Are wheel hubs for one size only ?

Yes, but the rim has to have a larger diameter than the hub :rolleyes:. The number of spoke holes has to match though. If the rim is small, you may need to lace radially.

Can I use wheel hubs for any size rim or are they size dependent?
For an accurate answer, we'll need the specifics of what you are trying to do. What rim do you have that you are looking for hubs for, and what frame dimensions does the hub and rim / wheel have to fit into, and what axle type does the frame support?

Generically, you can use "any" hub / rim combination *that supports the wheel build you need to make*, but there are too many possible gotchas to just say "yes". ;)

Thanks I have the hubs already they are 36 spoke hubs thinking about changing the wheel size on trike from 20” to I am not sure maybe smaller or bigger they are 20” x 2.15 currently. The hubs are new

Thanks I have the hubs already they are 36 spoke hubs thinking about changing the wheel size on trike from 20” to I am not sure maybe smaller or bigger they are 20” x 2.15 currently. The hubs are new
I don't really understand what you are attempting to do. Perhaps you could clarify it, step by step?

26” direct drive wheel up front and two 20” rear wheels was considering changing size on rear
This will change the tilt of the trike front-to-rear, which will change the steering angle of the fork.

Regular non-motor hubs don't know or care what size rim they're laced to. However, the bigger the rim on the same hub, the weaker the wheel (all else equal). And as stated already, changing wheel diameter will affect other things like ground clearance/crank clearance/ride height, head angle, steering trail, etc. It will also change the gear inches/meters development in proportion to the change in diameter.

It is generally true that the larger the wheel, the lower power density the hub motor will also have because what an electric motor really wants to do is spin fast. Hub motors love a small wheel :)

I would take the comments about altering the bike's geometry pretty seriously, it is probably a very good idea to proportionally change the size of your wheels or otherwise adjust for that.

Back