Animalector's Ebike Builds

Hahahhaa thats insane! Awesome work on the Lebowski

Thanks, I'm.enjoying scooting in under human power, it's actually quite relaxing. but in summer, maybe not so much.... So farI have scooted in three days in a row, saved $12 in parking fees and counting. so that's the equivalent of one of the 6 FETs in the lebowski.. Hahaha. I've Got a way to go to pay off this scooter

Actually, I put that whopping bank of lead acids into a pack and rode it around the street. It's was pretty fun. Quite quick too I'll have to measure the speed on the gaps. But I would say over 20km/h. Which is pretty daunting with such small wheels.

I was quite enjoying the scooter stock, it doesn't roll anywhere near as well with the electric drag of the hub motor now...

That video was done just with the supplied controller.

I have tested the scooter motor on the lebowski, but I'm running like version 2.4 or something... so no field weakening options. I plan to get another IC soon and populate another board but have other projects on the go too, so it's not at the top of my list. When I tested it on the lebowski, it was notably quieter than this controller, and throttle response seemed superior, this little one is very... On...Off...

Holy crap that team looks awesome. For either battery option i would suggest using whichever has the most surface contact with the lower bar. You don't want a point load on those wee cells.

Question for the frame gurus....

If I chopped this red section out, and had someone weld in some 8mm plate (curved to match profile) would I retain sufficient strength, while allowing space for the BBS02 to be rotated into a more ground-clearance friendly position?

frame chop.png

Cheerio!!

8mm 6mm whatever, the point is if chop the frame (unknown thickness) and weld in plate ('x' mm thick) will it be strong enough... Etc trying to get back ground clearance

Animalector said:
8mm 6mm whatever, the point is if chop the frame (unknown thickness) and weld in plate ('x' mm thick) will it be strong enough... Etc trying to get back ground clearance
the tube's walls are NO WAY 8mm steel. a tube 50x3 is around 3.5kg/m. imagine 50x8. first off all: this is hard to buy, way oversized, and very hard to weld.
so if the frame is steel, i expect it to be 2-3mm thick almost. if you now replace that cut out piece with a 8mm bullet stopping metal sheet and weld it properly, the weld alone should be able to replace the cut out material *ggg*

The question is, will 1 inch of extra clearance from the ground make such a big difference to the type of riding you are doing that it is worth taking the risk of cutting into the frame. Brave move - you do it first then I'll think about it.

2016-09-23_18.26.47.jpgcut the whole pipe off and weld in an arch to go around the motor. It you get a good solid plate and someone that can weld, maybe.

I dint think it needs to be that extreme, half of the tube would be enough to get it rotated most of the way, and then we aren't impacting on shock mounts etc.

Anyway, I'll set the suspension for 8" and ride it to see how much of a problem its going to be. Hopefully this weekend it'll be running

I think you'd pretty much have to redesign the frame if you wanted to notch it......you'd change all the stress areas. If it was a street bike I'd say go for it but once you wrote "jump" I would encourage you NOT to do that. A folding bike on a jump would not be ideal.

Cool project.

Tom

Back