Why come no tadpole trikes with over seat steering?

Epithemeus

10 W
The only tadpole trikes I've seen with over/above seat steering are either things like the veemo (This, while cool I guess, not really interested in a bike car thing) or the zox trike. (This, I like this a lot but it's extremely expensive, 4000 euro) All of the mainstream tadpoles (unless my google fu is much weaker than I think) are under seat. I can only assume there's some downside to over seat tadpoles to explain the complete and utter dominance of under seat. I'd love to hear your thoughts about why it may be. Honestly the main reason I'd want an over seat is just appearance. I really quite dislike the look of under seat steering. So I'd welcome your opinions as well.

I'm admittedly out-of-bounds here, but I'd suspect the USS motive is driven by ergonomic bias.
I really quite dislike the look of under seat steering.
Easy fix... design and build what appeases you.

Last edited:
The only tadpole trikes I've seen with over/above seat steering are either things like the veemo (This, while cool I guess, not really interested in a bike car thing) or the zox trike. (This, I like this a lot but it's extremely expensive, 4000 euro) All of the mainstream tadpoles (unless my google fu is much weaker than I think) are under seat. I can only assume there's some downside to over seat tadpoles to explain the complete and utter dominance of under seat. I'd love to hear your thoughts about why it may be. Honestly the main reason I'd want an over seat is just appearance. I really quite dislike the look of under seat steering. So I'd welcome your opinions as well.
Entry and exit issue.
Above seat steering gets in the way of getting on / off the trike.
Wind Cheetah is the exception (no longer in production)

348762_title__41673_uPIlD0dj2.jpg

Entry and exit issue.
Above seat steering gets in the way of getting on / off the trike.
Wind Cheetah is the exception (no longer in production)

348762_title__41673_uPIlD0dj2.jpg
Oh that's a very good point given the target demographic. I am not that demographic so I didn't think about that. Also explains why you're much more likely to find above seat on a two wheeled bent.

The wind cheetah is really cool! I'd never ride it, but man, that's art!

I'm admittedly out-of-bounds here, but I'd suspect the USS motive is driven by ergonomic bias.

Easy fix... design and build what appeases you.
Wouldn't that be the dream! Even if I had access to the right equipment though I'd be way to much of a perfectionist and probably quit halfway through and sulk for a month :D

Thanks for the thoughts Papa and PaPa :p

Yeah, that's why I was going with USS on my first 'bent bike, the ReCycle (sooo imaginitive :oops:), but designing and building the remote steering proved too difficult for me at the time; that and ohter things meant I never finished that one.

Because it ended up only being semi-recumbent I went with OSS for the one I actually built, Crazybike2.

SB Cruiser is nearly upright-chair seating, so it has a tiller (remote steering would require bars that fold up out of the way for me to easily get on/off but still have close grips/etc for less stress on my hands/joints/etc, and that was all more complex than I could build then).

The only tadpole trikes I've seen with over/above seat steering
Actually, any 'direct steer' tadpole has above seat steering, as the steering control arms are above the level of the seat - they just aren't over the seat, probably for the entry/exit reason mentioned already. There may still be a connecting rod under the seat to link the two sides.

I don't think I'd like a central over-seat steering input arm - I'd have to push the arm away from the direction I was turning and possibly my upper body with it when my preference for balance is to lean into the turn.

The Wincheetah was built as a speed machine - lightweight, and rather narrow compared to current designs. I think at least one reason for the tiller was that it allows the rider to keep the arms "tucked in" rather than out to the sides, for a more aero approach.

To the OP - not sure what is distasteful in appearance for under-seat - the over seat challenge is that it does get in the way of getting into the seat, and also, it is hard to have steering in that position that is tough enough to allow the rider to pull themselves up from the seat using the bars, as one might naturally do.

Some of the TTs offer steering that counts as "above seat" I think:

To the OP - not sure what is distasteful in appearance for under-seat
I think I just dislike how it's split into two handlebar pieces instead of a single piece. A slightly practical reason is that it can make mounting handlebar accessories like displays etc. awkward, there are of course solutions to this but I again just dislike them :p I also think the more "chopper" style often found on lwb bents is just cool. It's completely subjective for sure so I've really been appreciating the more objective/practical reasoning in the thread.
I don't think I'd like a central over-seat steering input arm - I'd have to push the arm away from the direction I was turning and possibly my upper body with it when my preference for balance is to lean into the turn.
That's a very good point, I wonder why you can find lots of delta trikes with the central steerer given how tippy those are. The wheels on the zox trike I linked originally are quite a bit further forward than most trikes lengthening the wheelbase significantly, I don't know enough about trike dynamics to say how that affects balance.

Velomobiles often have OSS in a tadpole configuration, usually an elbows-in tiller configuration. The advantages and disadvantages are exhibited by various velomobiles, more complex mechanical design to fit a more confining the velo enclosure.

Back