Basman style cruiser with Mac and A123 20ah "FINISHED"

I needed to draw up some rear drop outs so I could get them laser cut.
I read about a few people here on ES using Delta Cad, so I down loaded the trial version of DC and played around with it for about 3 hours.
I highly recommend it for it's ease of use. I designed a right and left drop out, both with 10mm horizontal axle slots and the left has two 6mm disc brake slots.
I had them cut out in 8mm steel, there will be no need for torque arms on the Mac that will live between them.

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Realy nice made :shock: I would love having that bending tool :D
Looking forward to seeing it finish!!

I've now finished the rear triangle and drop outs and I'm pretty happy with the stance of the bike, see the last photo with the wheels and fork.
Today I'm starting the battery, controller and DC/DC converter mounting setup.

basman32.jpg
basman31.jpg

basman30.jpg
basman33.jpg

Thanks for the kind words gents.
I now have a battery mount within the top part of the frame, the battery is 16s of 20ah A123 pouches.

basman34.jpg
basman35.jpg

This top area around the battery is going to have two side covers molded with carbon fiber in the shape of a fuel tank.
To make these covers I'm building a plug then a mold then finally the covers. The plug shape is going to be formed using central spines with ribs and batons made from Lexan plastic then plaster layered over this. A sort of boat building technique I believe. I've never done anything like this before and just gave it a go after having a five minute chat to a bloke at a fiberglass retailer.
He said to use wood but I have heaps of Lexan plastic laying around so I used it instead. The batons are going to be cut from nice flexible 1mm Lexan.
I'm all ears if anyone has any tips. The guy at the shop is quite helpful and said he would help me through the plastering and molding phase once I have the plug lattice built.
I have started this long process and have nearly finished the spines and rids, see the photos to make it clearer.

basman37.jpg
basman38.jpg

basman39.jpg
basman40.jpg

seet build!
subscribed direcly.
i also made my own frame and want to let it powdercoated to.
but i can't get the right bleu collor but when i saw you blue lower leggs i want the same color :roll:

so can you give my the name of your bleu color? or even better the number?

greetings louis

louis raaijmakers said:

No problem Louis, I will have to drop in to the powder coaters and ask, I'll try to get there next week.

I hope these battery covers turn out well, it's loads of work.
I cut thin strips of 1mm Lexan and screwed these to the ribs, with 320 screws.

basman42.jpg
basman41.jpg

Then I taped most of these strips as they were a little floppy in the mid section.

basman43.jpg
basman44.jpg

Then it was time for plaster.

basman45.jpg

Next up is a clay to smooth it out.

basman46.jpg

louis raaijmakers said:

Louis I spoke to my powder coater today and he doesn't have a number for that blue. He said it's called candy blue. He first puts a metalic silver coat on then the candy blue on top. The sparkly silver looks great under the blue, you really need to see it in person and in sun light.
Cheers,
Matt.

I've had a bit of inspiration to finish this bike since my Giant NRS ebike got stolen last Tuesday, http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70486
I got the 12 fet controller and BMS mounted today.

IMG_13281.jpg
IMG_13291.jpg

Still working on the plugs for the molds, one is basically done, and one needs bog and loads of sanding.

IMG_13301.jpg

Time for a bit of an update.
I'm still working on the tank covers but have done a few other small jobs on the bike.
I found a bling kickstand on ebay that was the perfect length, only 180mm which suits the low rear chain stays.
The blue anodising was a good match for this bike but it was bejeweled with six "diamonds" that had to go,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-Alloy-50-150cc-Universal-Motorcycle-Kickstand-Foot-Side-Stand-Support-/171733350264?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27fc1af778

IMG_1405.jpg
IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

DC DC converter mounted.

IMG_1404.jpg

Rear light mounted

IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

A bit of a mock up shot

IMG_1402.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg

I've decided to have music without using headphones so I purchased a bluetooth speaker and incorporated together with the cycle analyst.

IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg

Slick looking build Matt, and built like a tank!
Now you need a V twin soundracer ev module to play through those speakers :p

I like the stand too. I might have to try and make one fit my bike. I can't imagine why you didnt want to keep the diamonds :lol:

I finally finished the side cover molds and the actual carbon fiber covers.
The covers have been trial fitted to the frame and all the wiring has been done.
The frame went to the powder coaters today, so final assembly is not too far away.

Molds, waxed and coated with release agent and gel coat.

IMG_2032.jpg

Finished cover. Not perfect, a few small bubbles between the gel coat and CF, but I'm happy enough.

IMG_2053.jpg

I got the frame back from the powder coaters, very happy!

IMG_2123.jpg
IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

Red switch for the tail light, greens for DC/DC converter and controller on off.

IMG_2146.jpg

The brown Brooks seat has gone as it doesn't suit the bike, the black seat is getting replace with the same type with fresh white piping around the back and non rusty springs.

IMG_2133.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg
IMG_2147.jpg

Some random photos, the first shows how I use DIY plumbing hose to cover the motor wiring loom.

IMG_2144.jpg
IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_21501.jpg
IMG_2149.jpg

The bike rides really well, loads of pickup, great cornering and unbelievable brakes.

MAAAAAATE!!!!!!

Ive been waiting to see this bike in all its glory! well worth the wait.
Stunning colour choice and nice components! :mrgreen:

Love your build!!! Very very nice. Great work!

a wonderful piece of metal art! i knew the day would come that this masterpiece is finished :)
i know you want to listen to music while riding. but for the good look i would remove the radio. it i looks as if it wouldn't belong there. and the phone holder ... nono ;) put it in your pocket, add some earphones and you can have both music and and clean look!

8) Very Cool.

izeman said:
add some earphones
I love a clean look, but I love to hear what's going on around me more. I bet that's what he's going for. As always, personal preference. Besides, this way there can be music thumping as the crowd gathers around the parked bike to stare, gawk, and drool. :lol:

Back