What sort of mirrors ?

adrian_sm

1 MW
Wouldn't mind hearing what sort of mirrors people are using?

I have never used them on a bike before. Feel like ones hanging off the end of my handle bars would stop me squeezing by cars at lights. Are they any good?

What are the helmut mounted ones like?

Thanks,
Adrian

I have tried both the helmet-mounted and the handlebar-mounted mirrors. In both cases, they have given me motion sickness (which I am also prone to when in a boat, plane, or car). The handlebar-mounted mirror was not as bad as the helmet-mounted mirror. In either case, I find a quick glance back over my shoulder is far more effective.

I know of others who swear by their mirrors and would never ride without one. This is why there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream ... and, of course, some people prefer strawberry.

Just bought two of Mirrycles from Amazon for $11.00 each.

I have the same using it for many years they are well designed and built.

http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-mirrycle-mountain-bike

These make it easy to scan the whole road behind you by just moving your head slightly. One mirror works on all your bikes.

Z_235%20TALCM6.jpg

nutsandvolts said:

+1 for Mirrcycle...I got mine at Amazon for $14, though. I bought 4 of them for some unknown reason. I like it. I don't know if you notice it but it has two joints (not really adjustable joints) but you can push the mirror inward whenever you want to make tight fits like when you are putting your bike in the garage or passing cars or whatever.

Helmet mounted, as pat_smith says, one mirror works on all of the bikes that you ride.
It's doesn't get bumped when squeezing through gaps and is great for discretely checking out the 'darling' next to you while you are looking the other way. :wink: :roll:

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=11480

Purchased at my LBS for like $12, works great once you get it mounted & adjusted exactly right - i have it positioned in such a way that it doesn't stick out any farther than my handlebars. Cons: my view is obstructed slightly by my arm depending on how i'm sitting.

Also seen on ebay for around $4.

I use a Mirrycle . I don't have good luck with them but I keep buying them. I have found that a drop of locktite helps when you put them together. Otherwise the cap screws loosen up from making adjustments.

++ Mirrycle
Got 2, one on each side theses are sturdy mirrors, they got the vision way out of the handle bar whitout taking any space.

I have a Mirrycle on my Dahon Helios Folder (human powered), but I have been using a Thire Eye mirror on all my scooters for years now, and feel naked :shock: and vulnerable without one.

Attachments

• P1030987.JPG
    P1030987.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,409
Thanks everyone. Looks like the Mirrycle, and ThirdEye are the pick of the crop.

Now which to pick.

I like the idea of helmut mount, but don't like the
- dorky look, and
- feel like they are more vulnerable to damage.

Handle bar mount seem okay. But worried about :
- knocking it off on cars
- vibrations affecting image
- need to look down to see back, (not as convenient)
- need to place it such that I can see past my arm...

Maybe I'll just do my usual trick of buying both, and discarding the one I don't like. I don't think my shed is full enough with discarded toys. :)

pat_smtih said:
These make it easy to scan the whole road behind you by just moving your head slightly. One mirror works on all your bikes.

How cool! Here is something I built. Just used epoxy glue (JB-Weld) to attach the wire to the back of the mirror. Heatshrink tubing is the the little black parts.

Clips onto the eye glasses and works great. The only time any adjustment is needed is when you change eye glasses frames, and then only if your new frames are significantly different. And there is no problem of course with vibration or alignment. You can always point them exactly where you want.
myMirror.jpg

adrian_sm said:
I like the idea of helmut mount, but don't like the
- dorky look, and
- feel like they are more vulnerable to damage.
'
Mine and Pat_smith's are not actually helmet mount but eye glasses mount. At first I thought about the "dorky look" but then realized, if this is what a dork looks like then I guess I am a dork... I'm not trying to fool anybody.

I occasionally bump them as I go to scratch my nose or cheek etc. but they never slip out of place. I don't feel they are at all vulnerable to damage lest someone near me feels like punching out a dork. ;)

Could you please show a photo of how this attaches to glasses without falling off?

I have one of these on order and will be mounting it to the fork leg.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031134_-1_400029_400007_400246
40-1315-NCL-FRONT.JPG

I have used helmet/glasses mounted mirrors and couldn't get used to them. I have 3 or 4 other mirrors that are sitting in my garage that sucked. I am hoping this is the last one I will have to buy.

So what sucked?
Why couldn't you get used to them?

Wouldn't a fork mount put the mirror in a place hard to see?

Thanks, Adrian

Anymore people using bike mirrors? I'm thinking of maybe getting a helmet mounted one for my road bike and ebike. Reviews?

Mirrors suck...IMO.

By the time you can see FER SHURE that there is a car there, you can hear it.

And you spend your whole time looking in the mirror instead of watching for the car door.

You have ears...use them.

But my brother likes his handlebar mirror - we bought 2, mine lasted 1 ride. You want it?

Look at these motorcycle mirror brackets to fit 7/8" handlebars.
Emgo MIRROR BRACKET 10mm CHROME 20-28121
http://www.emgo.com/mirror_brackets.html
41m47wnQZNL._SS400_.jpg

Look at these Long Stem Motorcycle Mirrors
Product Description
Brand new pair of motorcycle mirrors (left and right) that are very comparable to stock OEM mirrors. These mirrors are for most Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki motorcycles with the 10mm clockwise thread. They have a steel chrome stem and the mirror is chromed ABS plastic. The shaft of these mirrors measures about 7" and the mirror itself is 6" wide and 3.75" tall. The long shaft moves the mirror further outward providing a much better rear view than stock mirrors.
31lpttOs7uL._SS400_.jpg

When you thread the mirror's threaded stud into the bracket, what keeps it from turning? How do you adjust it?

If they are like the one on my DayGlo Avenger, then that flared nut above the threaded stem is used as a locknut. Same thing on the mirror end of the support.

I got to looking at moostrodamus’s mirrors on this thread and we got to discussing his. Wuz going to start a thread about it, however this one will do just find.

Also Ref: Bar end mirrors

I have a couple of different sets and experiences with mirrors; allow me to detail:

• Crappy stick-on: Third Eye Pro Helmet Bicycle Mirror
    Absolute waste of money. No Stars. Won’t last a week. Flimsy attachment point. Nearly died trying to see out of it and keep my balance. :x
  • Bar-End #1: Mirrycle MTB Bar End Mountain Bicycle Mirror
    Very good! :) Downside: Can’t be mounted on carbon-fiber handlebars due to internal tapering.
  • Mirrors with integrated signals: Motorcycle Integrated BLK Turn Signals LED Side Mirrors

TurnSignalMirrors0.jpg

My first attempt; looked awesome online however these things are HUGE and HEAVY. Don’t forget to buy the crappy handlebar clamp: Emgo MIRROR BRACKET 10mm BLACK 20-28120. I think it’s made out of pot-metal. The threads are out of round. There’s no way they could take the stress of the mirror above. :x

Bar-End #2: Black Cafe Bar End Mirrors

BlackCafeBarEndMirrors.jpg

These work reasonably well, although they tend to rotate a little bit on the handlebar. They are not tall enough to clearly see over the shoulder. Not bad, but wishing for better. They are less heavy than the signal mirrors.
Still hunting for that great lightweight functional mirror.

Where the objects appear closer... KF

Heres the pics i sent Kingfish:

View attachment 1
My mirrors are just cheapo 5$ bicycle mirrors bought from Canadian Tire, that i softened up at the joints with a welding torch and bent so they would stick out farther. The way they come from the store they only thing you can see is your shoulders...hence the torch mod...

mirror.jpg

mount.jpg

I used a bit of scavenged rubber sheet to keep the mount from scratching the bars, the metal just deforms to fit the bars as you tighten it.

Link to Mirrors

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/BikesAccessories/BicycleAccessories/PRD~0734218P/Supercycle%252BConvex%252BRearview%252BMirror.jsp?locale=en

Works pretty good...I ride in heavy traffic most days...don't know how someone rides without mirrors....

Moo

Bergy said:
Here's a high tech solution
http://www.cerevellum.com/
That is pretty amazing! Price not announce though.

I can think of one application right off where if someone got too close you could have it take a photie. Better yet, there’s a region in northern California where seditious locals don’t like cyclists and think it’s fun sport to drive up right behind them and honk their horns to scare them off :evil:

Very promising.
Thanks for sharing! KF :)

Back