AFT Mid Drive System

Velcro01

10 mW
G'Day all,
I am starting this thread for people with Cyclone Kits, or thinking of purchasing one. A web site was mentioned in another thread which caused me to come out of lurk mode.
The site in question is http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html.
I did a lot of reading here on this forum before building my first e-bike. I live in a hilly area so I decided on a mid drive kit and Cyclone seemed to fit the bill.
When I purchased my 960W cyclone kit I, like a lot of others on this forum, was not happy with the mount. I came across AFT Tech from a post buried somewhere in this forum. So I purchased the 6mm Aluminium BB Mount and have to say that I am very impressed. Jim was good to deal with.
There is a bunch of other stuff that looks interesting! Complete kits even.
Hope this post helps other Cylclone fans.

Have fun.

Cheers, Martin.

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic8.jpg

thats a really nice looking setup 8) thanks for sharing, please let us know how you get on with it and if you can post up some ride video :p

Not sure how to do it but your thread title might be better as "AFT mid-drive system." I just followed you over from the GNG thread and really like this AFT kit. I have issues with the GNG idler on the chain side. Am interested in how the slide mount (idler eliminator) holds up. Looks like good stuff!

Thanks Cyclebutt. Topic changed.

The mount was not cheap at $200, but I figure it was going to save me on chain problems.
It was very well made, all laser cut.

G'Day Knoxie, I will see if I can convince someone to take a video. Don't hold your breath :)

Cheers, Martin.

Finished my GNG bike (ready to resume testing, that is) yesterday but getting a bit of rain. Will post later at the GNG thread. Meanwhile, I'll be looking at your progress here as well. I'm convinced that mid-drive is the way to go. Simple tire/tube repairs and use of existing rear transmission (internal or derailleur) make this an easy choice. This AFT quality is whats missing in the GNG kit. cheers!

One thing I notice about the AFT bracket is that it only attaches to one side of the BB. The GNG seems like a much more affordable kit, but if the BB on your bike is wider than 68mm, you must file it down to get the GNG bracket on. The AFT bracket will easily attach onto any common width of BB.

The AFT bracket seems very stout, so I am curious how any flex that it has compares to the GNG bracket. The GNG is clamped down on both sides of the BB (so it "should be" more rigid), but it has thinner material (steel, thin but strong). So far, the GNG is reported to need better chain-guides to keep it tracking well enough to not jump the chainring under high-power. Admittedly, it is advertised as a 48V kit, and the problems arise when hammering it with 72V.

I'm just glad to see so many choices being available for mid-drives now...

@Spinmag: I'm with you 100%. But look at those frame clamps and that stabilizer arm coming across from the left side, should be as rigid while a more simple design. Anyhow, I've already got a homemade chain guide design in mind for my GNG (as I am already committed) but I like seeing these other mid-drive CHOICES as well. Go, AFT! cheers!

I got a response from AFT after asking if anyone had worked with any higher voltages. They have a 48v, 1200 continuous, 2400 watt peak unit you can get. They recommend the steel brackets, and an oil lubed gear, with site level and a small reservoir so the oil level doesn't get above the bearings and into the motor. They are working to resolve that issue as well.
I got from the e- mail that they are being quite cautious and there was no hype in the mail. Recommended a Ryen or green time controllers if attempting over volting, cautioned about the gearbox and the change from grease to oil. They thought 55v to be as much as the gearbox could take.
I came away from the e-mail thinking these were good people who don't want to encourage buyers by fluffing their product for the sake of another sale.
In other words, I think I'm sold.
I'd post the e-mail but don' t know how from my iPad.

This thread is hard to find. I have to retrace my steps through another semi-related post to find this. Can this be remedied? I am very interested in this topic and I think others would be too, if they knew it existed.

Katlluvia said:
This thread is hard to find. I have to retrace my steps through another semi-related post to find this. Can this be remedied? I am very interested in this topic and I think others would be too, if they knew it existed.
Maybe AFT should re-name their drive using more than 3 letters? :mrgreen:

Or, someone could make a list of available mid-drives, with links?

Hi Katluvia,
have you tried bookmarking or subscribing the topic?

I agree with Miles. Could we put a link to this or AFT under your "Resources, Repositories, Components" sticky thread Miles?

Cheers, Martin.

Hi All,

I am subscribed, Martin. And the list of available mid-drives is an excellent suggestion, Miles.

I have begun investigating mid-drives because I need a light weight, hill-climber for off road. Your bike interests me because it seems that it might be a good fit for me. Are there 9%+ grades that you might test its abilities from a complete stop without pedaling? Although I hear this is doable from kit makers, I would like some ESers who have lighter weight ebikes to give it a test. Before folks jump on me for being a lazy non-pedaler, there are times that I REQUIRE a no-fail uphill ride for half a mile. I am not aiming for high speed, rather I need a reliable, non-flammable bike at the top of that short haul. I have waited years, lurking here, (mostly in the hub motor section) for a real solution that I could afford and maintain myself. There are many options for others that don't suit me. I am getting closer to believing that my wait might soon be over. I am so excited about the possibilities. Martin, are you the only one having purchased the AFT?

Katlluvia

I couldn't believe the mapping software's elevation info, so I measured it a different way. It measures 20% grade. It is a tough uphill walk and the car is downshifted to second gear.

Hi Katlluvia,
I know my Cyclone 960W will take off from standstill on our driveway which is 18-20% grade. So your 9% should be no problem at these power levels.
Looks like you have quite a choice with the Cyclones. Also, there is another mid drive that looks promising. GNG 450W brushless mid drive. Although it is listed at 450W people are saying it is actually using over 1000W. From what people are saying, seems to go quite well too.
see the link below.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785

Good luck with your build :D

Cheers, Martin.

Ive got the 960w cyclone , ( I started with 650w same motor & found it no more grunt than 500 so they told me of a resistor to increase the wattage but still the controller cuts out on the big hills so I'll eventualy have to get the 36v controller) Ive also got the nuvinci hub but do not know how lobng it will last. we'll see. -----But ive always found that the motor should be reving higher compared to what one is peddling , this i've found even with the other 500w ones I've done 4 that i still hav 1 sold so thsi last now 960w i drive the motor onto a 52teeth peddle with the 48 to be substantialy better . All (near)the cyclone kits I've installed I've upgraded to 48 . ----just keeping in touch ----I've had no trouble on Al frame as on the top I always use a rounded shaped(was flat) AL with self tappers into frame to stop sliding & the long bolts provided as per recomended.--=-

Hi k-harvey,
I have been thinking of changing the ratio's. Thanks for your advice. I may try out the 48 tooth sprocket. Maybe with one of Jims 13 tooth ACS freewheels on the motor.

Cheers, Martin.

Hi, i posted this in another thread, i think i should have posted this information here in the AFT thread:

"Hi Jim and CycleBut you mentioned the AFT kit,

i just had a look at their website and they have new EMAX kits looks wowww , higher efficiency ceramic bearings etc and some other cool mods like oil in the gearbox vs grease.

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html
"

Rough ground & a chain will come off . I set idler of the 3 chainwheel so it flicks out of way & chain exactly so it can betaken off quick.
A guy who i sold kit & he had no idler with adjuster for tention of chain ---he says its hell when chain off.
Also all 500w are 48teeth with packer so chain cannot slip between cogs. I have no trouble with Al frame using flat Al on top of frame with bolts provided.
AFT is cyclone but better ridgdity where what they suply is easy to slip round frame etc. the oil etc sound interesting will study as havnt; stuffed gears yet.

k-harvey said:
Rough ground & a chain will come off . I set idler of the 3 chainwheel so it flicks out of way & chain exactly so it can betaken off quick.
A guy who i sold kit & he had no idler with adjuster for tention of chain ---he says its hell when chain off.
Also all 500w are 48teeth with packer so chain cannot slip between cogs. I have no trouble with Al frame using flat Al on top of frame with bolts provided.
AFT is cyclone but better ridgdity where what they suply is easy to slip round frame etc. the oil etc sound interesting will study as havnt; stuffed gears yet.
You have personal experience with this unit?

I've done 5 Al framed front suspension 500w 3 chainwheel kits & find theres no problem only I do not use their stupid u bolt thing over the top I flatten & shape a 1mm thick AL with holes & a st st long flat with holes on top -It would have to crush the whole pipe to move & to stop twist 2 self tappers ea end.
My biggest alteration has always been the crank.

Hi k harvey

Do you drill holes in the frame to screw self tappers ? wow i wouldn't like doing that to any of my nice bikes !

Not only will it look bad it may also weaken the frame and crack at these holes. i think the frame clamps are the more common and prefered method of most kits.

aft.JPG

Hi there If anyone is still interested in this thread, here is AFTs 48V 1689 watt kit still getting fine tuned to a Salsa 29er "Big Mama"
Some chain derail issues still, but otherwise pretty happy with quality

daju said:

Hi there If anyone is still interested in this thread, here is AFTs 48V 1689 watt kit still getting fine tuned to a Salsa 29er "Big Mama"
Some chain derail issues still, but otherwise pretty happy with quality

hi. any speed quotes you care to mention? (without a throttle)

Back