Yamaha YZ450F

Thanks, it was just the top one on the first picture I had to add material on.
Otherwise there would have been a thin section, the 3 cells to the left are all parallel. So especially where they meet the 4:th cell would be a weak spot.

I cant really shake off that maybe I should go 28s11p instead of 30s10p like this is..
It is nice to be able to use the same chargers as the other bike, but less controller options :unsure:

Alright, so now it is pretty much no turning back as I ordered the busbars.

I asked if they could include a few extra of the small square pieces that welds to the cells, so I could do some testwelds on old cells.
But they couldent understand what I wanted, after some back and forth they asked me to send a picture.

Jx8ogPO.jpg

I sent this, and got the reply "those are included" and they sent a picture of a battery pack with welded busbars.
I gave up after that :rolleyes:

The copper plates arrived a few days ago:

4JjQey4.jpg

About 2kg for one battey :confused:
Maybe I should have asked for 0,5mm thick, they suggested 1mm and I didnt disagree.
As I dont have any weak spots really, 0,5mm should be more than enough I think.
My weakest is 3 parallel cells have to share a 30mm wide "passage". So now it is 30mm2, in 0,5mm it would still be 15mm2.

Alright, so now it is pretty much no turning back as I ordered the busbars.

I asked if they could include a few extra of the small square pieces that welds to the cells, so I could do some testwelds on old cells.
But they couldent understand what I wanted, after some back and forth they asked me to send a picture.

Jx8ogPO.jpg

I sent this, and got the reply "those are included" and they sent a picture of a battery pack with welded busbars.
I gave up after that :rolleyes:
Can you post your listing of the product you ordered? Because it probably defines the thickness of the nickel they use. And you could just order the same thickness nickel, in separate strip form, for your test welds to find your settings.
About 2kg for one battey :confused:
Maybe I should have asked for 0,5mm thick, they suggested 1mm and I didnt disagree.
As I dont have any weak spots really, 0,5mm should be more than enough I think.
My weakest is 3 parallel cells have to share a 30mm wide "passage". So now it is 30mm2, in 0,5mm it would still be 15mm2.
Don't feel bad, I just put 3.6kg of copper onto my battery!

Anyway, You'll have much less resistance with the 1mm copper, that will be nice

No need to worry about 1 or 2 kg , I have installed 120mm² copper bus bars 3mmx40mm.
Only a little bit oversized. 😉 My battery can do 800A continous.
The other option I had was 0.8x40mm which was mechanicaly to weak for me.
Screenshot_20240418_233011_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post your listing of the product you ordered? Because it probably defines the thickness of the nickel they use. And you could just order the same thickness nickel, in separate strip form, for your test welds to find your settings.
Problem is that it is not nickel, I think it is nickel plated copper. And there is a slit in the middle.
What's your anticipated peak battery current?
10p of molicell p45b, so I suppose 450A, maybe I can go a little higer for my short 2sec bursts? 500 or so.

Suddenly without any warning these turned up:

jgvY3XE.jpg

The tracking number I got still hasnt moved..
I have been chasing info about how to decipher the numbers, eventually I found this:

4nUW7Re.jpg

I suppose that means they should be manufactured 18:th January 2024?
All the cells I have looked at has the exact same numbers, not sure if that is a good or bad thing?

bSlMz3o.jpg

kRmAMs8.jpg

Under the wrap.
So, I think there are 3 possibilities here:
1: everything is fine, they are newly manufactured molicel P45B.
2: They are factory rejects, like B, C grade or something.
3: They are fake.

I think 2 are less likely as they seem to all be the same batch as they have the same numbers?
If they dont discard whole batches when they discover a problem, that might actually be kind of likely :unsure:

Back