Worn Out Lekkie Bling Ring??

I've owned a BBSHD-driven generic mountain bike for three years. I just installed a new 7 speed cassette (but only use 5 cogs), and a new Shimano HG-71 7 speed chain. However, I didn't change out the 42 tooth Lekkie Bling Ring. The test run had a "chainny noise" coming from the chain/chainring interphase. IThe chain doesn't seem to be engaging fully onto the chain ring. Did I ruin the teeth on my Lekkie Bling ring by using a worn out chain on it for the last 2000 miles? I reinstalled the old worn chain, and it ran smooth, as it did before I changed it out.GOPR0073 (Small).JPG What is going on?

a worn chain will wear the teeth of a sprocket to match itself. if the sprocket is aluminum this can happen rapidly.

a worn sprocket will wear the rollers of a chain to match itself (though this is usually slower process).

i'd reocmmend changing all sprockets (at both ends of the chainline) and the chain at the same time, if any of the parts have any significant wear on them.

the more wear there already is on the parts, the worse/faster they will wear new parts they're used with.

a good page:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

Why not compare your chainring with the profile of a new one. If it looks wildly sawtoothed, then assume that you will have drivetrain problems, and time for a new chainring.

Lekkie HD.jpeg

With narrow-wide chainrings like that, it’s pretty easy to tell if the narrow teeth are worn to a different shape than the wide ones. That’s a giveaway of substantial chain wear.

I once did a nylon gear and clutch transplant on a BBSHD based on the horrible busted noise it was making, only to find out it was the worn-out chainring all along.

Balmorhea said:
With narrow-wide chainrings like that, it’s pretty easy to tell if the narrow teeth are worn to a different shape than the wide ones. That’s a giveaway of substantial chain wear.

I once did a nylon gear and clutch transplant on a BBSHD based on the horrible busted noise it was making, only to find out it was the worn-out chainring all along.
Oh man, I think we've all been there. Big time dismantle something to repair, only to find out it was a simple 5 minute job all along, staring you right in the face :oops:

Thanks for all the responses- I didn't "measure" the chain with a "tool", but it was significantly longer than the new chain, sitting side by side, and this particular "assumed worn chain" has been on the ebike for over a year with about 1500 miles on it, and I do alot of hills. Since the Bling Ring is aluminum (I'm assuming because it's very light), I'm sure it's garbage by now. I got away with putting 4 previous new chains on it, but this round has produced a very noticeable chain to chainring noise, with a slapping-like motion of the chain, as it disengages off the chainring..... Alright looks like a Lekkie lasts for about 2 1/2 years, and about 4500 miles, at least for what I've been putting it through. Thanks again for all the replies. I guess I'm out another $100, but with what I've saved from gas, insurance, registration, DMV, smog, since I dumped my 2 internal combustion vehicles 5 years ago, I'm way ahead of the curve!

doubledipsoon said:
Since the Bling Ring is aluminum (I'm assuming because it's very light), I'm sure it's garbage by now. I got away with putting 4 previous new chains on it,

I wore out a stock BBS02 steel ring in about 2000 miles, while keeping a reasonably close eye on chain condition. That one ring went through three different chains, though one was bungled by shifting under power rather than by pitch wear.

I think it would be pretty swell for Luna or somebody else to make a steel or stainless steel narrow-wide ring to fit the Luna Eclipse carrier.

Back