• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

A Very Very Low Cost Electric Bike from Pakistan

That really looks quite clever, #1! The frame makes it possible to avoid single sided hubs, which is generally a good thing.
otherDoc

It looks like it should work, as long as you have a joint at the steering tie-rod to tire frame that will allow tiliting to the angle required, but will not flop around, thus leaning only when actually steering.

If I were doing it, I'd build a little wooden or plastic model of sticks first, to see if it physically operated the way I wanted, before scaling it up to the actual item. I've had a few ideas for steering and suspension setups taht as soon as I started to set up a physical model of them I realized they couldn't work the way I wanted them to, even though I saw no problem on paper. :(

x88x said:
Wow, that must have been a pain to make in paint, nice work. Someone get this man a CAD program, stat! :mrgreen:
In Naeem's case, I'd advocate using Blender and GIMP (for image-edit/creation). While not CAD, Blender can model, render and animate with IK... suitable for accurate scale work.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14465&p=215895&hilit=blender#p215895
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11154&p=170929&hilit=blender#p170929

Y'all may recall that michaelplogue uses a 3D modelling app for his stellar concepts.

Dear All;

Keeping in view all the experiences riding this recumbent I’ve noticed that keeping the legs up for paddling needs a constant stress on specific muscles to bear the weight of legs alone makes the rider tired quickly. So I gathered the precious opinions and suggestions of all the members, I decided to achieve the following:
1) Lower the paddling position.
2) Keep the height of seat more than the paddles.
3) Change the steering system to less complex and less twitchy (1:1 ratio) and above all, more comfortable.
For details of what I’ve done please see the following pictures.

Please note that on picture No. 3 I give the bicycle a test ride, I found out that it is the most easy steering condition to which I’m quite used to. But in order to make the seating position and steering comfortable I’ve to lean back and extend the steering rod further to the seat. For this I bent a pipe and cut it to match the position of my steering. I also used the old handle bar for being more convenient and comfortable.

After a test ride I felt a little odd about the steering as the position is again changed.

Your precious feedback will be highly appreciated.

Respectfully
Naeem

PS. That’s me in the picture titled “James bond zero zero Cycle” (That’s what my wife calls me for my craze of bike building these days).

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 846
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    290.3 KB · Views: 2,050
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 2,053
  • James Bond Zero Zero Cycle.JPG
    James Bond Zero Zero Cycle.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 2,053
Great work and a kool picture! Way to go #1! Maybe 001 would be a fine number?
otherDoc

amberwolf said:
It looks like it should work, as long as you have a joint at the steering tie-rod to tire frame that will allow tiliting to the angle required, but will not flop around, thus leaning only when actually steering.

If I were doing it, I'd build a little wooden or plastic model of sticks first, to see if it physically operated the way I wanted, before scaling it up to the actual item. I've had a few ideas for steering and suspension setups taht as soon as I started to set up a physical model of them I realized they couldn't work the way I wanted them to, even though I saw no problem on paper. :(

Amber;
There is a simple design for a tilt steering joint that many people use to tie two outboard motors together. This allows you to lift the main engine while still connected to the aux kicker and to steer the kicker with the main steering system. Many guys just use air chucks for quick connects and to provide the swivel in one plane. The swivel in the other plane is provided by a conventional heims joint bolted to the npt end of the air chuck. So you use a 3/8" male pipe air fitting welded horizontally to the steering point at the rear of the wheel. Then the air chuck with the heims fitting is snapped on to the fitting. Shafts from the heims joints go to a relay arm, which is connected to your steering.
I have Zero CAD skill or I would model it for you.

Heheheh, that thing is really turning into a convoluted, strangely beautiful, pile of awesome. :mrgreen: It gives me a smile every time I see it. Good luck with the new steering and pedalling positions.

Dear All;

It rides a lot better than before, comfortable and smooth only that handle bars needs to be lowered a bit which i took care of today early in the morning and distance between seat and paddling position needs to be reduced in order to give a posture for applying full strength of legs.

After having to attend a marriage party in the family I've come back to do the remaining task but there is this power failure which may last for hours. So thats it for this weekend I think.

A big thanks to Mr. fetcher whose help has no doubt enabled me to reach this point of excellence.

Respectfully
Naeem

AS per my earlier post, I just couldn't sleep until I complete my work even at night now when the power is back again So, I took my gear and reduced the distance between the seat and paddles. Amazing, the bike handling is wonderful. This is really wonderful feeling now that all the work is done today.

I will be posting about any update because what I feel that my work may benefit someone out there and I believe that it is sharing of knowledge.

With Warm regards.

Naeem

hello naeem,

thank you brother for inspiring me. i m from India and also doing a e-trike project but was worried about the finances. but seeing u in action has given me a good hope. i did specially like u r cvt project and the way u used that old fan motor.

thanks bro

chinmay said:
hello naeem,

thank you brother for inspiring me. i m from India and also doing a e-trike project but was worried about the finances. but seeing u in action has given me a good hope. i did specially like u r cvt project and the way u used that old fan motor.

thanks bro

It is such a pleasure for me to hear from my neighbouring country India. Almost feels like meeting a long lost brother.

Finance is the biggest constraint for countries like ours but I would call that mis-management of finance in govt. sector. If the same is channelized in well form and people like you and me are funded for their projects, I'm sure that we can take our countries to the limit of success that she has only dreamed of.

Any way, please feel free to bother me any time for any suggestion or help. I would love to help my brother in any possible way I could.

"Saray Jahan say Acha Hindostan Hamara"

Good luck

Naeem

So good that it is driving well. Good to get your feet closer to the pedals. Now it should climb better that you can push your lower back into the seat. Love your double o cycle pic :mrgreen: or :twisted: This calls for a new video=riding=scenery :wink:

i just read all your see all you video of your bike and what i can say .. i was so amaze by your work i am speechless .. and you make my day your imagination is endlesss in the sphere :D :D :D Promise me to never give up of what you do it !! the world need more brilliant man like you to help to save the planet, your my model and you give me so much positive sense of my life !! simply the best story on ES

lifepo4ever said:
i just read all your see all you video of your bike and what i can say .. i was so amaze by your work i am speechless .. and you make my day your imagination is endlesss in the sphere :D :D :D Promise me to never give up of what you do it !! the world need more brilliant man like you to help to save the planet, your my model and you give me so much positive sense of my life !! simply the best story on ES

My Dear Friend;

Thank you very much for your appreciation and the time and pain you have taken to read all my story. It is said in the book of God "Quran" that man was created with mud and clay. I wonder a man like me, made of mud and clay who is so powerless would ever be able to keep the promise you asked for. The power and strength invested in me by the Lord (Allah) I will try to keep this promise i'm hereby making with you. I pray the Lord to help me keep it. This work is so sacred for me, because by the help of this talent I'll try to fulfill the purpose of my existence (to serve the creatures of God "Allah").

Respectfully Yours
Naeem

torker said:
So good that it is driving well. Good to get your feet closer to the pedals. Now it should climb better that you can push your lower back into the seat. Love your double o cycle pic :mrgreen: or :twisted: This calls for a new video=riding=scenery :wink:

Thanks my dear friend;

I'm trying to find a person here who could use my camera to make a video of mine but the place I live in is so backward and literacy rate is so low. I'm among the few well literate people in my area who can speak and understand English. I'm sure soon I'll do the needful.

Wish me luck

With warm regards.
Naeem

Dear All;

At last I found time to do some work on my project. I made a wooden pulley to support the long chain which rubs on metallic portions while hanging down. Later on I will use plastic pipes to cover the entire chain at different portions so that my clothes may not get caught-up in it. I’ve also made a video of how I made this pulley. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1iGX4I-PJA )

The ride is a lot comfortable and by the use of this pulley it feels soft to paddle now. Yesterday I also bought 4 SLAs 12v 12Ah each, for which I was saving the money out of my meager salary for a long time (Rs. 1600 x 4 = 6400 Rupees).

The bicycle part is almost done now, next comes the electronic part. I’ll keep you all posted.

Respectfully
Naeem

Attachments

• IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_1333.JPG
    IMG_1333.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 2,109
Never thought that I'll be using my bike for this purpose: (see the following pic) Water is supplied to our houses from tube-wells through a mesh of pipes. Yesterday our tube-well went out of order so I tied a water container (water cooler) on the place where I'll be putting my batteries in future and brought so much water in successive turns from a tap a bit far from our residential area.

After having to have this large container which was about 12 to 15 kg, my shock absorbing mechanism worked awesome. It became more soft and comfortable. It makes me believe that after putting batteries and other stuff the bike will prove to be a very nice comfortable recumbent which is very easy to ride with aerodynamic shape and safe as for the fact that in head-on-collision situation feet first.

Moreover, I have an idea to share with the members and would need their feedback:
Having to have strong imagination I'm making different drawings (in my imagination) of making a roof top and a windscreen, to be safe in wet and hot weather, as it is a fact that the climate of my city is hottest in summer and coldest in winters, therefore it is something that I’ve been longing to do with my dirt bike but I’ve to sit up-right and that the bike would lose a lot of power due to less aero-dynamic structure but in my recumbent I thought of doing it as I’m leaning back so a fish or bird like shape would fit the structure easily.

Fee free to comment.

Respectfully
Naeem

Attachments

• Water container tied.JPG
    Water container tied.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 2,046
Hello again, A canopy sounds like a good idea. I see a couple problems. It will be hard to make sturdy enough so it does not shake and move around a lot. Also how windy does it get there? It will catch a lot of wind and could pose a hazard . A 3 wheel rickshaw type platform would of course be easier to do this. On the other hand I know "you" can do it. :mrgreen:

Naeem;
Please put your guard and handle back on your grinder. I know it makes it harder to use, but fingers are hard to replace.
A glove is a good idea as it cleans the blade before it rips through your flesh.

Keep up the good work. Very interesting build.

Gordo said:
Naeem;
Please put your guard and handle back on your grinder. I know it makes it harder to use, but fingers are hard to replace.
A glove is a good idea as it cleans the blade before it rips through your flesh.

Keep up the good work. Very interesting build.

Thanks for the advice; before starting my work it was the first thing I did. I had taken all accessories (handle and the guard) out as it was hard to reach certain angles and points while grinding, but I remember one of the sayings of my father who is a religious scholar. He says "All the things we see around us, we think of them as precious. How wrong we all are. Human being is the most precious thing in the entire universe, all the rest is meant for him because God has created man with so much love.

I spent all my day working on my project today I stopped when my back started to hurt now. When I’m working it makes me forget to eat sleep or even to drink a glass of water. No one was home so I skipped lunch and almost everything.

Fixed the batteries, all four of them, at the back of the seat (picture will be shared later). Most of my time was spent on controller, which I mentioned earlier in my post that it is a circuit designed by me. It was time consuming as I couldn’t find a suitable place to fix it. While testing it with the motor I don’t know it started to feel like it is haunted. It started working and then stopped working. With my multi-meter I kept on finding any lose connection or discontinuity but found none. Oh God! It took me hours to make it work. And then again the Power Failure . That gave me a break and to realize that I’m so tired, so thirsty and I had an urgent call of the nature which I was ignoring. Ha ha ha ha. So here I am typing all this. Next will be to fix the motor and check for a test ride.

So tired today bye for now.

Respectfully
Naeem

Naeem;
As your bike build seems to be a bit of a utility vehicle, have you considered a tadpole trike? Are your paths not suitable?

Here is a great build from an expert dumpster diver.

Attachments

• Zot trike2.jpg
    Zot trike2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,963
Back