More Chaos !

Ypedal

Staff member
The Norco spent last year in the garage mostly, but i'm dusting it off and getting her back on the road !

First thing was to open the motor and inspect the inside, i rode this thing in alot of rain and pushed it hard while it ran..

Attachments

• chaos1.JPG
    chaos1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,708
There was a post last week on opening hub motors, some suggested knives, chisels, hammers and other brutal methods.. a 3 Jaw Gear Puller is the tool to get this done easily.

I removed the cover bolts from the side i wanted to remove ( the wire side ) .. and then flipped it over and installed the puller.

Attachments

• chaos2.JPG
    chaos2.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 2,702
That's where i'm at tonight, I picked up some high quality bearings to replace the originals while i'm at it.

For the wires to fit and the bearing to get on there i'm going to have to use my Dremel and grind out some axle material so i can make some room.. that's a tomorrow thing ! :wink:

Nice breakdown synopsys. I'm glad to see that the thing is in such good condition after riding in the rain. ^^^what he said, throw a thermal probe in there while you can :twisted: :twisted: ^^^

*(Been trying to reply to my thread from work but damn firewall giving me problems.. )

Thermometer, hmm.. i have been thinking about it .. i plan to drive this 409 at 100v and 50 amps, i know how it takes 72v 30 amps without any problems so i'm fairly confident it will be fine.. the bike will be mainly used for high-speed commuting to work and light off-road duty so it should not overheat. I already need to ream out the axle in order to fit the 12g phase leads... but the thermometer wires are small gauge.. to be determined ! lol.

Next is the disk brake, I made 2 of the crystalyte/8" disk brake, round file and elbow grease required doohickies.. one is on my chopper, and the other was still on my old 406/409 motor. Went digging in the parts room and found the old beast..

Now, to get the thing off the motor was interesting, being subjected to braking forces it's wedged on tight onto the threads and not too willing to come off.

Piece of angle iron, and a hammer got it done ! :twisted:

Attachments

• chaos12.JPG
    chaos12.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,556
Update time !

Hey GC, thansk for the kind words !.. I have a habit of taking alot of pictures when i work on a project, intentions of making a huge website but i tend to post here on ES and fall behind on my page.. lol.. woops.

The 20" black rims are from Neil at Zero MX, a year or so ago i got word from " Chalo " on yahoo groups that zero was getting rid of their 20" rims to move up to 24's and that they were good rims.. so i ordered a box of 10 or so, the moment i opened the box and held one.. i emailed zero again and got everything they had left so i have like 50 of these rims lol..

Last night i pulled the norco from my dusty garage and parked it in my kitchen/work area. ( yes.. i'm single :lol: ). Replaced the rear freewheel again with a single speed.

Today i bolted the motor to the bike and adjusted the rear disk caliper, then removed the nylon block that supported the 72v 20ah of LiMn i previously had on there.. I'm trying to keep things as light and compact as possible this time around.

I'm going with 24S 5ah Lipo this year, yes, that's 100v 5ah in a clyte 409 and 20" rim !

So next step was to test the motor.... I have one controller left from a batch i sent to an ES member from onatario ( Thanks R.K ! ) for fet mods to 4110's.. I figure 100v x 40 amps in a clyte 4 series is about right for my needs.

Pissing rain today, but went in the garage and stripped my toy ( spring cleaning gimme bike with a rear 407 in 16" rim ) from it's controller.

The hall connector on the controller was a 5 pin Mini-xlr i love so much, but look thru my stash of parts all i could i was unable to find a matching male connector, i eyeballed my collection of new motors with wire cutters in hand .. but in the end i came to my senses and soldered on matching connectors of a different variety from 6pin CA type i had male/female on hand..

So wired the motor to the controller, next was the throttle.. oh man.. connector standards suck when you buy from different sources.. i have a box of throttles with 3 pin connectors but the controller has a 4 pin... :evil: .. damit..... so close to a test but yet so far........

Dig and dig and dig thru my parts bins for a matching connector.. no luck.. i'm about to start cutting to install andersons and BAM.. i find a 4 pin thumb throttle !!!!! woot !

Maaaaaaaan this thing kicks ass !!!! I freakin love it !

Just got back from test ride no.1 ! wires hanging out all over the place, tape , etc.. i looked like a terrorist but people around here are used to my shananigans by now.. :lol:

No buzz, no rattle, no zing, the new bearings took care of all that, smooooth as a baby's ass she is..

thumb throttle still sucks, i thought i might like it after being on half twist for years but nope.. don't like the thumb at all, cut snip and splicing a half twist on there tonight.

I can now soften up the rear shock, with 20+ lbs less on the back she's once again in FS heaven. woot !

5 minutes of fun = 50 celcius motor ! Warm, but well within the limits, i was going to drill it out for air cooling but i prefer keeping it water resistant so it will either fly or fry.

8)

100V 40A! :D in a 409

Have you glued those magnets in with some proper epoxy? cripes its going to run very very hot, I remember all those pedicab guys that were running them, they nearly all had spinning magnets within a couple of weeks, looking forward to see how it copes, I love the lightness of the 4 series compared to the 5.

Knoxie

Back