20Kw motor and 300A ESC (ultralight aircraft propulsion system)

Hi there,
I managed this weekend to get one more flight (30min) out of my battery (21s left), it held 14 to 12kw for 4minutes, then 7kw for almost the rest of the flight. All monitored parameters ware in spec, and about toward the end of flight, all cells reached 3,3v to 3,4v about the same time. Then in about 30 seconds, i could feel the power was fading slowly, a cell (no15 witch was near to no14 that leaked and previously died this year) went almost to 2v, all warnings went on, i overwrite the "safety cutoff" (i knew that the cell is done, no recovery), restarted and then with reduced power turned for a landing (i was in a traffic pattern all the time to be safe and close to the runway), during the last 2 minutes, till on the ground, it wet to 0 volts and stayed 0V even the next day, so completely obliterated. I'l come back with pictures of the yet another dead cell, most probably got corroded like the last one. A note is that at 22s i could get 16Kw max last year, at 21s i got 14kw max this weekend, but from now at 20s, 12kw is not enough for initial climb out, at least not a safe one, at 14kw it felt marginal... I could split the reaming 20s in two 10s banks and use for my ground based projects and squeeze the remaining life out of it.

Will you build a new battery pack for this project? If so, what cells will you use?
the cells that would use are made by LG chem lithium NMC/ NCM712,- pouch rectangular, and will be ider individual or from vw id batt module, a pack with about 100 to 120Ah 50 to 64 kg 22 or 24s in order to have about 80-90 min flight time. I found some sources here in europe that have LG chem 51Ah cells, also found vw id modules NCM712 12S 6,85Kw/h , i would prefer the module since it has the structure that holds securely and tight the cells .
I'm not decided yet if to by new battery, everyone suggest to convert it to gas motor, because i'l have way more flight endurance, that sounds very tempting, but then there are some big technical challenges to overcome, plus it feels wrong to go backwards in technology, i mean electric is the way to go not smoky gas guzzling, mixed feelings here, i like the simplicity and smoothens of the electric but i like the range (and power) of gas, for the same amount of money invested...
Some cool things, is that at the airfield every time i fly or take out the plane, there are a many of people that come around to see it and they think is so cool, it has a reputation around there of being what it is, and every time i announce the flight with "Electric Ultralight" to the tower (we have class C airspace there, LRCL international airport near by) the controller pauses for a second to comprehend the "electric" term, so neat.
So, it is etching me bad to by new battery and continue....

Back