Aprilia Enjoy

Well done Sam, I have just bought one of the little voltmeters (pretty cheap price).I will follow in your footsteps but wait a little while before getting the lipo's,

Cheers,
Tony.

Did a bit more hacking on the bike - this time on the original front light. Got rid of the front generator light and replaced it with one of the new MR16 replacement 12v 3watt cree led units - four bucks on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3W-12V-W...90272?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item3f09394ea0

Opened up the assy and cut the back out with sidecutters. Pushed (forced) a few inches of the black wire down between the new globe and the inside of the original equipment light's reflector lens. Didnt end up needing the glue. Held in nice.
Soldered on some wires and made up a 3s cell from old mobile phone lipos. I have a good supply of these old nokia 1Ah batteries. Will up the ampere hourage by adding cells in parallel and see if it will fit inside the battery box too. And fit a switch for on/off.

View attachment 2
View attachment 1
DSC_1413.jpg

I used to work for a company that got back broken mobile phones - in the days before recycling lithium batteries. The boss didn't mind me taking a few second hand ones. Wish I'd grabbed more! We sold most of them on in bulk pallet lots.

Your note this morning gave me an idea. After an afternoon of soldering it looks like I just picked up an extra 10Ahr of 8s! Might mount them inside my other case, or into ametal toolbox for safety for starters. Soldering onto tabs gave me a heeby jeeby, but with a lot of sand and concrete floor nearby I was ready just in case. I shipped and stored hundreds of thousands of lithium battery powered phones over four years, never saw a fire. There a plenty of horror stories in the interwebs though.

View attachment 1

DSC_1418.jpg

Samd,
you are posting some very interesting & smart stuff. .. Thank you
Have you read the " open letter to ES members" at the top of the page ?..
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30462
If not . i urge you and all other members to do so, then decide if you wish to keep posting information that may be used by others for their personal profit.
A new forum will be established to cater for us all, i urge you to save your talents for that site.

good luck.
HH

I understand. Same thing happened to finders gold - full of attention nutters now. I'll take your recommendation!

What a shame.What usually happens now? I have never come across this before.I am glad I have saved the info posted on the upgrades.
Thank you to all of you guys for the help.

Cheers,
Tony.

Hi Samd
I am looking at doing the same mod with the two 8s lipos since my nimh battery pack is almost dead and the cops are haselling me about my petrol powered bike.
What charger do you need to buy ?
Regards
stubby

G'day guys, sorry I was a bit brief, but I was in the middle of tucker :) A condensed version of what has happened over the last week or so goes like this:

The person who owned the domain name "Endless-Sphere" sold it to another person whose intention was to monetise the site, by converting the application that serves the web pages you read from it's current form to vBulletin which would enable ads to appear next to your posts.

Most people kicked up about this (some much more vocal than others) and threatened to either delete their posts or have their posts modified to display various messages. Quite a lot of members had messages displayed in the signatures, quite often of a derogatory nature against the new owner.

The new owner was naturally a bit shocked by this as he was led to believe that the takeover would be smooth and be met with little resistance; shocked to such an extent that he was persuaded (or badgered, your choice) to sell the forum to Justin Le (ebikes.ca) at a reputed loss, and the natives' protests turned to praise. Yeah, no ads!

If this hadn't occurred, another forum would have been started and everyone (almost) would have migrated there, but there is now no need. So keep building, modifying, improving ... and posting.

Cheers,
GT :D

stubby said:
Hi Samd
I am looking at doing the same mod with the two 8s lipos since my nimh battery pack is almost dead and the cops are haselling me about my petrol powered bike.
What charger do you need to buy ?
Regards
stubby
Hey stubby, how are ya? Welcome to the forum mate. (BTW, I once had a bluey called stubby.)

Anyway, for balance charging I use this about once a month. The rest of the time, I use a modified Meanwell (or clone) supplied by Hyena (bulk charging)

Cheers,
GT

Gday fellas,
I use the same unit. You need a seperate power source from about 11 to 18 volts. I use a 3 amp 12volt cheap car charger. Took me a while to realise that if I feed the turnigy charger 12v 3 amps (36 watts) I can't feed the batteries more than one amp at 36 volts (36 watts). Kept getting 'low voltage' errors from the Turnigy. Duh.

Since then I have been putting a spare car battery in parallel with the car charger before the turnigy unit. it works like a shock absorber. This allows me to pull a lot more amps out of the car battery for a short while - handy when I duck home for lunch and want a quick top up. The SLA then tops itself up during the rest of the day. Soon I will have a solar panel in line too. Hope to make the car charger redundant.

Here's what I did to charge two parallel lipo packs. The Lipos come with 5.5mm bullet connectors. Buy a handful of male and female connectors either from HK or ebay, and make a Y piece so you can charge both packs in parallel, then disconnect occasionally and balance charge either pack individually. I think GT mentioned he only balances about once per month. I have been running a week and will balanc charge in the next few days just to see what the individual cell readings are.

I also put a 40 amp fuse inline with the Y piece. This saved my butt recently when two of the bullet connectors shorted inside the box as I was swapping cables. Use LOTS of heatshrink - wouldnt have happened if I did.

Thinking of setting up a wordpress area just for my Aprilia hacks, just so I have it all in one place. Would still keep posting it here as well.

You need an expensive battery charger to power a LiPo charger ... but..
Keep your eyes open for these server power supplies on Ebay..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-2850-Power-Supply-700W-Server-PSU-/260819003892?pt=AU_Server_Accessories_Parts&hash=item3cba0629f4
..Cheap ( i got 2 for $20 ) and plenty of amp to feed your chargers. :wink:

I think I've seen people using power supplies from wrecked PC's for high amps.

But you can always use a cheap low amp supply and use a SLA battery as a buffer if you have one lying around ;)

Perhaps thats what I should do with my old nicads from the enjoy. Use them as a charge bank...

Samd your voltmeter battery gauge looks very neat.

Thanks Jateureka - I was surprised how rough I could cut the opening from the old gauge and yet how little was seen once the aprilia clear cover plate was put back on - I didnt need a dremel at all in the. Appreciate the feedback.

Anyone still trying to sort out a charger system for their modded bike may want to consider these mains powered units.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/26-alloy-shell-400w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.html
$40 for a 400W ( 10A for 8s charge) charger is good value ..and they have more powerful units too.
The Key point is that its possible to adjust the charge voltage ( and current) to suit your own specific needs.
Some topics on ES discussing the tech side of these..
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30892&p=448374#p448374

Thanks for all the battery charging advice ,it all seems a bit complicated though

Wouldnt it be easier to just use a charger like the one on this website http://www.value-e-bikes.com.au/BatteriesAndParts.htm.
The 36v 9AH LiFePO4 battery advertised would be a pretty close fit with the old battery pack removed

Regards
Stubby

another one up for sale on ebay AUS in Victoria

I'm not sure that charger has a balancing capability- maybe there is some kind of battery management board inside the battery.

The turnigy batts have a set of plugs that tap inbetween every battery to make sure each cell never gets below terminal charge, or catches fire and cooks your genitals. Depends on how much this last effect is an issue for you I guess. :p

correct Sam, ..
None of those chargers have a balancing capability, they are what is called a "Bulk" charger.
That is fine if your battery has a BMS incorporated and for quick recharging ( if the charger has good power capacity!).. but as you say , with our HK LiPo packs we need to balance them occasionally ( not every charge though)
A balance charger with decent charge rate ( 10A @ 36v) is both expensive and slow. Bulk chargers are much cheaper and faster, so most of us settle for faster bulk charging and only doing a balance every 10 or so recharges. ( I check individual cell voltage before and after charging , but only balance charge if there is any issue)
I am sure we all know that charging lipo is not a "plug and play" game to be taken lightly, so selection of chargers, voltage settings, charge rates, etc must be understood. You should always "monitor" your batteries whilst charging, so a fast charger soon becomes a necessity
That $35 lipo charger from value-e-bikes looks ok but i could not find any details of power capacity or charge rate, so i suspect it is a typical 100W ( 2.5 -3.0 A ) charger, which would take some time to recharge a 10+ Ahr pack..and the cut of voltage needs to be precise for lipo.. 41.2v for 10s ( 33.0v for 8s) ..if you want good life from your pack., so ability to fine adjust the charge voltage is invaluable .

PS:..The cheapest 10s ( 37v) balance charger i am aware of , is the 300W icharger 1010B at $128 without a PSU
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6609__iCharger_1010B_300W_10s_Balance_Charger.html

ATTENTION AUSSIES !!
that Aprilia on Ebay in Melbourne looks like it will go real cheap. No bids at $325, 3 hrs left
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160636022761&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:1123
...and it seems to be in A1 condition.
One of you Vic guys should pick it up ... if only for parts .. the battery alone is worth double that !

I was keeping quiet about it in case I got outbid. I did. :p

Back