More Chaos !

Indeed !!.. The clyte 4 series don't have quite the ommph from dead stop that the X5's do but they weigh ALOT less, quite alot less, making pot holes and big hits much more managable, but once she gets going the 409 pulls great in a 20" rim.

No extra glue on the magnets, yet, did not think of that... :oops: .. darnit.. Pedicabs would be taxing this motor much more than this 50 lbs bike however, i'm hoping this is enough to keep the motor running, at least for the year lol....

The thing i love most about crystalyte, is the silence, no noise, the 9C motors are ok but they buzz.. the clyte motors do not, i'm not sure if it's because of the angled windings or what.. but i like it.

Wow! Looks like there is a lot more copper in that motor than a 9C. Are the windings a heavier gauge than a 9C? 24s is some serious power. What is your top speed at WOT?

Those are sturdy rims. I am going to mount some 16" moped tires on mine for a 24s 9C build. The tires are much sturdier than the hookworms I got and they have a DOT rating for 70 mph.

Y,

i've been wondering about the chaos, is my recollection wrong in that you gave the dropouts a bit of a bashin? if so how are you getting around that?
Nice to see the old girl back btw ;)

D

ha..

Darn work PC won't let me post on some threads, but will on others.. just logs me out at random all day long.. grrrrr.. you'd think someone is trying to force me to actually not browse the forum while at the office.. like.. wtf.. ? :lol:

So i took the Chaos to work this morning !! in all it's glory with controller taped to the rear racks and 100v 5ah of lipo in my backpack.. :shock:

The 409 rpm/v is so low that even at 100v the top speed is reasonable and usefull at full throttle i'm only drawing 10 amps or so ! so 1000w at roughly 55 km/h is perfect !

Oh how sweet it is to slam pot holes at full speed and barely feel it !.. on the BMX i'm holding on for deal life but on the Norco i just fly right across lol..

Deec, yes, the dropouts have been reamed out good by an X5 but the 409 being a front wheel motor with threaded covers fits perfectly in the drops so no streching and no compression, big fat washers for a good clamping surface area makes it stay put.. i totally need torque arms but i'm not there yet ( however i'm riding it anyways lol.. ) and i'm not gentle on the throttle either.

Used 2.5ah for the trip to work and back home, that's 50 % DOD on the lipo = Ideal !

More pictures over the weekend.. :p

Wait a minute. That is actually a front motor but with threaded covers for a cassette? So it is narrower?

The motor was special order from Crystalyte, i had the bright idea of ordering front axle motors 8" long and a box full of motor covers with threaded collars. This would have in theory let me swap out a motor cover or 2 and make front, rear, with or without disk.

Problem however is that the axle milled for a front wheel has the wire exiting the axle inside the threaded collar portion if you swap a cover, this means you have to carefully zip tie the wires along a C washer... .... .. bit complicated to explain.. but long story short.. i made this motor into a double collar with single speed and can use an axle nut inside the frame to positino the motor where i want it. :wink: .. so perfect centering on a radial spoke wheel, disk brake lines up and so does the freewheel with a clean chainline.

phew.. time for another beer.

HaHa I gotcha. I have been thinking about the same thing for my 2806 9C front. I haven't checked availability of covers. I am sipping a Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier btw :D

Yeah, I have a thread in Wanted asking about 9C rear covers, to try a 2807 as either a rear or as a mid-drive without drilling into my existing covers to bolt to it.

No bites yet, though Mwkeefer suggested asking Jason at E-Bikekit about covers off scrapped/etc motors. If I was Jason's customer I would, but I don't feel good using his time as a business for something like this; he wouldn't be making any money off it unless the covers were priced kinda high (for my budget, anyway).

aha, gotcha, so whats the best bike you own now Y?????? :twisted:

D

deecanio said:
aha, gotcha, so whats the best bike you own now Y?????? :twisted:

D

Ouf, tough question, it's a trick question.. " Best " at what ? lol..

The RC bike wins on attention getting

A2B is the submarine ( rain bike )

Chopper ease of use, simple and fun anyone can sit on it and try without me worring too much.

Chaos wins for ride comfort and all around reliability, rock solid commuter.

The eZee bike is more the " usual bicycle " with power assist..

the BMX.. aw hell.. i like all the bikes almost equally to be honest.. they all work and work well.

im really thinking i need a second now, damn.
Lots of freinds are wanting to come and test the stinker so it would be a good idea to have two i think, what else you gonna do, pedal? muhahahahahahahah :lol:

D

Using a big wood clamp to compress the packs and square them up, secured the whole thing using nylon filament tape, this stuff is strong and does not strech.

I did not go ape shit with the compression, just light finger tight, tighest i dared go on the top was 220mm once squared up so that's how it went down..

Attachments

• lipo3.JPG
    lipo3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,292
Hot glued the edges only and one small strip down the middle seperator, i figure if/when i have to open up the box to swap a pack i can, without too much fuss.. I've built some packs in the past that were too hard to service because i went crazy with the hot glue, no sense in that.. a dab will do in just the right places.

you can see the textured side in this picture. Only reason i put this side out is that the material has a very slight bow to it and i wanted the bow inward pulling the edges into the ends..

Hot glue bonds ok to ABS, not great, but good, at least good enough to keep things in place while i muscled the tape on there. This pack is all i'm going to bolt on the rear rack, controller goes on the other side. If i ever want to go for an extended ride i will either bring the charger with me or carry a 2nd 5ah pack in a backpack.

Next challenge is finding a way to secure this to the bike in a way that allows quick removal, expect pictures of heat guns and velcro usage in the near future !!

If you mounted the controller on the top tube or down tube you could use a lever type tensioner for your seat tube rack and take the rack with the battery pack. I use velcro for my saddle pack and tension it with an inner tube strap so the velcro remains in shear.

The controller pretty much as to be on the rear rack, i tried every other possible place and there was no way to avoid hitting with the pedals or using excessive amounts of power cables..

I finished a customer battery pack tonight so as of tomorrow, i'm free to work on the Norco without guilt ! :lol:

I plan to form a piece of plastic around the tubes and bending a 90 degree angle to support the pack from underneath, along with a big piece of velcro on the back and strapped with more velcro around the pack itself... should do the job.

Hard to explain, but i have a plan ! :wink:

Yesterday i started out with a scrap piece of plastic, i wanted to try bending a fairly large piece to see how it would work out.. surprisingly it went very well.

The ABS does not bubble like polycarbonate does, it just gets soft and formable..

Attachments

• chaos14.JPG
    chaos14.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,212
Back