A Very Very Low Cost Electric Bike from Pakistan

It is just the best thing ever made.
Junkyard parts plus genius and perseverance.
How many hours of thought went into this? And to make it? Thousands of hours, I bet!

I like the dressed-up look too. It is amazing in every aspect. Great portrait too!

Kudos!

R.

Naeem,

We like pictures. On your next project, don't wait until it is finished to post. Let us in on the build. Some people just talk about what they plan to do, but you delivered. Great job on the bike. I look froward to your next project.

Bubba

Best. Bike. Ever.

Dress shirt and tie, national pride, franken-gearing and a bright orange fender. I'm at a loss for words. The whole thing is perfect.

Here in America, we tend to take the "Throw money at it" mindset.

I really appreciate the determination to make do with what is available.

Great work. Truely great determination.

Matt

recumpence said:
Here in America, we tend to take the "Throw money at it" mindset.

It's either that or time, and this creation seems to have a lot of time invested! Not only his own(though it's obviously a great amount) but also those he consulted with.

I have so much respect for you and your wonderful bike. This is inspirational.

If you ever need any parts that you can't source in Pakistan, PM me with what you need and your shipping address and it will appear in your mailbox like magic.

You have inspired me to deal with my own challenges with a different perspective. The world needs amazing brains and determination like you've shown.

At a loss for words,
-Luke

Incredible design of rear suspension and trasmission.
Good job and engineering.
I hope you will teach and share your knowloedge to help the electricity evolution in india.
I am trying to do it here in Italy but here we have to much the idea and the mith of gas (s :twisted: it).

Nice EBike.....not shinny but so smart and built with almost nothing, this is a true achivement :D

Like other member said, if you need anything that you can't get, let us know we will find a way to help you build more Ebike in the future!

Dear All
Many Regards
I’m sorry for being absent for so long due to my official engagements. It is a truth that the people who work with dedication are always over worked by their higher ups (Boss).

I’ve done following modifications in my creation (Pics attached):

Motor pulley is replaced by a 10 tooth gear and chain system.

I’ve designed a PWM circuit with 555 IC (I didn’t knew electronics so I had to study a lot to make that) and an array of MOSFET (IRFP 15N) which is very cheap and readily available in the local market. As for being a newbie in electronics I had to do so many experiments and failed, but every failure gave me new strength to start over again and again and again, some time I surprise my self too.

The rare suspension is modified and embedded in between the gears so that it may look good.

There is a new concept I’m working on, which I took from the 3 phase alternator system of a wind turbine on the internet. I’m trying out the same in my front wheel. For this purpose I’ve collected as many hard drives as I can to obtain the most powerful neo magnets (the most powerful magnets I’ve ever known). The thing is still in pipe line. My theory is that while I’m paddling I’ll also be helping the bike to run and produce some of its electrical energy back into the batteries. Secondly there are many times when I hold the brakes slightly which cuts of the power to the motor but the bike goes on smoothly, specially when I’m intending to stop. This will also do the same (put back the inertial energy). Thirdly, there are a lot of downhill areas on my way back home. So it will be a fruitful effort I guess. Your feedback will be highly appreciated in this regard.

I’m also not satisfied from the front suspension of the bike. I’m also intending to improve the same that is on the bike right now, as this is the only suspension available in the poor market here.

My friends I’m so much moved by the offers you make to me for any products that I need to be shipped to me. But I would say that “LET ME FLY ON MY OWN WINGS”, and let me put my self to the test, that what I can do good in the name of Allah (God) for the humanity. May Allah bless you all.

Wish you all the best of luck.
Sincerely Yours
M. Naeem Zahid
PA to Director/Programme Officer (Oslo Project)
Institute of Education & Research
University of Peshawar
e-mail: nickfay2@yahoo.comIMG_2073.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2069.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 5,353
  • IMG_2071.jpg
    IMG_2071.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 5,417
I LOVE your bike! I love your spirit! You made your own controller from scratch, as a first electronics project!!! WOW!!!

I admire that you don't want any help, and you obviously don't seem to need any. However, if you happen to have trouble locating something, anything at all, large or small, like a new front fork perhaps? Just PM me your mailing address, and the head-tube size, and it will appear in your mailbox.

Your work inspires me, and I think it inspires all of us.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

Thread resurrect! :)

I love your bike; Naeem, you're a man after my own heart!

dsc01695.jpg

dsc01696.jpg

Hi Sir,

You got a impressive build !! 100% Respectable. your creation is super Unique.
keep it UP, there will be more to come from you, I am very sure, please add more
here. thank you !

sincerely,
kentlim26
(singapore)

Thanks for the thread bump- I don't know how I missed this last year.

Truly a remarkable bike there, Naeem. How has it held up over the last year?

Hello everyone;

Sorry for my long absence!

It gives me great pleasure to announce that my e-bike has won another science competition, held on 10 – 11 November, 2009, in Archives Library Hall, N.W.F.P. Peshawar (Pakistan) Last time I got 2nd position in the first competition (General Public Science Model Competition) held in June 27 – 28, 2008 and I was counted as a winner and eligible to participate in this competition, which was among the winners of all the divisions of N.W.F.P. Peshawar. This time the competition was very tough due to the fact that all the winners were competing. Getting the 3rd position was completely surprising for me. I got a lot of media coverage e.g. PTV international, Dunia TV and Aaj TV.

It is a fact that God never throws away a person’s hard work, but one has to work hard regardless of the fruits he will get later on. I believe that it is the selflessness that counts and reward able. My source of inspiration is the honey bee. Hard work of this creature is amazing and worthy quoting here.

There were so many modifications I wanted to go about but due to my wife’s illness followed by her Cardiac Surgery put me way behind schedule. Most important of all of those modifications was the Alternator inside the front wheel. Some of the parts were stolen and misplaced so I’m not doing any more of that.

In this model that won me 3rd position; basically I tried to achieve efficiency through modifying my past model:
i) Shafts and bearings were replaced with better quality and better design.
ii) Relays based speed controller was replaced by Pulse Width Modulator 555 IC and MOSFETs IRFP 150N. (design was further improved this time for efficiency)
iii) Speed throttle was modified.
iv) Automatic chain tension controlling mechanism. (high rpm motor some time derailed the chain)
v) 10 Amps Batteries were replaced by 12 Amps.
vi) Total volts 54 instead of 48 this time.
vii) Speed meter, charger and speed controller were beautifully placed/positioned.
viii) Handle bar support.
ix) Front suspension was extended and better shock absorbing mechanism was developed.
x) Aluminium heat sink for motor.
xi) Two way Onboard charging system (fast and slow charging)
xii) Custom designed cycle stand (strong enough to support more than 40 kg e-bike).

Following are the modifications/upgradations in progress:
1) Chains and gears will be replaced by a beautiful and efficient gearing box (not worm gear; ration 1:11) which I’m trying to locate in junkyards. It is also my concern that the same should have a proper lubrication system inside. This will save me a lot of energy which is lost in chains and gears. It will surely increase my distance coverage ability of bike.
2) Strengthen the frame further to make the bike stable at high speeds and off-roads.
3) Gearing mechanism (rare derailer) will be modified and more responsive.
4) Automatic charging integrated circuit, it will cut off charging automatically by constantly monitoring charge of SLAs. (Using Operational Amplifier IC LM 741).

I will try my level best not to cross the barrier of low cost as my project title is “Low Cost Electric Bike”. Due to this very reason I can’t import expensive materials gear boxes, front suspensions etc. to incorporate in this bike to make it a high tech.

Wish me luck to win any position in the grand final which will be held in about 9 to 10 months from now.

Pics will be attached as I get some from the Directorate of Science and Technology N.W.F.P. Peshawar.

Sincerely
M. Naeem Zahid
PA to Director/Programme Officer (Oslo Project)
Institute of Education & Research
University of Peshawar
Cell: 0092-301-8815565
Office: 0092-91-5853900

Cackalacka said:
Thanks for the thread bump- I don't know how I missed this last year.

Truly a remarkable bike there, Naeem. How has it held up over the last year?

Bike is doing simply great and amazing. I still can't believe the durability of the parts i used. its all functioning just fine even after having to travell 30 to 35 km daily. on the wear and tear of the tyres, the rest is just fine.

Back