10S custom skate ESC: testers wanted!

For those enthusiasts out there soldering your own boards i applaud you....

But im a skateboard rider... not an electronic technician.

If i never have to use a soldering iron again ill be a gappy man.

So i am glad we choose to outsource.

onloop said:

Do you plan on selling the vesc after the beta testing esc's are sold?

addicted2climbing said:
silviasol said:
Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?

IMG_3160.jpg

Hey SilviaSol,

Any chance those 2 are mine?

Marc

Oops, missed this post. Yes two of them are yours.

silviasol said:
onloop said:

Do you plan on selling the vesc after the beta testing esc's are sold?

Maybe....

it depends how well it works.
wether production is scalable.
And wether there is actually demand for this Item in the real world.
As Its not the cheapest ESC for building an eboard. So it needs to be the best. Then you need to convince people to pay a price that is profitable enough to make it viable.
people will want warranty and support... this takes time. Time is money.

It also needs to be PLug and play. So people can use it without installing Linux...

Then it proably needs a nice case or some suitable mounting hardware....

So if i can solve these challenges i might consider selling it....

What about you?

Some photos of the esc's that many of you have ordered, we will be getting some of the esc's next week and will be doing some testing! We will send one to Vedder and he will also be testing one. Then we can ship!!!!

The esc's have 5.5mm bullet connectors soldered directly onto the pcb and 5.5mm bullets on the power wires! We also have a 200mm servo wire connected to the ESC ready for a receiver.

The esc's have the firmware installed and configured for RC receiver controle for 5065 270kv motor.
But you will still need to install linux and go through the steps to us the BLDC tool and update the firmware

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think there are still a few avalible so please let us know if you want 1.

jacobbloy said:
Some photos of the esc's that many of you have ordered, we will be getting some of the esc's next week and will be doing some testing! We will send one to Vedder and he will also be testing one. Then we can ship!!!!

The esc's have 5.5mm bullet connectors soldered directly onto the pcb and 5.5mm bullets on the power wires! We also have a 200mm servo wire connected to the ESC ready for a receiver.

The esc's have the firmware installed and configured for RC receiver controle for 5065 270kv motor.
But you will still need to install linux and go through the steps to us the BLDC tool and update the firmware

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

I think there are still a few avalible so please let us know if you want 1.
Hi mate can you forward me a link to the files for the bldc and my mate and i will look into the android porting. Shouldn't need an esc until i get something workable.
Good work on the esc design and getting closer to a prod run!

Sam

sami said:
Hi mate can you forward me a link to the files for the bldc and my mate and i will look into the android porting. Shouldn't need an esc until i get something workable.
Good work on the esc design and getting closer to a prod run!

Sam

Sam, I suggest that you look at the packetinterface class for BLDC tool:
https://github.com/vedderb/bldc-tool/blob/master/packetinterface.cpp
https://github.com/vedderb/bldc-tool/blob/master/packetinterface.h

Also, this should be useful for android:
https://github.com/mik3y/usb-serial-for-android

VESC shows up as a USB modem when you plug it in, so you can probably just use a usb-host cable and the usb-serial code above. It should be quite straight forward to implement the packetinterface class in java.

It would be really nice if you would help developing and maintaining an android client. I could also do it, but I have so many ongoing projects (lots of updates for vesc among others) so I don't have the time to implement and maintain an android client right now.

torqueboards said:
Hi Ben,

Would you be able to configure and set a motor from within an android app?

Currently there is no android app like that, but writing one is certainly possible. I sounds like Sam and his mate are willing to invest some time on that, so I was giving them some pointers about where to start.

I have three vesc for sale. I include a lifetime warranty, this includes free install of any part IF any do fail(you pay only for the cost of the part, $10-$30). Not saying that any parts will fail this is just for your peace of mind. 15% of the sale will be dontated to vedder. Wiring will be installed when purchased, 4mm bullet for the motor and either deans connector or 5mm bullet connectors for the battery. Message me if you are interested.

I can only ship to the US and canada($20 more).

IMG_3162.jpg

VESC BETA - FIRST BENCH TEST VIDEOS

Production Milestones:

> We have now received a small batch into Australia for testing, we decided to get a small batch assembled & sent to do quality review before proceeding with assembling the entire BETA TESTERS batch, just in case any problems we could then rectify easily..

> All VESC we received in first batch had firmware preloaded at the our Factory, no problems with this method.

> There are no other obvious quality or assembly issues so far, everything has tested perfectly first go.

> We are in the process of testing a Windows version of the BLDC tool so you don't have to install Linux. This tool is required for detecting your motor and getting the VESC runnng. The motor detection process works flawlessly.

> Motor/s spin up on bench, they sound like they are running better?... when compared to my other ESC.. no idea why. THEY JUST SOUND GOOD.

[youtube]h_UEydrXhak[/youtube]
[youtube]u_-DLNsAzw0[/youtube]

vesc-low-res.jpg

HI-RES PHOTO LINK: https://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/n-yp39j5/zad02/product_images/uploaded_images/hi-res-vesc.jpg?t=1427885679

What happened to the Hobo build! lol

Guess, you need an enclosure that easy to open lol

Sounds like a VESC. The VESC sounds a lot different than the normal ESCs which is a good thing. The funny part is when you think it's going to cog but you give it more throttle and bam!

Brilliant ! Hey I didn't expect you to push the "user friendly" boundary up to a windows version of BDLC tool, by the way this quick video test looks promising.

I like this wicked sound ! Looks like you're about to start a Tron engine haha, that's giving me crazy design ideas :twisted: No more RC car sound, this sounds like the real deal.

Wow, congratulations on this great community work on an open source ESC, VESC.

Is there a github repo for the work-in-progress Windows port/version of the BLDC tool?

A suggestion to Ben for the firmware : make it GPL !
Nobody will than be allowed to use/re-use part of it without it beeing also GPL.
This is a good way to promote open source effort.

As soon as I get it working I'll ask vedder to pull the changes into his github. The changes to support Windows are currently very minor since it's written in QT which is inherently cross platform.

agraham said:
As soon as I get it working I'll ask vedder to pull the changes into his github. The changes to support Windows are currently very minor since it's written in QT which is inherently cross platform.
I would be very interested in this. I am receiving 2 VESC's today in the mail and I only have a windows machine. I was going to try and figure out how to run a dual boot, but would prefer windows since its what I know. Any ETA on this?

Marc

addicted2climbing said:
agraham said:
I would be very interested in this. I am receiving 2 VESC's today in the mail and I only have a windows machine. I was going to try and figure out how to run a dual boot, but would prefer windows since its what I know. Any ETA on this?

Marc

I have done a dual boot on a old laptop with windows 7. Both OSes are fine though linux seems faster to me. Consider it a kind of a one way option. I say its "kind of a one way" because unlike the regular procedure of uninstalling programs from your pc/mac, the linux dual boot instalation program creates a section of the hard drive for linux solely and requires a few steps to acually delete that section on the hard drive. You will also need a recovery disk to undo the changes and that bacame a problem if you have Windows Vistas. Could not make one on a Toshiba laptop. There is an older Linux distros, I think it was their 12 version that allows easy uninstallation, but I'm not so sure now.

Back