A 1982 Raleigh 10 speed with TSDZ2 mid-drive

tomjasz said:
The mods here are good fellas. Nep, fech, dog, methods, are all top shelf. So very patient only one PIA in the bunch but a pile of help with just one asshat allegiance. I didn't mean to say this should become a harsh site for moderation. It just irks when someone dogs someone. No reason. Point made, move on. I apologize for implying that moderators didn't give your all Dogman, you helped me from day one. It made my future and sealed my fate. Again. I apologize. Chalo? My favorite poster. Hes helped me imeasurably. Every moderator has forgotten more than my stroke brain will ever learn.

I much agree, tomjasz, so far everyone here on ES has been really great to me, even Norton originally. I think Norton just got on a roll about dissing older hardware and couldn't stop without help - an addiction of sorts. And, I've had many great interactions with Dogman, I only hope he'll reconsider what kinds of behaviors might need a bit of a nudge in the right direction. His first comment was about "not ban-worthy" (as I recall), but banning isn't anything like the only response a moderator can provide... ... Just a nudge from one of the "authorities" can be all it takes to get people to behave better when their mouth (keyboard) has gotten the better of them. For the record, I really did and do appreciate Norton's earlier help, it was only his latching on to "old" as some kind of drum to beat on and took that out on me and my work, inappropriately in my view... Here's a suggestion; when it appears that someone is TRYING to get a negative response out of someone by being rude, it's time to tell them to knock it off. Is that somehow not a good idea?

Best to all.

Ok - scuffle done.

What RTIII needs to know is that his input is valued and we hope he will carry on with his build in public.
Thoughtful wordy threads full of pictures are the meat and potatoes and I know exactly what it feels like when someone targets you (for whatever reason).

As for suspension vs no suspension... My personal view is that any bike capable of going 35mph simply must have suspension to not eventually peel your skin off... but... of course I have many fast bikes which are not suspended.... like my folder (for reason of transporting it). I just give a little extra word of caution before letting people ride them. Pot Holes at 30mph are devastating... a lesson we all eventually learn.

(Reference thread where my Uncle got scalped riding one of my bikes... we are always less worried about members getting hurt than 2nd parties riding ebikes for the first time not understanding the risks and dynamics)

-methods

methods said:
What RTIII needs to know is that his input is valued and we hope he will carry on with his build in public.

More nice things said - gosh, you guys are great! :D

methods said:
Thoughtful wordy threads full of pictures are the meat and potatoes and I know exactly what it feels like when someone targets you (for whatever reason).

8) "Thoughtfully wordy" - I kinda like that description - and full of pictures is a goal of my writing as well. ... I've got a new Marin Stinson Euro frame that should arrive Friday - tomorrow! - and I'm chomping at the bit to get started on it. I'd like to be riding it Monday but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen as I don't have all the pieces yet, though more arrive today and tomorrow, in addition to the frame itself. And I'll be snapping pictures and posting them on my new build thread:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89956&p=1311294#p1311294

methods said:
As for suspension vs no suspension... My personal view is that any bike capable of going 35mph simply must have suspension to not eventually peel your skin off... but... of course I have many fast bikes which are not suspended.... like my folder (for reason of transporting it). I just give a little extra word of caution before letting people ride them. Pot Holes at 30mph are devastating... a lesson we all eventually learn.

Pot Holes at 20 MPH, or even 15 can be devastating if carrying a significant load - see the bent wheel on this thread I suffered a few weeks back!

...The Load:
file.php

The Damage!

file.php

I grew up in New Orleans, pot-hole capital of North America. I've long been considered among the best at pot-hole avoidance, but sometimes it's just not possible, so the trick is mitigation in that circumstance. And certainly suspension details are a form of mitigation. Now I'm in Oakland, which should NOT have such problems - better climate for better roads, and better funded - but for whatever reason, there are parts of the East Bay, like this all industrial area where I live, that have been long ignored; the roads are good enough for most cars and that's about all they care about, apparently. I had a friend take a huge pot-hole in his automobile where the impact was so strong it not only bent his rim, but also tore the battery out from its anchors and flipped it on its side and started a minor fire - and this pot hole was about 60' or so from my front gate!

So, on my new build I've already decided I'm doing a suspension fork, and I found a vendor with several sizes to choose from, I just want the frame "in hand" first, since, even though I have the dimensions the seller gave me, I think I'm going to feel better about making a selection once I have the frame literally "in hand." I also have the suspension fork I can take off the Trail Way step through that I also have on hand - though it may well not fit.

I'm going to "borrow" the handlebars and such from this bike and may TRY the fork on the new Stinson Frame:

file.php

And, I bought 2" tires - hope they fit my rims properly! I got a pair of 700C rims on the way. ... I'm used to "skinny tires" from a road bike, like on the Legran that this thread is all about, and don't have much experience with fatties since my youth ( < 10 YO or so). ... I guess I'm about to refresh my education! The Trail Way has 700C wheels, same as the Stinson, so I could borrow them temporarily while I figure it out, if I have to - I think both frames are 135mm width.

All that said, IDK if my bike will ever be capable of 35 MPH, though I'd like to think so! :lol: The realist in me says that even 30 is probably dream-land. But, if I'll ever get there with the help of a TSDZ2, I'll need very tall gearing soas to not outrun the cadence-limit of 90 P-RPM.

methods said:
(Reference thread where my Uncle got scalped riding one of my bikes... we are always less worried about members getting hurt than 2nd parties riding ebikes for the first time not understanding the risks and dynamics)

Wow, methods, that sounds horrific! Hope he survived OK?!

He was fine... and I like your style of breaking up paragraphs with pictures.
Thats what brings in the readers... keep it up.

-methods

methods said:
EDIT: I cant find the original thread... looks like someone might have sliced up threads and combined them. Possibly OK because IIRC I was hosting the pics and my server went down hard.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57647&hilit=scalped&start=125#p212319
The wayback machine has some of your old site archived but the only image is the same one that's in that post, of him walking away with bandaged head.

RTIII said:
Pot Holes at 20 MPH, or even 15 can be devastating if carrying a significant load - see the bent wheel on this thread I suffered a few weeks back!
Yeah, that's what broke my X5304's axle Sunday night.

(but it didn't damage the rim, spokes, or anything else!)

amberwolf said:
The wayback machine has some of your old site archived...

You are totally awesome for reminding me of the WayBack machine.
Here is the robot from 2001 I was ranting about in another thread.
16F877's... two of them. Wire wrapped... so sweet...

Robot on floor.JPG
Completely autonomous three dimensional maze solving robot
Oddly I find myself again working on a robot which navigates with the same layout....

ok, back on topic.

-methods

nd, I bought 2" tires - hope they fit my rims properly! I got a pair of 700C rims on the way. ... I'm used to "skinny tires" from a road bike, like on the Legran that this thread is all about, and don't have much experience with fatties since my youth ( < 10 YO or so). ... I guess I'm about to refresh my education! The Trail Way has 700C wheels, same as the Stinson, so I could borrow them temporarily while I figure it out, if I have to - I think both frames are 135mm width.

I forgot, what frame are you using? 2" tires are mountain bike sized tires, and are known as 29" tires on 700c wheels. Still, with the right pressure you can get a good ride out of these and not necessarily need suspension (although it does help a lot - even if you are not in New Orleans).

As for what will fit, here is the etro rim tire chart. for 2" tires, anything from 17mm to 27mm internal width would work fine:
asimpleguideontheessentials05.jpg

I've gone way outside these parameters, so view them as guidelines not as absolute rules.

chas58 said:
I forgot, what frame are you using? 2" tires are mountain bike sized tires, and are known as 29" tires on 700c wheels. Still, with the right pressure you can get a good ride out of these and not necessarily need suspension (although it does help a lot - even if you are not in New Orleans).

As for what will fit, here is the etro rim tire chart. for 2" tires, anything from 17mm to 27mm internal width would work fine: [snip] I've gone way outside these parameters, so view them as guidelines not as absolute rules.

Wow, chas58, this is exactly what I needed to see to put my mind at ease! ... I'll measure my actual rim's "c" value and double check, but I seem to recall they're something like 24 / 25 outside, 18 / 20 inside, or thereabouts, so it should be fine... But as I say, I'll double check!

BTW, I asked the frame seller, who had direct access to the frame (and I did not!) if he thought the 2" tire would fit the frame OK, and he said yes, just fine - plenty of clearance he said. The frame is a Marin San Rafael Euro hybrid. Here's an image:

file.php

And here's my build thread for the frame - about to update it soon!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89956&p=1312216#p1312216

Thanks again,
RTIII

...Borrowed the front wheel from this bike for my new step-through, and was delighted (and a little surprised) that it fit with barely the slightest change in brake shoe adjustment?! YAY!

And in so doing, I put it upright, like a Lipizzaner stallion!

Legran_standing_vertically_1_2.jpg

I generally set up all my bikes to be able to do this - sure helps perform maintenance! Oh, and anything requiring turning-through the chain system can be done on the kickstand! :D

Looks like things are progressing.

Glad we did not lose any membership
(or any membership we lost can be rebuilt)

-methods

methods said:
Looks like things are progressing.

Glad we did not lose any membership
(or any membership we lost can be rebuilt)

-methods

Thanks, methods - I gather you've been watching my new Marin brand San Rafael frame-up build thread? That's where all the action is since I injured my left leg...

Healing up, though, might be back on this bike in maybe a month, though now the San Rafael is so far along... I think the San Rafael will be the primary and this one will be the back-up bike! :)

Back