• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What was this guy thinking, Fliz Bike

IBScootn

100 W
Too funny: http://www.gizmag.com/fliz-bike-walking-cycling/23882/

If it were a trike, I can see where it would help those with knee problems that might preclude riding a regular pedal bike...but it would probably just give them back problems instead, depending on how that harness holds them "up". Then again, on a trike they could gear down so low that the knee issues wouldn't matter on even a pedal version.

So while it is interesting, I don't see any advantage of the bike over a pedal bike, and many disadvantages; a few of those are:
--harder to climb hills
--are tied to the bike so crashes could be more "interesting"
--Even in normal use, one could be injured from the harness if it's tie points aren't movable to accomodate different heights/body lengths/etc.

amberwolf said:
If it were a trike, I can see where it would help those with knee problems that might preclude riding a regular pedal bike.... Then again, on a trike they could gear down so low that the knee issues wouldn't matter on even a pedal version.

Street Flyer (trike)

streetflyer.JPG

:p

AussieJester said:
amberwolf said:
If it were a trike, I can see where it would help those with knee problems that might preclude riding a regular pedal bike.... Then again, on a trike they could gear down so low that the knee issues wouldn't matter on even a pedal version.

Street Flyer (trike)

:p

At least this one has a proper model showing it off and has adequate room behind her for a stoker... or a poker :wink:

That one looks better suited, since one has a place for feet when coasting, but it would need to be a tilting trike to get any real sensation of flying, I would think. :)

OK. So it is about the dorkiest thing I've ever seen. However, as a concept, it is interesting. When walking in hilly areas I have often thought how annoying it is to walk downhill; if you had wheels, you could just coast. On the flat, you waste all your momentum with another heel strike. Going up a steep hill, walking is pretty efficient relative to a bike; to go up a steep hill on a bike it seems to me you have to expend about the same amount of energy to go the same speed.

I have to wonder what the advantage over a regular scooter is however for solving the above efficiency issues. And you'd look ridiculous and you take up the space of several people walking. You would annoy the heck out of anyone walking. In the balance, however, I have to give some creativity points to whoever first thought of the idea. That was some out-of-the-box thinking there... "So, we could put the bike on TOP of the rider...."

Edit: all the above constraints are solved by a bike but a bike should travel on the road. Something that takes advantage of the efficiency of a wheeled vehicle that can travel on the sidewalk is what I was thinking of. Again, a scooter or skateboard might be the best you can do, practically speaking.

First thing that came to my mind was: Imagine crashing with this thing, with a belt holding your arse up and your head in a wishbone. :mrgreen:

fliz-bike-design-3.jpg

pdf said:
OK. So it is about the dorkiest thing I've ever seen. However, as a concept, it is interesting. When walking in hilly areas I have often thought how annoying it is to walk downhill; if you had wheels, you could just coast. On the flat, you waste all your momentum with another heel strike. Going up a steep hill, walking is pretty efficient relative to a bike; to go up a steep hill on a bike it seems to me you have to expend about the same amount of energy to go the same speed.

I have to wonder what the advantage over a regular scooter is however for solving the above efficiency issues. And you'd look ridiculous and you take up the space of several people walking. You would annoy the heck out of anyone walking. In the balance, however, I have to give some creativity points to whoever first thought of the idea. That was some out-of-the-box thinking there... "So, we could put the bike on TOP of the rider...."

Edit: all the above constraints are solved by a bike but a bike should travel on the road. Something that takes advantage of the efficiency of a wheeled vehicle that can travel on the sidewalk is what I was thinking of. Again, a scooter or skateboard might be the best you can do, practically speaking.

I read the first 3 sentences of your post and thought... "That's why I have a skateboard in my car at all times"

Fact of Life
Stupid Ideas = Funding
Need proof? What our wonderful government at work...

andrew.box said:
Funniest thing I've seen in a long while. Laughed until I cried. It just looks so idiotic.
The-Fliz-Bike-concept-FootPowered-Bike-2.jpg

With some improvements, like spring/shock suspension for the wheels, a different method of suspending the rider, and e-power, it's a viable concept. The pedals and other complicated human-drive components aren't necessary in a proper e-bike. And if they are omitted, the position of the rider is not so restricted.

VoKuS said:
Fact of Life
Stupid Ideas = Funding
Need proof? What our wonderful government at work...

I have to disagree to some extent. It is not stupid ideas that get funded (as basic research anyway), it is original ideas. Truly original ideas are as rare as hen's teeth. Most work is extremely derivative. People who can look at the same world as most people but see the truly original new concepts are not common. There is also a lot of funding that is based on extremely applied work, i.e; show me a gadget in 6 months or you are cut off. That is a different ball of wax. I think people misunderstand basic research. Sometimes solutions to problems come from unexpected places. Einstein once said, "“I have little patience with scientists who take a board of wood, look for its thinnest part, and drill a great number of holes where drilling is easy.”. Most of us are in the business of drilling many holes where the drilling is easy. Alexander Flemming "discovered" penicillin, supposedly, after taking a close look at contaminated Petri dishes and noticing that the bacteria he was culturing died where mold spores fell on the plates. Most people would simply have thrown out the plates and started over. Little known fact: a graduate student actually "discovered" penicillin several years before Flemming, but did not grasp the significance of the finding. It was a footnote in his lab notebook.

Anyway, that is my take on the issue. I work in research to fund my growing ebike habit and the toughest thing in the world is to abandon the tried and true and strike out in a new direction. Failures are many and success, if it comes at all, comes after years of hard work and frustration. I admire people with unconventional ideas. They are more rare than most people think.

This invention could be used as an effective form of birth control....

It's pretty bad. I can't believe someone thought it would be a winner. Bummer.

I mean, aside from the lavender stuff, how can you improve a design like this?

The standard bike is pretty darn perfect the way it is. You can always improve, but if someone's looking for a breakthrough, that contraption thingy at the top of the thread isn't it.

se-draft-lite-singlespeed-bike-blkmtt-all-12.jpg

moostrodamus said:
Early Fliz Tech....

LOL

Having said that, the trike looks almost OK, a bit safer too without having your head trapped in the wishbone, all exposed (It's not like you can break your fall with your hands like a normal bicycle).

Back