3shul VESC CL700 controller

I don't know the specific model, but there's a thread with some discussion of them that may be helpful:
It was originally developed as the HESC here on ES, then stuff happened that's discussed in that thread that I don't recall the details of.

I am currently working on a QS273 bomber clone build with a 3shul CL350 on a 30s9p Samsung 50S pack. I also have a CL1000 on order (will see if I have any cooling issues or need more power than the CL350... otherwise, the CL1000 will likely be slated for future "TBD" project).

I have only done some light bench testing, so far, but hope to button up some things and take it out for a test ride this weekend. So my experience is very limited, but I can share what little I can.

Pros:
  • If you like working with VESCs (like I do) and want to go above 72v, your options are limited AFAIK. For 30s, I am only aware of Tronic/3shul being available for purchase... and the Tronic controllers are not waterproof (CL350 is not waterproof, but the other controllers are... maybe the V4 CL350 will be, not sure). The 'official' (trampa) VESCs max out at 100v and have much lower current values available, currently, but I think I've heard of plans to offer higher voltage options in the future.
  • Less 3shul specific, but AlienRides has been helpful with questions and when I had issues with the first controller I was sent, they didn't hassle me w/ RMA (and covered return shipping, etc).
  • I *think* they are all pretty compact controllers for their given power outputs. The CL350 is pretty tiny, especially when comparing to equivalent Sabvoton, etc.
Pro+Con:
  • Again, less 3shul specific, but since it is a VESC, it is going to be less plug and play vs. other more purpose built controllers. You are on the hook for setting up your wiring harness/configuring your inputs, etc... but that also means you have *a lot* more flexibility/control/customization than you might have otherwise (open source). You could write your own custom PAS algorithm, if you were so inclined, etc.
Cons:
  • 3shul documentation exists, but is pretty poor, IMO. It covers the basics, but I've come across many copy/paste mistakes on their site/manual as I started looking at the different controllers and there are a lot of details that are pretty vague or not covered, IMO.
  • Pretty common for controllers in general, but seen some reports they fall below their spec ratings w/r/t real world performance. To what degree, I am not yet certain...
Not sure what timeline you're looking for, but I may have more to add in ~a week ;).
You could also reach out to Kevin G... he's absolutely in a much better position to give insights from his experience. He may be less inclined to cover the cons an article format ;), but probably worthwhile even if it was limited to just the Pros.

Thanks, Amberwolf and ns-esk8. I appreciate your help.

Controllers remain voodoo magic for my old brain, and the VESC open source programming sounds like its the future. The people who have used them seem to be happy, and that is rare for a controller.

Last edited:
Not all VESCs are created equal and YMMV... but I really like them for DIY stuff (going back to Enertion VESC 4.12 days).

+Being able to repurpose an old VESC previously used with a small skateboard motor and replace a fried BBSHD controller is pretty cool, too, IMO (and calibrate it for small or large motors, etc) and they support some pretty advanced features these days (FOC, field weakening, MTPA, HFI/sHFI, etc).

The 3shul controllers are hard to find info on, but whatever I find seems to be positive.

One thing I've come across that is bothering me is that they list their amp rating as "continuous max"...

WTF does that mean!? Is it the continuous rating, or is it the max rating?

This doesn't seem to be the case for the CL700. It's the only one that says just "continuous" of 350A, which makes me think the others are just typos, but then none of the controllers claim a max rating, like for 10 seconds. It would be a nice thing to know, or at least get some idea of.

The biggest con to every VESC, when used in bikes, is lack of direct PAS support and the various ecosystem around such a feature. Your best bet is to still use a CycleAnalyst, feed your signals (throttle, pas, brakes, etc) into the that, and run the CA throttle to the VESC. You'll get a full, graceful biking experience, but with a higher powered controller that way. The further dilemma is that, unless you need a higher powered setup like the 3shul etc can provide, it's still much easier and cleaner to do all that with a Grin *Runner controller, which is where I usually end up back at.

However, if you're doing something like a bomber build where the pedals are, let's be honest, performative, then you can skip all that and use a VESC to great effect.

However, if you're doing something like a bomber build where the pedals are, let's be honest, performative, then you can skip all that and use a VESC to great effect.

I would've used the word "decorative". :p

Not sure what real pedal assist bike you're building with a CL700 besides a cargo bike. Hackey is very active and provides a lot of support for this controllers on the VESC Discord which is a major plus in my book. That and the fact the 3Shul controllers are one of very few VESCs offering higher than 20S voltages is quite attractive.

I think I have the v3 cl350 but can’t find a diagram to tell what pins do what. Mine uses a single 24 pin connector not as it shows here in the guide with two plugs

I have found this partial pic on the web of the 24-pin version but unfortunately it’s cut-off.

Attachments

• 3A36BF2E-1601-453A-8DA2-0F8FB7365FF8.png
    3A36BF2E-1601-453A-8DA2-0F8FB7365FF8.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 5EFB3230-56BA-4293-AD6F-A8003F99655D.png
    5EFB3230-56BA-4293-AD6F-A8003F99655D.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
With the cl700 the manual says to add a diode to the ignition wire (pin 26). How do u do this and what diode?

I read using I think any diode over 200v is good and you want to protect current flowing back to the battery, so cathode (with band) facing esc. This is just the older v3 cl700 that needs this and the later version it’s internal.

Guides for older models are on the 3shul site

Attachments

• 12DA7F30-EDEC-40E3-A13C-4766072FC5FE.png
    12DA7F30-EDEC-40E3-A13C-4766072FC5FE.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back