You're sitting on your penis

mdd0127 said:
Sorry, but the words recumbent and solution shouldn't be combined in the same sentence. :wink:
But it is a solution to this particular problem. ;) Might not be the one you like, prefer, or can use, but it does work for some of us quite well. :p

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
a couple of folds of man meat under my butt cheeks add that much needed extra inches of padding
These guys were having a civilised discussion about bike seats and you go clogging the thread up with your homosexual desires... :roll:

:p :mrgreen:

Its what i do best you know that Jay, sheesh :p

mdd0127 said:
KiM!!! Your post made me bust out laughing and wake up my wife!

HAHA soz mate :mrgreen:

KiM

Ok, so I have been worrying about this a bit as sometimes on the way to work which is 12 miles, I get really really uncomfortable pins and needles in my shlong!

It's not even a nice sensation as it is unbearably sensitive...like when you get it in your foot and someone keeps treading on it because they think its funny...which it is when someone else has it :)

It's only on the bike I sometimes use with a thin horrible saddle, so I will be looking at these new saddles for sure.

My other bike has a big fat ladies arse style saddle which is much nicer.

amberwolf said:
mdd0127 said:
Sorry, but the words recumbent and solution shouldn't be combined in the same sentence. :wink:
But it is a solution to this particular problem. ;) Might not be the one you like, prefer, or can use, but it does work for some of us quite well. :p

Didn't mean to offend anyone for sure. I'm glad your works well for you. Probably because it's customized!

Recumbents just don't make sense to me. I tried a recumbent once and to my mechanically thinking mind, the whole recumbent thing made a lot more problems than solutions. It was really difficult to keep my feet up in the air and felt like my legs were fighting gravity the whole time. Gravity was also pulling the nards down into the thigh crusher zone. Even though there were toe straps, I was very worried about running over my feet, or falling over trying to get into/out of the straps. Then I realized that since I couldn't look back, under my arm, I couldn't look back behind me at all. While trying to contort into a position where I could get a glance behind me, a 3 inch curb came up way too fast(4mph). Since I had no weight on the front end and couldn't transfer any, the brake was useless so I hit the curb and crashed. The ten foot chain fell off and got all wound up in everything. I DID run over my feet......well, one foot. And worst of all, I wanted to bail before I hit the tiny curb but couldn't. Post wreck, I stood there and thought how I'd fix each problem I encountered on it and it wasn't too long before I'd invented a regular mountain bike.... :wink:

Well, that's one of several reasons I abandoned ReCycle, which would've been a lowracer 'bent, probably the one you were riding was as well. It's why I went with semi-recumbent instead, which while it has it's drawbacks is better than either lowracer or regular bike. I get the partially-upright suspended-mesh seating, with option to sit upright if I don't need back support, can plant my feet on the ground easily for stops, has a shorter chain than the lowracer, but is significantly longer than either kind of bike usually is (but about the same as a typical longtail cargo bike). Can still easily turn my head to see behind me, or just use my 'bar mirror like always (though I wouldn't have one if it were USS instead, like ReCycle was).

The biggest benefit to me is the seating, and was my primary reason for building *any* 'bent--so I could have a suspended-mesh seat, or at least a full chair-style seat, to support my whole body in a partly-reclined position, like the comfiest of car seats and desk chairs tend to be.

I'd've just stuck such a seat onto my regular bike, but the only way to do it was to put it over the rear wheel, behind the axle, and that wouldn't work out very well without moving the rear wheel back, and also moving the handlebars back...so that's how CrazyBike2 was born. :)

Yea, i agree and it didnt take me long to work out that sitting on my stock saddle was going to do me damage.

Spacey said:
I get really really uncomfortable pins and needles in my shlong!
This is REALLY bad, and you should look at this immediately. Pins and needles are caused by insufficient / no blood flow to the nerves in the specific area. Basically the pains you feel are the nerve endings gasping for oxigentated blood flow. the acompanying numbness is the nervs loss of the ability to send signals to your brain due to not having the oxgen to function correctly. Anything that inhibits the ability for nerves to do their job, especially in that area is obviously very bad and repeated or long term symptoms can lead to permentantly damaged nerves.

i have used a saddle very similar to http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportourer-...MW/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1309345879&sr=8-36 for 2 years now and i found that this is the best releaver of preassure on that area whilst still allowing you to grip the nose on a saddle to ride non handed or to aid in throwing the bike arround when riding hard.

It's happened twice, have changed the seat as it scared the crap out of me.

theRealFury said:
Yea, i agree and it didnt take me long to work out that sitting on my stock saddle was going to do me damage.

Spacey said:
I get really really uncomfortable pins and needles in my shlong!
This is REALLY bad, and you should look at this immediately. Pins and needles are caused by insufficient / no blood flow to the nerves in the specific area. Basically the pains you feel are the nerve endings gasping for oxigentated blood flow. the acompanying numbness is the nervs loss of the ability to send signals to your brain due to not having the oxgen to function correctly. Anything that inhibits the ability for nerves to do their job, especially in that area is obviously very bad and repeated or long term symptoms can lead to permentantly damaged nerves.

i have used a saddle very similar to http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportourer-...MW/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1309345879&sr=8-36 for 2 years now and i found that this is the best releaver of preassure on that area whilst still allowing you to grip the nose on a saddle to ride non handed or to aid in throwing the bike arround when riding hard.

AussieJester said:
I'm hedging my bets here that the previous posts were made by frock motor users! ya bunch of fairies with whimpy peeen'I' :mrgreen: :p when my saddle gets a lil hard on the butt i whip my shhhh-long between my legs, a little like Hyena does with his tuck-n-tape scenario when he's cross dressing, but without the duct tape holding my weapon of mass snatch destruction up instead, a couple of folds of man meat under my butt cheeks add that much needed extra inches of padding for on those bumpy trails ;-P :mrgreen:

KiM

ah so thats why you ride 'hard tail'...s

When I was heavily into duathlon and triathlon I spent alot of time and money looking for a cure to the seat issue. (Expensive seats were a temp fix - kinda like new sneakers for the first 3 weeks.) The discomfort was compounded with a set ot powercranks with 5 lb weights attached to each. Aside from the normal discomfort, what I found is on a standard angle road bike, when you try to get "aero" the pressure on said area rises. This also can cause the upper quad to hit the chest. I fabricated a seat mount to bring myself over the pedals (at about 92 degrees). This worked well for any pain and never had to come out of an aero tuck - not even to climb. The downside is more pressure on the arms and shoulders since the weight is moved forward from the seat to the aero bars.

The only other upright bike seat that ever worked well is the one on a 1948 Colorflow I still have. The massive springs on the seat do allow it to tip significantly downward if you lean forward.

The final solution was as others have noted: a recumbent. I have three of those now and even the Colorflow (springer front, etc) can't even come close to the comfort.

-CrazyJerry

here's a few comfy seats!

The Cloud 9 12x12 gel seat is the absolute bomb for ebikes, where sitting is the norm. http://cloud9seats.com/index.htm

My upgrade from that seat was to a recumbent, but if you pedal a lot (long non ebike rides, maybe 10+ miles), it is a bit too wide, at least for me. My wife loves hers on her non-electric beach cruiser, so it just depends on your use. For relaxing rides, it is great, look no further.

For a more "normal" style seat on my regular bikes, I actually bought three of these Bontrager seats, I liked them so much. Comfy padding, but not too much. http://bontrager.com/model/07730

Request - can the OP change the Thread topic from "You're.........." to "She's..........."????

Its painful to watch......

No new research, just a review of the lit:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20102446
J Sex Med. 2010 Jul;7(7):2346-58. Epub 2010 Jan 19.
Bicycle riding and erectile dysfunction: a review.
Sommer F, Goldstein I, Korda JB.
SourceDepartment of Urology, Institute of Men's Health, University Medical Centre Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany. sekretariat@maennergesundheit.info

Abstract
INTRODUCTION: For many years, reports in the literature have implicated bicycle riding as causing increased risk of erectile dysfunction (ED). Perineal compression during cycling has been associated with the development of sexual complications.

AIM: To review current literature on the rationale for ED from bicycle riding and outcome of bicycle riding on erectile function and to present available research on preventative measures specifically regarding bicycle riding.

METHODS: A systematic comprehensive literature review.

RESULTS: There is a significant relationship between cycling-induced perineal compression leading to vascular, endothelial, and neurogenic dysfunction in men and the development of ED. Research on female bicyclists is very limited but indicates the same impairment as in male bicyclists. Preventative measures including use of a properly fitted bicycle, a riding style with a suitable seat position and an appropriate bicycle seat can help prevent impairment of erectile function.

CONCLUSIONS: There is a need for further research on safe bicycle and bicycle seat design and investigations that address the underlying mechanisms leading to cycling-related sexual dysfunction in both male and female bicyclists.

Ok, I promised you guys a review when I got a new saddle and I'm delivering a double review. I ended up ordering an Adamo Peak saddle, got it setup right, went on a ride, and for the first 5 minutes it was really strange, not painful or anything, just strange. Once I got used to my sit bones actually sitting on something, it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden. There is no pressure at all on the goodies and pedaling feels very easy and natural. The Peak model has a leather like outer shell and stiffer gel stuffing. It's extended a little in the rear to make it easier to get behind it for serious downhill descents and has a neat little grab handle built in. The rails are long too, giving it a wide range of adjustability. The only issue I encountered was not setting the seat level during the initial setup. This was very uncomfortable. Setting the seat level with the ground is a must on these. Basically, the only way you could really tell how nice this seat feels to ride is to try one........I can't really put the feeling into words but swapping between my wife's bike with the regular seat and the Adamo seat is a huge contrast in comfort.

The next day, I was in the bike shop gathering up parts for a few builds and I saw an ISM Adamo Typhoon seat hanging from a hook way up high. It was the roadie version with thick squishy gel and a lycra cover. It was on sale for $75 because it was slightly used. It's even lighter and softer than the Peak model so I picked it up, thinking that if I liked it, I could send the other one back and save some money. I rode the Typhoon and it's super amazingly comfy around town, almost like sitting on an ergonomically prefect cloud. Then I took it on the trails. The lycra/spandex type covering liked to grab my shorts and bunch them up when shifting around on the trail. Maybe if I wore lycra pants it wouldn't be so bad but I'm a cut off army fatigues type of guy so that's not happening. As long as you don't have to shift seating positions too often, I can't imagine how a saddle could be more comfortable.

So I ended up keeping both saddles. The Peak model will go on my downhill rig and the Typhoon will go on my soon to be Astro powered Mongoose Masher dirt jumper! Any bike I sell from now on will be equipped with an Adamo saddle and people can change them out if they want. I never liked the old designs and knew they were causing harm and everyone I've talked to about the Adamo seats thinks they look too weird to even consider, which is unacceptable to me. There are hundreds of saddles out there that are hurting people and wasting resources and they have no competition because people are brainwashed into the "look" of them. Well, anyone that wants to test ride or buy one of my electric bikes is going to have to consider one.....at least until the bike leaves my sight......
There's no sense in people continuing to injure themselves on old technology just because ergonomically correct saddles look weird.

Common saddles don't hurt everyone. Some will be better, some might be worse. A saddle is so personnal, like pedals, most high end bicycles come without any included. Let the client try and make a decision for himself.

MadRhino said:
Common saddles don't hurt everyone. Some will be better, some might be worse. A saddle is so personnal, like pedals, most high end bicycles come without any included. Let the client try and make a decision for himself.

There is significant research that suggests otherwise, and it's backed by my personal experience. I've probably tried 50 different saddles and these Adamo ones blow them all away in comfort. Sure, I rode a lot of miles on those other saddles and my wang still works but I'm not taking chances. The post ride tingly, warm, pulsing feeling was my junk telling me it just got smashed for a while. That's a thing of the past now. :wink:

About clients making decisions for themselves....generally, people are too ignorant and vain to make intelligent decisions for themselves. We as inventors need to design things that are fun, useful, safe, reliable, sustainable, and with ergonomics in mind. Once the people see other open minded folks having fun and getting good value, maybe they'll open up their minds and try it out. I hate it when marketing fools do a survey of a bunch of ignorant folks, then tell you your product won't sell because of the numbers. Over the years, I've found that most people actually have NO IDEA what they want. They might think they know what they want, but usually, when they get it, they re disappointed......or could have bought something way more appropriate for what they wanted to do.

I tried to get the word out there and convince consumers that they should make a statement with the way they spend their money and through various exchanges, I've come to the conclusion that consumers are too distracted to even think about what I said. My request for sanity used to be my in signature but even though it was totally positive and well intentioned, it seemed to offend more people than it helped. So now I guess I'm calling out to the designers and manufacturers of the world. Please quit designing and selling CRAP.....like saddles that cut off blood flow, underpowered, unsafe e-bikes, low quality batteries.......we only have so many resources and in the end, consumers will buy what they're sold.

My customers are going to have to at least be open minded, otherwise, they can go buy something that's most likely lower quality from someone else. :wink:

Have you ever heard of those restaurants where the chef cooks what he wants to cook and there's no menu at all??? Usually, it takes months to get a reservation at a place like that and the meal is really expensive. However, it's usually a phenomenal meal and an experience to remember. You wouldn't dare asking the chef to substitute ingredients in that situation because it would be an insult to his craft. This is what I'd like to model my e-bike business from.

The current consumer industry is more like a McDonalds though. You can go in, get whatever you think you want, even though it has no nutritional value and is probably killing you, and once you're done horfing it down, you have a nice big pile of garbage to deal with. You can get anything made the exact way you want it...if you're lucky....and it's still gross.......yet billions and billions are served. The fact that McDonalds is still in business even though it's widely known that it's HORRIBLE, says something about consumers and the state of our world. I'm not taking their input in my designs or parts choices. If they want to swap seats and cause themselves permanent injuries, fine, but my bikes will come with safe, comfortable saddles.......

mdd0127 - you are spot on. Research has concluded that the more choices people have, the less happy they are, and the least likely that are to end up with the right product. This study was done with a grocery store in mind, but I believe it applies to the larger picture. It's the illusion of choice in a society where we never have enough time to make honest, educated decisions.

mdd0127 wrote:generally, people are too ignorant and vain to make intelligent decisions for themselves...

Dangerous ideology, IMO

I don't think he is saying people are stupid, or care more about looks than function. People honestly don't have the resources to make an informed decision about saddles. They want what every one else has because, well, everyone else including the pros have it, so it must work for them. Of course we all know about the sacrifices cyclists make in competing.

YhoRC.jpg

I'm definitely not saying that all people are stupid. What I'm saying is that all people can't be expected to know everything about everything. With all of the misleading marketing and other distractions going on in their lives, it's really difficult to make good decisions about everything. So......companies/designers that produce CRAP, just because they know that someone will buy it in ignorance, need to be exposed and eliminated. I would like a heart surgeon to be a good heart surgeon and study that, not e-bikes.....unless he just wants to of course. In our society though, if that heart surgeon wants an e-bike but doesn't want to become an e-bike expert and build one himself....or doesn't have time to, he's probably going to get ripped off and get a piece of junk......because that's basically what's available and advertised. (I'm not saying that all bikes are junk, just the easy to find ones.)

How can we fix this? People that are experts and have done their research should be encouraged to come up with new products that solve problems, such as........ bicyclist's oxygen starved penises, in environmentally friendly, sustainable ways if possible. Manufacturers should start selling these items once they've proven to be better than their predecessors and phase the bad designs out altogether instead of riding each design until it quits selling. The consumers, politicians, and bankers have absolutely proven that their judgement can't be trusted when it comes to keeping the economy rolling so who's left??? The manufacturers and inventors. I guess the future is in our hands?

Just popped into the local Giant dealer and found an interesting saddle. Checked their web site and found lots of saddles with big holes in the right place.

Check out Flow 1, Luxe 2, Venture 4, and Silk 3. I'm definitely going to look closer.

--
Bill

My roadie saddle (Fizik Aliante) with padded bike shorts is comfortable, but it's partly because I stand often. For an ebike, it would definitely not work.

That Adamo saddle looks good, but it is hard as heck on your sit bones, not much padding. Good for time trialing on a road bike with bike shorts, and that is it.

Just make sure you aren't in discomfort whatever you ride, you should be fine if you aren't hurting or numb.

auraslip said:
I don't think he is saying people are stupid, or care more about looks than function. People honestly don't have the resources to make an informed decision about saddles. They want what every one else has because, well, everyone else including the pros have it, so it must work for them. Of course we all know about the sacrifices cyclists make in competing.

I've been a roadie for 12 years, take a look at my legs, they look quite normal, except for being more muscular than average, yet skinny, and I also don't need to shave my legs. I am not a pro, though I understand the sport well and have raced competively as an amatuer. I've rarely ever heard about fellow riders having issues with their saddles. We seem to find what works and it's not an issue. Nearly everyone rides traditional saddles. I think the Adamo saddles are a good direction to move, though I think the road ones are too hard and need more cushion. Otherwise, yes, they are superior.

What's the most comfortable saddle in the picture?

I will be selling the ISM Century saddle. It still gave me issues, on soft tisse. The soft cutout saddle in back was what I was riding for a while, but that wasn't working either.

The white Kona saddle was great today, felt perfect, like it really support my tailbones and no other stuff. Perhaps it's because I angled it further down than the other two? Angle seems to be a huge factor. Angle your saddles nose down!

Attachments

• 810 060.jpg
    810 060.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4,269
  • 810 061.jpg
    810 061.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 4,269
Back