• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Animalector's Ebike Builds

Yeah I'm sure it'll be fine, as I said it has to be better than the one I Have now, since there is ZERO damping. it's actually dangerous to ride.

Anywyas the shock has been shipped, so maybe I'll get it tomorrow and test it on the weekend.. otherwise Monday. I'm keen to do a decent ride on the weekend to really open it up, so far I haven't been able to reach peak speed. (mainly due to a conscious effort not to exceed the posted speed limit and draw attention to myself).. but also because I don't want to break anything. I'd rather have some failure at 20 - 30km/h than 70 - 80km.h. Given that the no-load speed was 79kmh I'm expecting 70 tops. I was doing 65 the other day and it was still pulling..

Anyways we're having some scorchers here at the moment, it's the 4th day over 40 degrees C and tomorrow will apparently be worse. some thunder around at the moment but I don't think we'll get much (if any) rain out of it,

Andy

well I am not so sure it'll be fine any more.. Here's one example of me not doing all my homework and just saying to myself... "she'll be right" :?

ok so.. 270mm is a bit long, 230mm is.. too short.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 260 is probably... maybe... hopefully... no, definitely the sweet spot.

This is a $65 lesson in not jumping into things because of my eagerness.
20140120_201414 (Custom).jpg
20131019_160656 (Small).jpg

I could use one of these....

probably be perfect.. 260mm...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Shock-Extender-Riser-Pit-bike-Thumpstar-dirt-bike-125cc-Atomik-Yamaha-/121040579626?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2e94ac2a&_uhb=1

Andy

Made a bracket. I can always upgrade to a 260mm shock later..

It's nice to have proper working suspension. although, I have to admit, there's only 3 clicks of usable adjustment in the shock. All of the rebound settings are way too fast except for the last 3.. See how it goes after a bit of use.

Anyway, I used a bit of 3mm aluminium box section to raise the shock mount. I feel as though the bracket is very solid, since I I left a lot of material in the box section, and it is mounted to the original shock mounts, plus one of the swing arm bolts, so it's not moving..
20140124_220750 (Custom).jpg
20140124_220733 (Custom).jpg
20140124_220721 (Custom).jpg
Andy

Hey Animal i was going to post the bracket idea but you beet me to it, here is my top mount, going to do the bottom bolt on bracket as well, that way if its not right just fab another.
Btw i like the resettable breaker, keep us posted on the reliability of it.

Attachments

• SAM_0753.JPG
    SAM_0753.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 2,497
My First Commute to work. I had the bike set to 20A max (1440W), so it had roughly the same power as my old E-Bike.

It is interesting to note that it performs pretty much the same as my old e-bike too, except that the power consumption is a bit higher.

This morning for the 15kms in to work, I averaged 37km/h and I managed 19Wh/km, and used 4Ah total.

Pretty happy with how this rides. Though I can't really safely add much pedal assistance beyond 40km/h due to the gear ratios, and going to a larger chain ring may not be practical given the clearance between the Side covers and the chain ring.

Also, I need a tensioner or chain guide. I am concerned about travelling at speed over rough ground that the chain may come off again.

Andy

I'm pretty sure they make kids toys that run at 1500w :)

Teasing aside, you should really try 6 or 7kw at least, you'll love it. It's what your bike and motor are designed for. If you wanted to only run 20A, you could have something far lighter and better geometry that's much better for riding like a normal bike.

I'm running 7kw ish and still pedal as much as possible. It's all about torque, which is the best part of riding an ebike. With my 11T cog on the back I can contribute effectively up to about 40-45kph, after that it's just ghost pedaling.

Cheers

Edit: Forgot to mention, that''s a great shock solution. I'm glad you were able to sort something out without spending more cash on components :)
Animalector said:
My First Commute to work. I had the bike set to 20A max (1440W), so it had roughly the same power as my old E-Bike.

It is interesting to note that it performs pretty much the same as my old e-bike too, except that the power consumption is a bit higher.

This morning for the 15kms in to work, I averaged 37km/h and I managed 19Wh/km, and used 4Ah total.

Pretty happy with how this rides. Though I can't really safely add much pedal assistance beyond 40km/h due to the gear ratios, and going to a larger chain ring may not be practical given the clearance between the Side covers and the chain ring.

Also, I need a tensioner or chain guide. I am concerned about travelling at speed over rough ground that the chain may come off again.

Andy

Haha. yes thanks I know they make kids toys and probably hair dryers at that power output, but it's more about being sensible. Plus I will probably get more sympathy from a police officer if I say:
"I'm running it at 1kw to be safe, but I could run it at 6kw"
rather than:
"yeah I'm running it at 6kw, but I 'could' set it to 1kw to be safe"
Either way they'll probably book me for riding what looks like a motorbike and is over 200W (which is a debate for another place).

Forgot to mention, that''s a great shock solution

Thanks, I was being a tight ass, when I get some available dollars I will probably fork out for a full size shock with rebound and compression adjustment, but for now this is excellent, and ride really well.
Andy

Hrmm, yeah. 10kw or 1kw doesn't make any difference with the law. I don't think I'd be so willing to needlessly incriminate myself. "200W", and then point out the fancy schlumph drive that lets you pedal so fast. Could even claim to have been inspired by Lance and taken up doping in your spare time :D

Animalector said:
Haha. yes thanks I know they make kids toys and probably hair dryers at that power output, but it's more about being sensible. Plus I will probably get more sympathy from a police officer if I say:
"I'm running it at 1kw to be safe, but I could run it at 6kw"
rather than:
"yeah I'm running it at 6kw, but I 'could' set it to 1kw to be safe"
Either way they'll probably book me for riding what looks like a motorbike and is over 200W (which is a debate for another place).

Forgot to mention, that''s a great shock solution

Thanks, I was being a tight ass, when I get some available dollars I will probably fork out for a full size shock with rebound and compression adjustment, but for now this is excellent, and ride really well.
Andy

I couldn't help but notice you don't have a DC-DC 12V supply for running your sound system and strobe lights. That could help distract them from the bike. First person to install a subwoofer and speakers on an ebike has my admiration and respect.

Seriously though, you pretty much make the Greyborg look like a BMX. The seat's up high and it all looks surprisingly "bicycle" (ish). 30k will never get noticed, and I bet 40-50 won't either if you're always pedaling.

Animalector said:
still if i travel at 30km/h and pedal hard, they will have no reason to pull me over except for the look of the bike..

I guess time will tell.

Andy

trevc2 said:
Seriously though, you pretty much make the Greyborg look like a BMX. The seat's up high and it all looks surprisingly "bicycle" (ish). 30k will never get noticed, and I bet 40-50 won't either if you're always pedaling.

I still don't know how he managed to make it so small. My bike is huge. I'm guessing it's mainly a function of the forks, his look a lot shorter than the 175mm and 200mm travel DNM forks I have on mine. My 19" MC rims even look smallish but his look just right.

Ground to top of seat = 1050mm
Ground to top of handlebar = 1050mm
Ground to top of frame (at seat post) = 880mm
Forks Length = 730mm
Forks Axle to top = 700mm
Forks Travel = 165mm
Rear Shock Length (with bracket) = 260mm
Rear Shock travel = 65mm (equivelent rear travel = 240mm)
Wheel base = 1410mm
Effective Wheel diameter = 610mm

anything else?

My todo list for today: figure out a better battery mounting method. Program the controller to accept regen..

QUESTION... Am I correct in assuming the Yellow Black two pin connector is the regen enable on the Zombiess 18FET Infineon Controller

Andy

Animalector said:
Ground to top of seat = 1050mm
Ground to top of handlebar = 1050mm
Ground to top of frame (at seat post) = 880mm
Forks Length = 730mm
Forks Axle to top = 700mm
Forks Travel = 165mm
Rear Shock Length (with bracket) = 260mm
Rear Shock travel = 65mm (equivelent rear travel = 240mm)
Wheel base = 1410mm
Effective Wheel diameter = 610mm

anything else?

My todo list for today: figure out a better battery mounting method. Program the controller to accept regen..

QUESTION... Am I correct in assuming the Yellow Black two pin connector is the regen enable on the Zombiess 18FET Infineon Controller

Andy

Yellow/black is usually the e-brake switch, as in the lever (which should also trigger re-gen, if it's enabled via the jumper cable and in the firmware). Is there a single jumper cable exiting your controller too? Zombiess might have done it differently.

hmm.. one of the small crimps had pushed back in the housing.. I'll fit it back (and lift the little tab so it stays plugged in) and try again. It should work.

Is there a single jumper cable exiting your controller too? Zombiess might have done it differently.

Yes there is, and it was connected already (so enabled) I'll take it for a test run a bit later on to give it a whirl.

Andy

Oh how nice it is to have some rear braking. The regen is quite strong, at speed 40km/hr ish, it'll generate near on 1000W of regen @74V The battery chemistry is C/5 for sustained charge, and C/2 for max charge... so 30AH suggests 15A for regen... @74V is 1110W, so it's on the border. I guess since it is short bursts, it should be ok.

Anyway, still todo... Figure out a solid battery mounting mechanism. might drill and tap some angle aluminium. maybe get some parts printed 3D plastic...

Someone in Melbourne want to do some 3d Printing for a small fee?? please...

Andy

Sure thing Andy. Waddaya need?

Back