Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

Ypedal said:
Got to work !!! used 3.4ah ( my usual hub motor 48v BMX will use 1.8 !!! :shock: )

I hope i make it back tonight tho.. the 2nd stage #25 chain is giving me trouble, not sure if it's a bad bearing or if the chain alignment is the issue, or if the 45t gear if warped but something is grinding/pulsating in there once she warms up... :evil: .....

Might be just me having a bad day at work, but the more i ride this bike the more i like my hub motors....... :|

Complexity is the mother of frustration............

I feel your pain, Man.

Matt

amberwolf said:
Yeah...owie.

Wow! Hope you are OK. Did the chain snap?

-JD

oatnet said:
Wow! Hope you are OK. Did the chain snap?
No, it just SPANGED and bent the ring, at the leading edge during that rotation. I am guessing it was slightly misaligned, and all that torque.... Chain is fine, I'm fine, bike is fine, chainring is artwork. :)

Ok.. so after some investiating, last time i took the drive apart to divot my shafts for the set screws i spaced everything to line up my chains perfectly, however, this left some shaft spaces between the sprokets and the bearings, the shafts creep to one side resulting in both chains gonig off-course and rap rap rap.....

Tried all i could to get the 2nd stage sproket off the shaft, nope, she's on there for good !! ( twisted my a T-handles for all i could without breaking them.. ) so i went to work on the chainring side.

Added a shim to the shaft..

Attachments

• 2ndstage.JPG
    2ndstage.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,920
Put the 16t eno back on and cha-ching, clean running chain ! 8)

Now.. next up is more testing and i've even gone to HK and put a pile of lipo in the shopping cart, then came to my senses and backed out, too close to winter, must wait for next season before investing in more chargers, Gary parts etc..

So.. i came up with a temp solution...

This is my 4 year old LiMn packs, 36v 20ah each, they are 2C cells but with 40ah worth 2C is 80 amps.. 30lbs in a backpack is a bit much but will be good enough for now.

So is 5 C good or bad for you folks up above Yankee land this time of year? Bubba was ridding in shorts today in the great state of North Carolina.

Bubba

That is cold from this Southern boys perspective. I missed the neg sign. Winters have been mild lately down this way, but there have been a few times in the past when the water in my water bottle has started freezing during a ride. That was back when I could keep up with the racer boys and rode 6 days a week. It was before the kid and all those family obligations got in the way of ridding. Now the kid is about to graduate from college and I hope to get back to more riding.

Bubba

Ypedal said:
This is my 4 year old LiMn packs, 36v 20ah each, they are 2C cells but with 40ah worth 2C is 80 amps..

Are those the Falcon specials from summer of '07?

Those 5 degree C temps bring back bad memories of life before we moved here - it was typical 71 F here today with typical clear blue skies :p

-JD

oatnet said:
Those 5 degree C temps bring back bad memories of life before we moved here - it was typical 71 F here today with typical clear blue skies :p

-JD

Yeah, my kids whine like three-year olds when it dips down into the 60s, and they're in their 20s. :roll: :mrgreen:

So tonight i loaded up the 36v 40ah pack in a backpack.. well.. that's just too much weight to have on one's shoulders but it did prove something interesting, at 36v and very modest throttle usage ( i know... NOT what i had in mind for this bike !!! ) it is alot more efficient of a system at 36v !

I ran up and down the street a pile of times at like 20% throttle adjusting the gear range and staring at the C.A. i can cruise on 20 amps up slight grade and 12 amps on level ground if i hold the throttle every so still.. more mileage to pile on and re-evaluate..

Chains are running nice and smooth btw !!! :D :D :D I love a quiet chain, i'm weird like that but any system vibration or ricketyrack drives me freakin batty...

Pure luck that the seat post on my Norco is the same as the TidalForce frame !!!! :D

Attachments

• 36v40ah-rack.JPG
    36v40ah-rack.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,896
Ypedal said:
I ran up and down the street a pile of times at like 20% throttle adjusting the gear range and staring at the C.A. i can cruise on 20 amps up slight grade and 12 amps on level ground if i hold the throttle every so still.. more mileage to pile on and re-evaluate..

Voltage and amperage without mentioning speed?

oatnet said:
Ypedal said:
This is my 4 year old LiMn packs, 36v 20ah each, they are 2C cells but with 40ah worth 2C is 80 amps..

-JD

Yep, that be them.. Pack 1 has a dented cell on no.9 ( got it this way from fev ) that has caused it to show a 0.6v drop but somehow still survives, Pack 2 is relatively in good condition, they show their age that's for sure, I suspect the RC bike will kill them off.. :twisted:

lifepo4ever said:
I hope we will see a video one day :D

There already has been one in case you missed it, scroll back a few pages for it...we
of course do EXPECT to see another in the near future when YPedal man has finished 'tweaking'

Good too hear you have the chain issues sorted to mate :) Do i sense Lipos in Ypedals future hehe

KiM

Ypedal said:
oatnet said:
Ypedal said:

-JD

Yep, that be them.. Pack 1 has a dented cell on no.9 ( got it this way from fev ) that has caused it to show a 0.6v drop but somehow still survives, Pack 2 is relatively in good condition, they show their age that's for sure, I suspect the RC bike will kill them off.. :twisted:

My 15ah one has @100 cycles on it, my 10ah has a dead BMS I never replaced, I haven't used them forever so I have no idea how they stand. Not much I can do with 36v30a these days :roll: but I remember when that was the first 'safe' lithium chemistry we could buy... I don't think they are 4 years old though, they just seem that way.

The bike is really shaping up into something wild - I too am looking forward to your next video installment. Any idea of wh/m you are getting at 36v?

-JD

The black boxes are prismatic 20ah cells Li Manganese, looked back on my projects page and looks like it was 2007, but the pack with the dented cell is older.. either way they will do for now until i switch to LiPo in 2010 !!! :twisted:

Re-post of the video on page 21 or so.. not a new one but for those who missed it back then. :wink: ( gets more interesting at the 5 minute mark )
[youtube]PvsAqwSg1iE[/youtube]

That is great news!

So, if you got the reduction down even further, you would get much better efficiency. Or you could run a larger motor with lower KV. You had just been running that motor way beyond its efficiency range before.

Anyway, it is looking very nice, ineed! :)

Matt

Back