Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

YPedal...i am extremely interested to see how the NuVinci holds up, i wish to use a 3 speed in my new bike
but have MAJOR concerns hrrrmmm maybe not concerns more like i know it wont stand up to it if pushed hard
Have you any concerns in this regard to the strength/reliability of the NuVinci or are you aware of its "possible"
shortcomings and thus treating it accordingly to ensure it's longevity? I know our mate Safe has blown three
speed Sturmey Archers with his setup and he isn't putting out quite as much stress through it...The NuVincis
are they built any stronger? If so im guessing they arent available ina extra wide format to suit a 4in wide rim LoL..

Ride it like you stole stole it YPedal MAKE IT PiiiiiSS :p

KiM

I'm definitely also interested knowing how the NuVinci holds up with high-power motor inputs, due to their warranty voiding if you use it that way--I'd like to know if it really will hold up anyway, or if I'd just be taking my chances.

Also I'd like to know what real efficiency it has--I've read anything from "great" to losing 15% or more of the energy put to the wheel!

I would just need to see one first hand in pieces to compare them to the Sturmey Archer i have disassembled its plain
as the nose on your face what breaks, theres too pieces of metal lil thicker than a match stick thats slide in a slot
in the axle these take the entire load. I think YPedal should be the revolutionary take one for the team and disassemble his for us all to see LOL j/k mate...Did i mention i could never get my 3 speed hub back together again?

Im confident they will hold up if treated lightly when starting off...

KiM

There are a number of videos and photos of the insides of the NuVinci around the web; it's basically a couple of rings and some not-quite-round balls, with levers and such to move things around inside so the balls make contact differently to each ring, with more or less diameter, to change the ratio of input to output.

That said, if you still have all (or most of) the pieces of the SA, and you were closer, I'd give a go at putting it back together. :)

Now, one thing i have to point out here, i don't mind feeding the beast a big meal ( ah ) if i have to, all i need is a 20 km range really.. if the whole system holds up to my abuse and does not fall apart, i will gladly trade efficiency for reliability..

I'm just so used to hub motors this is all new to me and feels weird.. :mrgreen:

edit : oh , i also figurd how how to accelerate charging of my 6 pack !!.. if i set my Thunder Power charger to 5 cells LiPo i get 21v, that's 3.5v per cell for the PSI's.. the 2ah VP chargers can top them off from there for a 2 hr charge max.. acceptable ! :wink:

WoW! The NuVinci is totally different to the old 3 speeds isn't it! Now the question is there any chance that spacers could be used in order to get a sprocket clearing a 20 x 4.25 tyre/rim combo YPedal man? From the video it appears to have a very long axle! A 175mm from locknut to locknut is required on the 4.25x20 in rims...whats you think is it doable ?

More importantly though how far are we away from video buddy? Im oober keen to see this beast in action!!!

KiM

Pack is charging now !!! video as soon as all green lights come on ! (then i have to edit it.. and load on YT... :| )

The spacing won't work at 170mm.. i could barely fit it inot the TF frame at 135mm + thickness of frame, the gear change pod on the right takes up threads and it has to seat agains the shoulder of the axle in order for the shift rod to work.. longer axles may be available but mine would not do for sure... :(

Double bummer cheers for that info mate...Tiz 11PM here im battling to keep my eyez open I 'll have something to look forward when i come to check the Latest Posts on ES in the morning :) .DON'T Forget your skid lid (Helmet)

KiM

!ER%G!#$%.... helmet on, camera running, off i go.. no more than 10 ft and something is " wrong " ... slippage... look down and final 18t freewheel not turnnig around.. set screw issue....

got it off and am dimpling the shaft.... take 2 ... :evil:

edit : With ENO off, inspection reveals the other side is also slipping...( on the 2nd stage chain, bigger proket opposite ENO... dimpling that too ! )

Great video!

p.s. Y-pedal, can you explain how the camera was setup to have such a nice non-shaking film.

Daniel

Excellent video YPedal very impressive mate, hahaa had to giggle on the run back that Silver car on your left wanted no part of you passing him/her hehehe Whats sort of speed were you doing on the way back mate looked like you were fairly pissin' along there!? Love the gear changes so smooth DAMN i wish NuVinci made a wide hub grrrr....Hows the motor temperature now? Within acceptable levels still? Have to say your got some shocking road conditions there you had to swerve to miss ruts/potholes need to be on the ball!....How bigs the EV Grin now mate? LoL OH...And that ain't noisy, ill get some sound of the old trike going thats NOISY hahaa...

Congrats on a fine build buddy very impressive!

KiM

The roads here are as bad or worse than that in many places (especially around where I live). The worst parts are not the holes, but rather the ridges on the edges and corners, where the asphalt melts in the sun and is pushed up as cars pass, especially as they brake for turns and stops.

I was thinking about that rim width problem.

I assume you need to both widen the axle and the spoke flange distance?

For the axle, what if on one or both ends you thread on some steel tubing on the outside of the axle, all the way to the hub faces, then thread inside of that tubing another (hollow) axle stub long enough to reach your wide dropouts with enough to spare for the shifter/etc?

For the flanges, what if you got some steel or aluminum tubing with very thick walls, a bit larger outside diameter as the flanges, and drilled a ring of holes into the edge of the wall, lined up with the spoke holes. Then tap threads into them, and tighly clamp the tube to the flanges with screws. There's enough there that even with small screws it should hold tightly, at least with the steel. Probably even with the aluminum if it was hard enough. Then weld a new flange to the other end that you'd actually use for spokes.

Actually the flanges dont need to be wide i run trike hubs now on a set of 4.25 wide rims and they are standard width. You need axle length and sprocket placement. Having long unsupported axles though wouldn't instil alot of confidence in me strength wise...I shall stick with the Extra Wide Sturmy Archer hub for time being maybe when/if ...haha no when i blowz him up ill attempt to beef it up somewhat?

KiM

In that earlier video, it was full throttle all the way, the RPM varies according to the gear range, cruising on the flats lowest possible gear, full throttle is 40 to 45 amps.. and 40 km/h

On the return trip, wind at my back, slight grade downhill most of the way, traffic goes 60 km/h in this zone, and i'm following traffic ! :wink: You can hear the lower RPM as i loaded the motor more with 60 amps constant, and it will pull all sorts of crazy amps if i gear up some as i'm only using half the nuvinci's range right now.... but i'm pushing it enough for now..

My battery is the limitting factor , 10ah of PSI pushed at 100 amps ( 10C ) gets hot.. and in that 9 minute video i burned up 7ah ! .. i'm thinking 25ah worth of LiPo should do the trick.. :twisted:

You don't know quiet until you ride a Hub Motor.. at speed you simply can't hear a hub, dead silent( compared to wind in your face ) .. this thing is LOUD.. but a good loud.. :wink: I'm getting used to the scream.. growing on me a bit..

Chest Cam :
[youtube]MkTZ9Rtp8qs[/youtube]

Ypedal said:
I'm getting used to the scream.. growing on me a bit..

Yeah i prefer motor noise over silence myself grew up racing two stroke motocross bikes so a lil lecky motor whine doesn't phase me in the least... :) I REALLY love the sound of outrunners over the inrunners though they sound like a turbine IMO
awesome sound at full noise :) Would LOVE one of these big Turnigy outrunners in a RC heli MAN would that be some serious RC heli...

Recumpence suggested changing the sprocket is this also on the cards for better efficiency? Either way im seriously impressed with the setup i think you have done an awesome job fitting the drive up with basic tools, very professional finish mate well done indeed :) Bit more tweaking im sure you will improve it even more, does the handling feel better than the hub, i guess on the road it would be hard to tell, when on the trails it would be more noticeable i gather?

KiM

Nice ride Ypedal :shock: , thanks for the video!

It is great to see your project come together. :D It looks like you had fast acceleration and a lot of torque on launch, I imagine it pulls much stronger than a 5305 or Puma/BMC.

-JD

Yours is actually quieter than mine. :)

I like the NuVinci. It looks like you can change ratios at will. Can you "downshift" under load? The 3-speed hubs let you upshift under load, but you have to let up on the throttle to downshift.

-- Gary

My turnigy works using a belt drive and it's actually pretty quiet (When I got everything set up correctly). It's no where near as noisy as that is.

I kind of wonder how quiet the belt-for-high speed reduction + chain for slow-torque tranmission system is... Chains seem quieter the slower they go.

Great vid it is! Really shows how it is out on the roads at speed. Nice job on the bike and the camera mount as well. Appreciate the time you spent to get all that info to us. Thanks.

Back