Are there any cheap chinese controllers that let you calibrate the throttle range??

I use FSESC on my main two bikes, but I just go an E Go 56V blower and I want to use the battery on my daughters electric go cart. I don't want to buy a $100+ esc for it, but I can't stand when the throttles have so much dead zone, or go full throttle before the end of the stroke. Yes I have modded throttles with variable resistors to get things better, and usually I just 3-D print an end stop with an adjustable screw. Still I would love to be able to calibrate. Even $25 rc controllers have a calibration process.

Thanks for your help

I've used cheap generic controllers before with a GD06 display that had an advanced settings screen accessible via holding down the arrow buttons. There was a setting for max battery amps. Lowering that lowers the max throttle. Similarly there was a soft start on/off setting.

I assume you mean the actual watt output in steps. The KT LCD series (with a standard KT controller) has options on parameter C4 if you select option "4" on C4, the throttle's watt output is tied to the PAS levels 1-5. Obviously it's not PAS but it's tied to what the PAS level is showing on the display.

So for example on a 500W motor, the typical output for both PAS (if you have that) and throttle would be 100, 200, 300, 400, 800 watts. In reality, I don't like the display-linked watt limiter for the throttle. I don't feel like it gives all the watts I need up modest inclines even if it's in the 3rd or 4th level. So I set the C4 parameter to "0" which is wide-open throttle at any level of 1-5 on the display. If it were instead real PAS at the cranks, 300-400 watts would be plenty for slow climbs up modest 2-4% inclines, but not for the throttle.

There are also 3-speed control throttles out there but I have not tried one yet so no opinion either way about them.

Yes I have modded throttles with variable resistors to get things better, and usually I just 3-D print an end stop with an adjustable screw. Still I would love to be able to calibrate.
So you used the two trim pot method and couldn't eliminate both dead zones? I keep a very small dead zone at the bottom to deal with any drifting, but minimize/eliminate the upper dead zone.

E-HP It does work but it is so clumsy compared to a vesc that learns the motor and adc inputs. I think what I want probably doesn't exist. Good and cheap is hardly ever a thing.;)

RichJ8990 I'm not too concerned with limiting power. The cart weighs a lot and if the power comes on quickly that just makes it more fun for her. The motor is pretty understressed so I'm not worried about output watts. It is going to be wide open most the time and once up to speed the amp draw is pretty modest.

Back