World Domination, I just got my self a 3d Printer!!!

nechaus said:
Yes...

I don't need any of it really.. But i want it and like having it haha...

That so much reminds me of my brother with his carpentry hobby, he has spent thousands on thicknessers buzzers and dovetail machines to make some cabinets with the dovetail joins and I was trying to tell him to just mark it by hand and cut it out with a dovetail saw like I did in my apprentiship, but each to their own as long it's enjoyed

nechaus said:
Some of my friends spend over 50k on home cinema stuff...

id rather have 50k worth of tools...
+1 on the tools. 50k in cinema stuff wont help you do crap. But it sure would be nice to have one 8) .
Not only having 50K in tools but knowing how to use them is key.

dingoEsride said:
nechaus said:
Yes...

I don't need any of it really.. But i want it and like having it haha...

That so much reminds me of my brother with his carpentry hobby, he has spent thousands on thicknessers buzzers and dovetail machines to make some cabinets with the dovetail joins and I was trying to tell him to just mark it by hand and cut it out with a dovetail saw like I did in my apprentiship, but each to their own as long it's enjoyed

sounds like his equipped..

at least he will have the joy of learning to use it all if he has the passion for it

Today I have set my printer to print my Quad Copter, Everything i have printed so far has been on a fast print setting, never tried slow..

For the Quad i have slowed it down so much, to 30% speed, I want each layer to be as good as it can be and the most stable nozzle temp.
I think this is going to give me the most consistent structure strength through out the whole part.

Ill upload it once the whole quad is printed!

Im using the most cheapest basic controller for the quad, $20 hk controller board v2.1.. .
Comes pre flashed for a X copter.
Eventually I want to make a fully functional drone that will follow me on my ebike, I noticed there is a full gps kit on hk for about $1100....
I ideally want something like that, but wont be getting it until im 100% confident and know what im doing, this is really my first time making an RC thing.. lots to go..

Id like to charge the quad copter off my ebike batteries when im out in the field to.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

Check out this 3d printer...

p.s.

Have not finished the quad, had to clean and go over my whole machine...
Going to try again tonight

That printer looks badass. Shame about the price but I imagine they'll rapidly come down from there.
How'd the slower printing go ? Finer, better resolution I'm guessing ?

Yeah it is a better resolution, but hardly seems worth the wait...

was reading reprap.org before
some guy got the best 3dstuffmaker printer, the place where i got mine, he immediately upgraded his, like the way i want to do mine,
better z rod support, new gen 6 dulux board, new nozzle, and heated print bed, his printer prints amazingly now...

So i need to get these upgrades to make this printer have a high print success ratio...

Im giving myself a year for my brain to learn and upgrade this printer, learn as much as i can.
If my brain fails me or i am to lazy to learn what i need to and upgrade this printer, Ill buy one of those replicators when the price comes down and they have abs and a heated printed plate.
Id imagine those printers are alot more ready to go out of the box, way nice quality than my printer, mine is just a pre assembled kit, basic reprap mendel,

nechaus said:
was reading reprap.org before
some guy got the best 3dstuffmaker printer, the place where i got mine, he immediately upgraded his, like the way i want to do mine,
better z rod support, new gen 6 dulux board, new nozzle, and heated print bed, his printer prints amazingly now...
A guy at work got himself a reprap and run a couple of presentations to the eng dept. Being an eng himself he 'improved' a couple of bits.. and blew up a few in the process :lol:
It's a nice time waster, but since the finished product can only be half as strong as the raw material it's use is limited to decorations/mockups only :roll:

Today I spoke with the support team for my printer, i changed some settings and it actually seems to be a whole bunch better...

so im attempting to print the quad copter again,

Yeah your 100% right full throttle,
But it still is amazing the strength for what it is, and the fact you print it yourself, it has limitations but still awesome...

I simply cannot break my 3d printed gopro mount in 1 hand, no way, 2 hands it bends a little with huge force ( i can bench press 130kg and do lots of weights), eventually i can break it but its not easy by any means..
anything thicker is getting super strong, for e.g. my motor mount for my line trimmer is going to be 20 mm thick, that is quite enough for the 2000 watt grass cuter
Its bolted onto the plastic

- a poor print will break like stringy crappy mess, layers lifting up, looks like plastic string that can make you bleed if it pricks you in the finger.
really easy to break

- a good print, solid fusion/welding of the plastic, each layer is bonded really well making it super hard to break...

I am jealous . That technology is absolutely mind blowing. I commend you for being a pioneer. This is the stuff of science fiction we could only read about and imagine. Now it's become reality. Creating and learning is not a waste of time. It's a whole lot better than watching most programs on TV.

Interesting development I just heard. In the "big city" near me, about 40 miles away, the public library got a commercial 3d printer for patrons to "print on." Right now they say it is free. Until it is figured out, then they are going to charge for materials.

Might be an idea to try to get your local library to get one! All this stimulus money should do some good at least.

haha rlhunt2, You may not commend me on being a pioneer after seeing my ratbike,

Perhaps you will commend me on being an Australian redneck haha. I like doing other stuff besides watching TV

rlhunt2 said:
I am jealous . That technology is absolutely mind blowing. I commend you for being a pioneer. This is the stuff of science fiction we could only read about and imagine. Now it's become reality. Creating and learning is not a waste of time. It's a whole lot better than watching most programs on TV.
You should see what our sister company has developed :wink:
main.jpg

God dammit, terminators really ARE just around the corner! :shock:

You know shit is serious when they post a picture of a bloke in a lab coat looking intently :lol:

Bigmoose, that's pretty cool that the library has a 3d printer. I would have thought the local universities or tafes would be a more likely place to find such a thing. I guess libraries do attract generally geeky type people that might be interested in such things. Though I haven't been to one in 10 years since everything is so readily available in the net now.

full-throttle said:
rlhunt2 said:
You should see what our sister company has developed :wink:
main.jpg

ill give them my dna and they can print me a new improved 3rd leg with triple vein upgrades.

bigmoose said:
Interesting development I just heard. In the "big city" near me, about 40 miles away, the public library got a commercial 3d printer for patrons to "print on." Right now they say it is free. Until it is figured out, then they are going to charge for materials.
Oh, man, if they did that here, i'd be right over there with some models. :lol:

Looks like it's not the only library getting one:
http://www.3dprinter.net/fayetteville-free-library-3d-printing-to-public

Well I'm not sure if I'm being poked at for fun but at the risk of being politically incorrect I do find this site educational albeit entertaining. I haven't been on here long enough to decide if people here are geniuses or just nuts.

When I first read about 3 D printing it brought to mind all the gadgets and adapters and projects I have cobbled together over the years. One comes to mind . It was a fishing lure with a vibrating motor triggered by twitching the lure with the rod and letting a magnet slide down the tube that would close the contacts of a reed switch. It looked quite good in the water , but never made it past concept. I just see so much potential in a 3D printer. It has already had some success in the Industrial world.

rlhunt2 said:
Well I'm not sure if I'm being poked at for fun but at the risk of being politically incorrect I do find this site educational albeit entertaining. I haven't been on here long enough to decide if people here are geniuses or just nuts.
It's quite possibly all of the above. :lol: This is a strange place, but it is better than most of the internet forums (and dialup BBs before those) that I have visited over the years. Only three others I've been to are similar, and one is another EV forum, DIYElectricCar, and the other two are both anime forums (one general and one specific to Haibane Renmei).

rlhunt2 said:

When I first read about 3 D printing it brought to mind all the gadgets and adapters and projects I have cobbled together over the years. One comes to mind . It was a fishing lure with a vibrating motor triggered by twitching the lure with the rod and letting a magnet slide down the tube that would close the contacts of a reed switch. It looked quite good in the water , but never made it past concept. I just see so much potential in a 3D printer. It has already had some success in the Industrial world.

I love fishing,

Do you think the fish would get annoyed with the motor tho ? or they would think its food?

Do you think the fish would get annoyed with the motor tho ? or they would think its food?

Fish are attracted to sound waves/vibrations through the water. That's how they find their prey. The vibrations trigger an instinctual reaction. Most fish can't see their prey very far away but they can detect the movement primarily with their lateral line ( a set of nerves along the side parallel to their spine). An example could be seen from bass and bluegill in a pond that were not feeding per say but would react violently to a cricket that started trying to swim . You could see the rings of the movement . As soon as a nearby fish detected these vibrations they went for the cricket. If the cricket were to stop it's undulations the fish stopped in it's tracks and seemed to loose interest most of the time. Another example we witnessed while Ice fishing. A jiggled bait produces far more action than a bait at rest. The lure we were messing around with was designed for larger game fish like Bass and Northern Pike . This all fell by the wayside when my customer whom I worked with on this had his own fruit packing inventions take off and his business soared. He no longer had time for toys, and I was to busy taking care of him.

rlhunt2 said:

Fish are attracted to sound waves/vibrations through the water. That's how they find their prey. The vibrations trigger an instinctual reaction. Most fish can't see their prey very far away but they can detect the movement primarily with their lateral line ( a set of nerves along the side parallel to their spine). An example could be seen from bass and bluegill in a pond that were not feeding per say but would react violently to a cricket that started trying to swim . You could see the rings of the movement . As soon as a nearby fish detected these vibrations they went for the cricket. If the cricket were to stop it's undulations the fish stopped in it's tracks and seemed to loose interest most of the time. Another example we witnessed while Ice fishing. A jiggled bait produces far more action than a bait at rest. The lure we were messing around with was designed for larger game fish like Bass and Northern Pike . This all fell by the wayside when my customer whom I worked with on this had his own fruit packing inventions take off and his business soared. He no longer had time for toys, and I was to busy taking care of him.

argh yes that is bringing back the memory of how it works,
I use to do lots of deep sea fishing as well as enter in local fishing comps in my younger days...

It was rather amazing the results i would get trolling shallow waters using an electric motor vs combustion...

I do miss it! have to go fishing soon.

Back