alternate to turnigy 80-100

i believe Burtie is the only one that sells them.

The sad part is work is litered with 3phase servo driven motors that have built in encoders, these motors are the industry used $1000 and up motors and i dont know how to utilise them.

BTW does anyone know if the 3phase motors we use are DC or AC on the phases?

Red_Liner740 said:
LeaderHobby has the motors back in stock if anyone is interested...

I tried to confirm, they wouldn't give me a straight 100% answer. They say it is possible that it could be 3 months until delivery. Anyone recently gotten a motor from this source? I've been itching to get another one of these motors for a new project!

dumbluck said:
I ordered 4 yesterday hope they show up soon
Awesome! Let us know if you get tracking info.

Received one from leader hobby last week.

There is very loosing windings on it, poorest quality than HobbyCity but this time I have hexa screws on the can ...

Do you know an high temperature exoxy ? Don't want to run it until I have strongly fixed these windings !

boostjuice said:
fizzit said:
Thud said:
Any one interested in a 4" american made out runner with halls optomised for e-bikes easy to operate with sensored controllers?

Yes, definitely if the price can compare to the shipped price of the turnigy's... but that probably isn't a reasonable request :(

Of course its going to be a higher cost, but i think we'd all better get used to price hikes in all PM motors regardless of country of origin, particularly given rising labor wages in China and a global exponential increase in Neo magnet costs . Considering the quality assurance of Thud produced goods, i'd happily pay 3 times as much for a US made equivalant of a chinese produced 80-100 gamble (tight windings with good fill make this worth it alone), but even that increased price margin may not be economical for a small scale producer.

Isn't a 4" outrunner a lot bigger of a motor than an 80-100? Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong, but that seems to me like it would be in the size range of the 12k colossus rather than the 7k colossus and 80-100. If that is true, why should they be anywhere near the price of the 80-100, regardless of current material supply costs? Knowing Thud and his work, they would be made with much better quality, and they should be much stronger motors.
Thud, my one concern with building right now is the fluctuating prices on materials. If you foresee the prices continuing to climb, you probably want to bulk up on materials now. But you don't want to get caught with a bunch of material that you spent a lot of money on, have the prices crash back to normal levels, but in your head you still need to sell the motor at the higher price just to get your money back. I saw that happen to guys who were bulk importing lithium batts a few years ago. The prices came down but they had to still sell their product at the higher price to make their money back. Turns out I could buy it cheaper at non bulk prices than they could sell it for.

But I would be interested in at least one, probably more once I get the hang of these brushless motors. :lol:

I've been trying to get the parts together to build a motor not sure it is even possible to do a small production run. Sure if you want to spend 50k or better on tooling for stamping and buy 50 ton role of steel to get started you could do it. I think there has to be way to modify an existing stator to work for our application.

Its definatly a pure one off proposal to make motors...at least for this hobbyest. Pricing for proto laminations are WAY out of my budget...& min lots of lamination steel is huge...

Unless someone inside the industry steps up to get the proper materials, I am stuck using sub standard materials...experimentation continues, but motors are only going up in prices these days. Looks like we can get the 80-100's form leaders again...on a slow boat to the usa.

Even if the price hits $300.00 these motors are a steal, just consider them as "cores".

Thud said:
Looks like we can get the 80-100's form leaders again...on a slow boat to the usa.

Even if the price hits $300.00 these motors are a steal, just consider them as "cores".
is there any secret to buying from em? I get to step 3 of 3 on the checkout page and it wont let me advance anymore. hitting continue brings me back to the same page.... :?

tracking from fed ex shows delivery scheduled for the 12th I'll post picks when they show.

thats pretty good delivery...heres hoping for the best.

an alternate name for 80-100's is a 7050 which is the size of the stator (approximately)

if you search that, you can get some available results, including bphobbies which is based in the US

if you just want stators, there are several places to look
old copier motors - http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1188 outlines some of the possibilities
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/ind...=stators&sid=y2n7cas33fbj9z70p3o206xzozcsn038
atv stators - search ebay for 'atv stator' or 'quad stator'

or you can build a coreless axial flux motor :wink: and eliminate the need for a heavy and expensive stator, just make sure you use very small magnet wire or litz wire to reduce eddy currents in the copper and spin it to the moon

So what's a lower kv alternative to the 80-100? I'm seeing the cyclone motors and stuff and they must be a really low kv, it there a similar rc motor or something that has the same kv ratings and decent power? would be interested in finding that out, but I cant find anything so far...

bandaro said:
So what's a lower kv alternative to the 80-100? I'm seeing the cyclone motors and stuff and they must be a really low kv, it there a similar rc motor or something that has the same kv ratings and decent power? would be interested in finding that out, but I cant find anything so far...
You can always rewind a 80-100. 8 turns is stock on the 130 kv, 6 on the 180 kv. Both these motors are terminated in delta so 8 or 9 turns terminated in Wye would get you in the range you are probably looking for. 91 kv for 8 turns in wye approx.

E-racer said:
You can always rewind a 80-100. 8 turns is stock on the 130 kv, 6 on the 180 kv. Both these motors are terminated in delta so 8 or 9 turns terminated in Wye would get you in the range you are probably looking for. 91 kv for 8 turns in wye approx.

Thanks for the reply, but doesn't increasing the turn count decrease the rpm? I have never rewound before, but it looks like a nice option to try as I have spare stator that the rotor is busted for. But everything I have found says that increasing the turn count will decrease speed, so shouldn't the 130kv be 6 turn, and 180 8?

Can anyone confirm this or am I reading wikicrap articles and the like?

so shouldn't the 130kv be 6 turn, and 180 8?
sorry, e-racer has it correct.
fewer turns =shorter distance in the winds(less resistance)=higher KV
so an 8 turn motor has a lower KV than a 6 turn.

Dumbluck, glad to hear we can get these motors again...(i have a batch to destroy on hand but you never know when you may need a few moreLOL)

unboxing photo's of leader hobby c80-100 130kv

P1040222.JPG

P1040223.JPG

P1040224.JPG

P1040225.JPG

P1040226.JPG

P1040229.JPG

P1040234.JPG

P1040233.JPG

what's this
P1040235.JPG

Back