Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

Tks Lurkin for reply, but i think is not the correct Manual.
I have C961 display on BBS02, so the manual i looked for is this one https://metallhase.at/Download/Bafang-BBS-C961-Manual.pdf and on last page there are the error codes : on error 8 they say Hall Sensor Abnormality.

Anyone that can locate this part on the motor and know if possible to sobsitute easily ?

Tks for helps
Gianvi

I would assume it is the hall sensors within the motor itself... sure, if you want to take the motor 'cup' off... There are three of them normally...

how old is your unit? If its recent, I would be contacting the dealer you bought it off. Oh I see, you have another motor. Probably better in reverse - try the other motor before disassembling anything. That will isolate to the motor unit. But yes, its not difficult to remove. After all, I managed it. You can see them round the edge of the ring in this photo ("H1" "H2" "H3"). These sense the position of the motor for the controller to apply current at the right timing, to propel you forwards just as they do with any other such motor.
20150607_165837_zpsyykeiyy5.jpg

Dealers don't generally 'fix' these - they would buy this section of the motor and replace it, as they did with mine for different reasons.

Btw, you are assuming it is the hall that is the issue. I think it would probably state the same code if the wiring for the halls is damaged etc etc, so it may not be the halls at all? Not sure, only pulling it apart/testing will tell..

Super tks for fast reply.
I tried before disassembling the left part, to deconnect and reconnect all the plug that come from controller side, but nothing happened.
I will check abot wires if all ok.

But if not i will try to change the H1/2/3. Do you think the right way is to unscrew the green circular side where the H1/2/3 are placed, unsold the sensors and then reassemble the new one?

I saw oxide/rust inside the carter and parts, could be that damaged the sensors ?
Bafang_Sensor.jpg

Rust = water
Water = short?

Depends if you are in a hurry or not. You said you have a spare motor - you can take this part from the other motor, test. If ok - the work on repairing this one.

Otherwise, it becomes more complex. You will need to work out what is actually wrong with the halls first - then fix that.

Be very, very careful with the phase wires. it is very very easy to cut the insulation with the motor case edge.

If you take off the green board, could be easy to test back to the hall sensor. Inspect all plugs/sockets to ensure no damage. Test halls - Not sure how to do this, consult the internet/google? Should not be too hard, they are a simple device which reacts to magnetic fields. Replace if they are not working. Reassemble.

its key to identify what actually is causing the error, not just taking apart and guessing - otherwise you will do a lot of work and put it back together and it will not work, which will be frustrating for you.

i will do in few hours, i've not the bike with me now.

i never sink the motor, just driven under rain sometimes and crossed small water hole, but never motor into the water.
The motor is not water resistant or IP7 ?

Kind of. If you look at your picture you will see a black outline around the cup - this is a rubber seal which seals this area when it is bolted to the case. Usually water issues are with the bearings in the crank spindle area, not the motor as it is reasonably well sealed.

Check to see if there is any nicks or damage to it - think about this when you are inspecting the rest as water is definitely getting in there. Mine did not have rust in it when I had it apart at ~3,500kms. what distance has yours done? do they salt the roads there? This may cause rust faster.

Make sure you inspect your crank bearings before you reassemble. If its that rusted in there, you may need to regrease and/or replace your crank bearings too.

Shop got a motor back and water got in a BBSHD from a bad gasket that was damaged by user. Damaged the motor. Looking at the picture I see what looks like rust in several places. Including in the motor. Had to be certain from a low resolution picture.

I've seen quite a few error 8 reports, from just a loose connection of the hall sensor wires.

I got yesterday a motor with problem in other parts but seems ok on the Mosfet side.
I will replace ASAP it and let's see what happens

Gianvi said:
I got yesterday a motor with problem in other parts but seems ok on the Mosfet side.
I will replace ASAP it and let's see what happens
That's good to read please come back and update your work? You have helped me to learn something!

ok, work done.
I replaced the part and motor now work perfect.

I resume :
i got error 8, i open the motor and i found rust in left side (opposite to chaiwell).
i replaced all the left part and now no more error 8.

I just purchased a 500W BBS02 and started testing it.

I run across the following problem - speed sensor stopped working.
The red light on the sensor is off and the display (C961) is showing 0,00 km/h.

I noticed it when testing various configurations with programming cable.
Could some settings cause the sensor to stop working?

The motor seems to be ok, both in throttle and PAS mode.

Kris.

Hi Kris,
no, i don't think programming with USB can stop teh sensor.

Only thing check wheel size

The Magnet is well aligned with the sensor?

I have not understand if the motor works and you can use the bike, also with your problem.

No error message on display ?

Gianvi

Gianvi said:
Hi Kris,
no, i don't think programming with USB can stop teh sensor.

Only thing check wheel size

The Magnet is well aligned with the sensor?

I have not understand if the motor works and you can use the bike, also with your problem.

No error message on display ?

Gianvi

I just found the reason...and I feel dummy : )

I had to shorten the chain as it was too loose. That required
moving the wheel a little bit. After that magned and sensor
weren't aligned any more.

Thanks for your attention, I'm glad it's just my silly mistake.

At least now I know that the red light on the sensor turns on
after contact with the magned, not automatically when
I power up the unit.

Kris.

Has anyone had probs with the C961 switches becoming intermittant?
Ive now had to replace 2 out of the 3 , the power switch and the - switch.
Both suffered from water ingress due to poor waterproofing in the switch console.
When they become intermittant the controller appears to be malfunctioning, especially if the power switch is intermittant.
They are fairly easy to replace though.

I have a problem with a little squeeking sound from my BBS02 750W when turning the pedals very slowly (engine off).

Not sure if you can hear it, but on my mobile phone I can hear the audio clearly:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_vuqzpTxw[/youtube]

Can't get the youtube link to work, so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_vuqzpTxw&feature=youtu.be

Any thoughts? First signs of internal wear?

AF7JA said:
My Ba-Fang arrived yesterday.

Before mounting it, should I open it up and apply:
*white lithium grease to the plastic gears, and
*moly grease to the main drive gear;

* or put Mobilgrease 28 on both, as suggested in this article https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/12/23/mobilgrease-28-bbshdbbs02-because-a-good-mid-drive-is-better-seen-and-not-heard/

*or, just install it as it arrived?

My thoughts on this are split, there seems to be a strong consensus that some of the Ba-Fang units were not properly lubricated at the factory. Countering that is the many things are never quite the same after they have been taken apart and put back together.

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg
This thread is about problems/faults and fixes. Not about installing new drives :)
Check another thread, for example: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104

opperpanter said:
This thread is about problems/faults and fixes. Not about installing new drives :)
Check another thread, for example: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50104

If all you had to say was "take your stupid question down the hall" then why did you find it necessary to quote it in its entirety?

I have removed the post that you found so inappropriate. Please remove it from your comment so that no one else is exposed to such an offensive post.

AF7JA said:
content removed, apparently "problems/faults and fixes" is reactive, not proactive.
He's a grump, there's a few. Let it roll. You don't have to be friends.

Back