Any Experience with Grins Ready to Roll KITs

Are they Truly Plug and Play if you install them and leave them alone OR does it require tweaking (not sure why it would?)

When I spoke to Grin sales who are great BTW (3 weeks later still waiting to hear back from tech support) I was told that if you taxed the controller it could cause an error which would require reconfiguring it which is different than resetting it, and must be done deep in the setting, GRINs sales team did not understand how to do it.

The sales team has to reference their tech support for a lot of how-to questions

If the people that work there have to rely on tech support to understand how to use the product how are general consumers supposed to understand how to use it? Is it' that complicated to configure? i.e. The people that work there need to reference tech support for how to questions ?

What is the IRL user experience, and what challenges if any have you had with a RTR kit?

This question is specific to RTR kits

Last edited:
I installed 2 lower end (motor power wise) kits 2 and 3 years ago. Dead simple on the installation and ongoing operations. I did however slightly tweak the power settings on the front drive kit for an even more relaxed ramp up when accelerating (trying to over compensate and always ensure a totally smooth power delivery even in low traction - icy conditions). The tweak was a simple change in the settings in the Cycle Analyst using the Windows app (and the USB- serial TTL cable). Beyond that I'm using the stock CA settings.

Both of my kits have been bullet proof in terms of reliability over 3 to 5K kms (mostly on urban MUPs and on road regional riding), even in very wet and/or very cold conditions. I've also occasionally pushed the motors into the high temp regime (above 90C) when climbing longer hills. The power roll back to prevent damaging overheating was smooth and effective.

I've also had a couple of questions about the hardware and firmware settings answered by Grin in just a matter of a few days.

Overall while the RTR kit's are indeed costly (particularly the batteries) compared to most of the online suppliers I really think they're worth the extra money in terms of reliability and peace of mind (support, spares, etc.) ... those positive comparisons are based on online comments and those from a few folks I know who've done their own DIY upgrades from other online suppliers.

Are they Truly Plug and Play if you install them and leave them alone OR does it require tweaking (not sure why it would?)

When I spoke to Grin sales who are great BTW (3 weeks later still waiting to hear back from tech support who I emailed Alibaba sellers are better) I was told that if you taxed the controller it could cause an error which would require reconfiguring it which is different than resetting it, and must be done deep in the setting, GRINs sales team did not understand how to do it.

The sales team has to reference their tech support for a lot of how-to questions

If the people that work there have to rely on tech support to understand how to use the product how are general consumers supposed to understand how to use it? If it's so complicated the people that work there need to reference tech support is this truly a usable General consumer product?

What is the IRL user experience, and what challenges if any have you had with a RTR kit?

This question is specific to RTR kits
I installed a GMAC 10T on my old Stumpjumper in 2019. Totally plug and play, never had to adjust anything.
Unfortunately bike was stolen in 2022. If I could find a suitable donor bike, I'd do it all over again.
Not cheap though.

I have used Grin kits on all three of my conversions (see signature).

If you think there is 'One Way' an ebike should behave in all it's possibilities, then they may or may not match what you are thinking of. They provide a configuration that does permit riding from the beginning if you buy the controller and motor together from them (a kit).

They don't turn on all the possible options their equipment can provide - you may or may not want them. That depends on what you want, what bicycle you are using the kit with, what you want to do with the bicycle. Riding on-road is different from off-road, a 90 year old may have different desires than an 18 year old, etc.

"One size does not fit all" is an accurate statement.

Can you put one of their kits on a bike and ride it? Yes, if you buy the motor laced into a rim so they know what size to configure, and you buy the controller so they can mate them up before shipping (and this is "a kit"), you'll get something you can put on a bicycle and expect to ride. But they don't read minds or predict the future, so it's up to you to make any changes you decide you like.

I ask Grin Tech my questions about their equipment, and sales only about availability or orders. I get replies within a few days or a week at most. At first I may not know what to ask so I start with a vague question, get some focus from their answer, and get to the real information based on that. They're busy, it works out.

And their equipment is good.

Overall, I am satisfied. I'm old enough to have had to work out solutions before there was an Internet, and I'm prepared to take time. I work as a computing consultant now, and I appreciate the speed, but I'm prepared for the human lag I still find at times.

I have used Grin kits on all three of my conversions (see signature).

If you think there is 'One Way' an e-bike should behave in all its possibilities, then they may or may not match what you are thinking of. They provide a configuration that does permit riding from the beginning if you buy the controller and motor together from them (a kit).

They don't turn on all the possible options their equipment can provide - you may or may not want them. That depends on what you want, what bicycle you are using the kit with, what you want to do with the bicycle. Riding on-road is different from off-road, a 90 year old may have different desires than an 18 year old, etc.

"One size does not fit all" is an accurate statement.

Can you put one of their kits on a bike and ride it? Yes, if you buy the motor laced into a rim so they know what size to configure, and you buy the controller so they can mate them up before shipping (and this is "a kit"), you'll get something you can put on a bicycle and expect to ride. But they don't read minds or predict the future, so it's up to you to make any changes you decide you like.

I ask Grin Tech my questions about their equipment, and sales only about availability or orders. I get replies within a few days or a week at most. At first I may not know what to ask so I start with a vague question, get some focus from their answer, and get to the real information based on that. They're busy, it works out.

And their equipment is good.

Overall, I am satisfied. I'm old enough to have had to work out solutions before there was an Internet, and I'm prepared to take time. I work as a computing consultant now, and I appreciate the speed, but I'm prepared for the human lag I still find at times.
That was helpful, ah not so much. JK.....

The question was are the RTR kits plug-and-play and ready to roll as advertised?

They market the kit as one that is ready to be put on the bikes and no programming is needed. The question was it that claim that the kits are ready to roll aka 🔌 n ▶️

The quality of the equipment is unquestioned

The documentation is ok, a lot of out-of-date information.

Operations is hit and miss, pre and post-sales, it's clear this is an engineering shop, they have the potential to help micro-mobility grow but demanding that consumers engage with them on their terms is probably turns people away from microbiability. It's more of a greater good, but hey it's their company do with it as you see fit.

Last edited:
I installed a GMAC 10T on my old Stumpjumper in 2019. Totally plug and play, never had to adjust anything.
Unfortunately bike was stolen in 2022. If I could find a suitable donor bike, I'd do it all over again.
Not cheap though.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for 1st hand account, after doing the work did you have to engage with Grin anymore?

I have an RTR kit and it is great, I have used it on three different frames with different fork specs (All-axle front motor, regular QR, 12mm thru, and 15mm boost). I didn't change any settings for a couple years besides enabling throttle cruise control and regen braking, both of which are well explained in their manual and website. Certainly 100% plug and play, but due to riding styles, routes taken, input devices, and rider preferences I would bet everyone would benefit from tweaking to some extent.

I had very good interactions engaging with Grin through email. Have not done much for sales but tech support has been fantastic. I have been trying my hand at my own build this year using a completely different drive set up but using the controller and inputs from my RTR kit. Not only are they helping with their components, they have clearly looked at what I am doing and suggested some other approaches which I may finally have time to try this weekend. See my bike in my post history (which needs updating). It's not instant responses but certainly acceptable and I only have good things to say.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions.

That was helpful, ah not so much. JK.....

The question was are the RTR kits plug-and-play and ready to roll as advertised?

They market the kit as one that is ready to be put on the bikes and no programming is needed. The question was it that claim that the kits are ready to roll aka 🔌 n ▶️

The quality of the equipment is unquestioned

The documentation is ok, a lot of out-of-date information they NEED a technical writer

Operations suck, pre and post-sales, it's clear this is an engineering shop that refuses to grow, it's s shame as they have the potential to help micro-mobility grow but they operate with a bit of hubris, kind of in a defiant manner. Demanding that consumers engage with them on their terms not understanding that it probably turns people away from microbiability. It's more of a greater good as I post to Ego perspective but hey it's their company do with it as you see fit. It's clear they're not using any sort of consumer support platform ie zendesk or the like. Right now chat GPT is too expensive for their use case but there are less expensive Integrations. The website is an absolute mess. Their sales support is horrible, amongst the worst I've ever seen in my 20-plus years in Sales operations Management, I mean they couldn't work to make it worse from a customer's perspective. Every instinct is wrong. I'm assuming they're operating from a space where demand is outstripping supply so they can provide a horrible experience and not be hurt by it. If that's the case if they had a more efficient model they can have lower overhead or repurpose some of that headcount salary towards development either way the company is poorly run from an outside vantage point
Grin's main mission doesn't appear to be to related to sales, although they sell top quality products. I've never seen anything from them related to advertisement. From reading about them, watching their numerous informational YouTube videos, and taking advantage of all of the information and tools on their website, I'd say their main mission is to increase the popularity of EVs. They don't make money from their simulators, but they invest a lot of time and money into developing them, and testing to destruction tons of motors that they don't even sell, just to support the information needs of the community.

A good example is this forum, which wouldn't exist today without Grin taking over hosting it when there were problems, yet although Justin is a member of the site, there's no pushing of Grin products over any others on the forum. They do however support DIY ebikes over factory bikes, and not everyone is cutout for DIY. Their kits are ready to roll for a competent DIYer, but perhaps not for a newbie without DIY experience. However, I've seen a lot of folks on this forum with no experience, successfully install their kits, so they likely have the DIY attitude and confidence.

They have developed an unusual niche. Most people don't want to mess with a real DIY, it only appeals to a small subset of the community. The RTR segment fits in between ready made bikes and full from scratch DIY projects.
Although it seems a bit of overkill to fit a bike with a high end controller like the phase runner and a cycle analyst and then never program it at all.
They have some interesting stuff, they are big on regen braking, to the point of welding geared hub motors to enable regen, and they are offering hubs with torque sensing in the hub.
They are also, for a limited time, selling complete ebikes.
I am going to modify my niece's old electra mixte frame with an SX2 Rear hub RTR , I will let you guys know how it goes.

Grin's main mission doesn't appear to be to related to sales, although they sell top quality products. I've never seen anything from them related to advertisement. From reading about them, watching their numerous informational YouTube videos, and taking advantage of all of the information and tools on their website, I'd say their main mission is to increase the popularity of EVs. They don't make money from their simulators, but they invest a lot of time and money into developing them, and testing to destruction tons of motors that they don't even sell, just to support the information needs of the community.

A good example is this forum, which wouldn't exist today without Grin taking over hosting it when there were problems, yet although Justin is a member of the site, there's no pushing of Grin products over any others on the forum. They do however support DIY ebikes over factory bikes, and not everyone is cutout for DIY. Their kits are ready to roll for a competent DIYer, but perhaps not for a newbie without DIY experience. However, I've seen a lot of folks on this forum with no experience, successfully install their kits, so they likely have the DIY attitude and confidence.

They're not focused on sales? They have three to four dedicated headcount for sales so they're spending money on selling their product, the fact that they're not doing traditional advertising doesn't mean they're not trying to sell. This forum we're on is marketing, it's focused towards people that are going to be interested in their products the fact that they took it over is it's brilliant low-cost marketing, I would argue that they're very effective Grassroots marketers. I've seen them at bicycle trade shows, they're doing product Integrations with manufacturers that they're exclusively selling. I don't think you could be further from the truth they are absolutely a sales organization. They're not developing products for the OEM Market, they are direct to consumer. They've been trying to get the OEM Market on board with the idea of Regen, but in typical engineer fashion they're not listening to the market they're developing products that they like for and other like-minded people. The point that I'm making is if you're going to help make micromobility and ebikes mainstream you need to make products that are easily accessible to the masses, and easy to integrate. Their position that we don't want you if you don't want to fiddle with the product seems more a hubris attitude as opposed to focusing on the core mission of getting more people on bikes.

Just bite the bullet, dive in, and build an ebike and start enjoying riding. If you can't, you may be able to find someone competent in your area to build one for you, and of course factory bikes are an option. A lot more fun than tapping on a keyboard and making excuses for not pulling the trigger.

They have developed an unusual niche. Most people don't want to mess with a real DIY, it only appeals to a small subset of the community. The RTR segment fits in between ready made bikes and full from scratch DIY projects.
Although it seems a bit of overkill to fit a bike with a high end controller like the phase runner and a cycle analyst and then never program it at all.
They have some interesting stuff, they are big on regen braking, to the point of welding geared hub motors to enable regen, and they are offering hubs with torque sensing in the hub.
I am going to modify my niece's old electra mixte frame with an SX2 Rear hub RTR , I will let you guys know how it goes.

I saw that this new bike has a torque sensor crank AND one built into the hub? Also typical Grin the bike in the photo is not what they are selling, very different components!

I converted my old mountain bike (store brand frame, XTR components) with a rigid fork. I built sturdy road wheels around a gmac kit. Really the cycle analyst and controller setup were ready to go electric/electronic wise, but fitting the components to the bike was another story. I had one or two work days, as I recall, to customize and fabricate parts, and I'm quite experienced at doing that sort of thing. I have a rear derailler that hits the spokes on the hub so I have to live without the biggest cog for now. But that's another story. I'm still struggling to get the ca setup program to connect to my mac (so I can use back pedal regen) but I'm pretty sure that's a computer issue. The bike is great, 40 lbs and I can ride over 15 miles on hilly terrain with a small battery - far enough for me at the moment

Back