• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

350v 1500amp (peak) DC controller first test at 24v

MPaulHolmes

10 mW
I made a DC controller that uses 3 600v 600amp IGBTs in parallel. The power section is identical to my 3 phase AC controller power section. But instead of plugging in a 3 phase AC board, you plug in the DC board to the IGBT gate and emitter tabs. Michael (in the video) is going to use this DC controller as part of a dyno setup to beta test the AC controller. This test was just at 24v on an old golf cart. It has been tested in a car with the motor amps set to 1550, although I think that's probably not a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwJUlZ6tFM&feature=youtu.be

Impressive! That thing is much bigger than I was expecting it to be. In all the other pictures I've seen, I just didn't realize the cap is that huge!

Ya, it's a huge cap alright, but can handle 500amp ripple current continuous (and 0.5MW power for short periods), and makes for a very low stray inductance on the current loop (< 15nH), so the IGBTs don't see large turn-off spikes. You should see the 1500uF 900v version. That makes this one look tiny.

Back