Zundapp Bella 153 QS 138 Conversion

MDG

100 W
So I’m in the midst of doing 3 conversions back to back. A Honda C200, a Zundapp Bella and another Honda CA160! All using 138 70H mid drives.

I already did a post of the C200 but thought I’d share the Zundapp too. Coming along together nicely. All CNC cut motor mounts. Will be using a 72V 40AH battery with EM150 controller for size and power requirements.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.jpeg
    IMG_2347.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Custom battery from Amorge came in today! 150A continuous and 200A peak and it is a 40AH as well. Not crazy numbers but plenty to propel this beast around and get a decent range. I then fabricated a custom battery box that bolts to the frame just sitting above the top motor mounts. The shell then fits over this with just enough clearance room so nothing is touching. Should be riding it for testing by the weekend!!

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2502.jpeg
    IMG_2502.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
I am pretty impressed with how quickly Amorge has gained customers across the various electric forums and facebook groups. I'd like to see a tear down or a durability test from someone but I have heard great things about their customer service and really fast shipping.

Reactions: MDG
I am pretty impressed with how quickly Amorge has gained customers across the various electric forums and facebook groups. I'd like to see a tear down or a durability test from someone but I have heard great things about their customer service and really fast shipping.
I am very pleased with their service. Allen, the representative I worked with had me two quotes within 24hours of emailing and I had it built and air shipped to me in just over two weeks. Came very well packaged, free charger and extra leads. It has a nice hard shell on it and silicone around the seams. There is a battery breakdown video on YouTube someone did and it checked all marks for being a decent battery with good cells, quality, etc..

Took this beast for a little test run last night and holy hell does it move. Power wheelie monster!

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
Good job,Im Inspired ..I recently pick up an old none working zundapp Bella and thinking of doing this conversion ..what's the sprocket size for the QS motor..

Reactions: MDG
Good job,Im Inspired ..I recently pick up an old none working zundapp Bella and thinking of doing this conversion ..what's the sprocket size for the QS motor..
Thanks! I’m running a 428 sprocket setup. The rear sprocket is also the rear hub drum brake so you can’t change the size of that unfortunately so my final gearing is 14T upfront and the orignal 48T in the rear. Seems to work pretty well! Maybe a 15T would work nicely too.

Thanks! I’m running a 428 sprocket setup. The rear sprocket is also the rear hub drum brake so you can’t change the size of that unfortunately so my final gearing is 14T upfront and the orignal 48T in the rear. Seems to work pretty well! Maybe a 15T would work nicely too.
Thanks for the info....sounds like the 3kw 72v 138 70h is big enough or do you think a 4kw would be better or pointless..

Thanks for the info....sounds like the 3kw 72v 138 70h is big enough or do you think a 4kw would be better or pointless..
I personally think the 70 is plenty. I’m running a 40AH battery with 150A continuous and 200A peak and a Votol em150 controller. I think a em200 would be a good fit too but it’s a bit larger. Honestly the scoot the way it is now is so much fun. I have a 3 speed switch. I keep it on medium mainly. Topping out at 45, high mode is 60+ and low is 25-28 with instant torque!!

Seats back and got the body assembly put back together and installed!

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2612.jpeg
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
Very nice..looks frigging awesome..hopefully get started on mine in a few weeks ..did you fabricate your own engine mounts...body is off and 90% ready for paint...do you think nd72530 fardriver controller would work...or stick with em150..sorry for all the questions..I've only built an ebike before ,but I guess the principle is the same..

Very nice..looks frigging awesome..hopefully get started on mine in a few weeks ..did you fabricate your own engine mounts...body is off and 90% ready for paint...do you think nd72530 fardriver controller would work...or stick with em150..sorry for all the questions..I've only built an ebike before ,but I guess the principle is the same..
I don’t personally have experience with the Fardrivers but I know there are a lot of folks that do. I’ve used the Votols now for 4 builds and feel pretty good about them. Good build quality and all too. The software can take a bit to learn but more and more people are making videos on them and the community here is awesome for them!

Love that thing to...ha..What kind of milage you get with the 40ah...
Man it depends. I love riding it in mode 3 at around 50-55 mph but that just sucks the battery down rather fast. Typically I use mode 2 with a top speed of around 45 and I can get 35-40 miles but again, all variables can change that like hills, stop and to. How much throttle you use etc…

Well, remember that just 5mph more at such speeds greatly increases power requirements, assuming typical unoptimized aerodynamic design.

Man it depends. I love riding it in mode 3 at around 50-55 mph but that just sucks the battery down rather fast. Typically I use mode 2 with a top speed of around 45 and I can get 35-40 miles but again, all variables can change that like hills, stop and to. How much throttle you use etc…
Sounds good...I wouldn't be going that far on it anyway...do you have a CAD file for the motor mounts ..or did you make them yourself..

Sounds good...I wouldn't be going that far on it anyway...do you have a CAD file for the motor mounts ..or did you make them yourself..
I made some templates out of cardboard then uploaded them to Fusion360. Then 3D printed them to confirm fitment and then finally cut them out of 1/8” steel on my plasma CNC machine. I wanted them to curve around the motor and utilize the bottom two mounts in one and then the upper is a separate part. Worked out great

I seem to me struggling to find the front break cable do you know were you got yours..

I just bought two Bella 200's, one I'm going to EV. What a mid mount motor vs. hub motor? Doesn't that cut down you battery pack space? What are you estimating for watt/hrs/mile to determine range and pack sizing. thanks Shawn

I just bought two Bella 200's, one I'm going to EV. What a mid mount motor vs. hub motor? Doesn't that cut down you battery pack space? What are you estimating for watt/hrs/mile to determine range and pack sizing. thanks Shawn
Whoop whoop!! If you go with mid-mounted motor you'll need to run a chain system to the rear wheel. The Bella's have the drum hub brake and sprocket as one unit so you can't change the rear sprocket size and yes, it'll take up space for a larger battery. I did a mid mount and had a custom 72V 40AH battery made. It weighed roughly 35lbs and was quite large.

I did another scooter a while back, a Parilla Greyhound 150 and did a hub motor. For this I had to fabricate a custom swing arm to hold the new hub motor. The hub motors are near silent when in use, the mid motors have a good amount of sound to them plus a little bit of chain noise. I prefer the mid mount personally, it gave it that real scooter/motorcycle feel!

Back