72v vs 96v same output

odi

1 µW
Newbie question here, please educate me 😊

Batterypacks will go on dirtbike conversion Motor and controller can handle both setups.
Getting 28kw in both packs.

Im trying to learn the basics here.
Whats will be the difference, same power for both?
Same range?
(Same cells will be used for both pack)

72v x pulling 400amps: 28kw
Vs
96v x pulling 300amps: 28kw

Newbie question here, please educate me 😊

Batterypacks will go on dirtbike conversion Motor and controller can handle both setups.
Getting 28kw in both packs.

Im trying to learn the basics here.
Whats will be the difference, same power for both?
Same range?
(Same cells will be used for both pack)

Vs
You can tweak this to assume your numbers, but the general relationship that I see in the Grin simulator is more speed and extension of the torque curve.
Note that the higher speed results in less range/efficiency due to wind drag. At partial throttle, the range is the same.

If you run the higher voltage system and partial throttle, then no difference at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: odi
The 96v will give you more top speed. Most would argue less heat because you’re pulling less amps in comparison to the 72v. Although it depends on the riding style.
Range should be very similar for both. I had the same question when I was first starting my battery build.

Do you want to maim and paralyze yourself going really fast, or going even faster?

Do you want to maim and paralyze yourself going really fast, or going even faster?
I think he is aiming to kill himself, paralyze four nuns and main eight babies. That's the only reasonable interpretation of his question.

I think he is aiming to kill himself, paralyze four nuns and main eight babies. That's the only reasonable interpretation of his question.
Well, he should leave the babies out of it. They're too stupid to have any part in this.

To see how this stuff works, you can setup systems for each variation at the ebikes.ca motor simulator.

It takes a little bit of experimenting to learn it, and you'll need to read the instructions on setting up custom parts for your simulations, but it will directly show you how different values and conditions affect the results.

Vs

basic electronics, a system with lower current is more efficient. less heat at components, cables, and motor coils.
current is equivalent to water pressure in a tube

in terms of performance, both 28kW, you have to test to see results!
in terms of range, more volts with less amps discharge rate, means more time dischagin battery, soo more range (for tha same AH battery ie 96V 50Ah vs 72V 50Ah ) :unsure:

Last edited:
Usually if someone bumps the voltage up, they are going to use the higher top speed gained from the motor's Kv rating, though. Going even a little faster drains a lot more battery fighting wind resistance and whatnot. So even if theoretically the Wh is the same, and the lower amperage is more efficient and causes less energy loss as heat to resistance, the range is still going to get worse.

If the motor is the same, then the higher voltage system will always outperform the lower voltage, since the higher will perform exactly the same, with the same efficiency, as the lower voltage system, at partial throttle, and then still provide additional speed beyond that voltage. The throttle determines what voltage the motor sees, up to the full battery voltage, so you get what you get with the lower voltage, then more.

Back