Best place to buy phase and hall wires?

Anyone know if there is a vendor/brand who sells pre-grouped and shrunk phase and hall sensor wires or that are just optimal for hub motor?

If not can anyone recommend best online or brick and mortor store to buy wires?

Looking for 12awg 3 conductor for phase and 32awg 5 conductor for hall and ive found plenty of places, easiest being the hardware store. Just wondering if there are any places and brands that work best for Hub motors.

I know of no one who would sell pre packaged wire that way, since every motor is different, and person would likely need different lengths.

Generally you'll want high strand count wire in either a silicon or Teflon coating. The low strand count, PVC shielded wire sold in most hardware stores and automotive shops is usable, but far from ideal.

Without knowing what part of the planet you're on, it's hard to recommend a specific place. Hobbyking sells high strand wire, and ships world wide.

Hobby King wire with silicone insulation is wonderful, I use it often, but...if you are running motor phase wires through a hollow axle, the insulation is way too thick. For motor phase wires I recommend the thin and tough teflon insulation.

This brings up a good question, if I was to buy teflon wire in bulk, and then sell it by the foot...which wires to stock?

12ga seems to be popular, plus 10ga, both for the phase wires. I bought some teflon 28ga and it just seems soon thin on copper. I then bought some 24ga for temp sensors and halls. Is 32ga/28ga solidly capable? I know they are only 5V and low-amp...I would stock whatever customers would buy, so tell me!

Any opinion on automotive GXL wire? So far this looks like the best online wire deal I have found. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-FEET-AUTOMOTIVE-WIRE-12-GAUGE-GXL-WIRE-TEN-COLOR-CHOICES-U-PIC-FREE-SHIPPING-/261971111229?hash=item3cfeb1ed3d

BMSBattery and Greenbikekit sell these cables with a multipin connector. The wire is teflon coated and looks quite thin, but the phase wires are OK up to 30 amps.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-parts/439-a-pair-of-9pin-waterproof-male-female-connector-cable-for-motor-parts.html?search_query=motor+cable&results=2

ultimatenic said:
I'm in Southern California. Where's the best place to get Teflon wrapped wire? It's for phase wires going through the axel.

When I replaced 9C motor phase wires (hollow axle) I used 14ga stranded Teflon insulated wire from Home Depot. They even had enough colors to still make color coding sense if that matters to you?

Keep in mind, I do add connectors (4mm Hobby Bullets) just outside the axle and then goto 12g power tool cable for the remainder run to controller. I like to be able to completely remove motor wheel without undressing the entire motor cable run from the frame.

Also, 12g power tool cable is very flexible while very durable and can be cinched down tightly to the frame using tie wraps.

Teflon insulated wire should never, ever be cinched down tightly using tie wraps, etc. Teflon insulation displays a cold flow property and the insulation will likely distort and possibly thin-out over time when a constant pressure is applied. Such as a cinched wire tie-wrap.

As far as the Hall sensor wires, I scavenge scraps leftover from OEM axle wire I’ve accumulated from phase wire upgrade.

d8veh said:
BMSBattery and Greenbikekit sell these cables with a multipin connector. The wire is teflon coated and looks quite thin, but the phase wires are OK up to 30 amps.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-parts/439-a-pair-of-9pin-waterproof-male-female-connector-cable-for-motor-parts.html?search_query=motor+cable&results=2

These cables look like the easiest approach. How have you verified that the cables can handle 30amps? I've emailed both vendors and they are a bit dubious on the specs.

ultimatenic said:
d8veh said:

These cables look like the easiest approach. How have you verified that the cables can handle 30amps? I've emailed both vendors and they are a bit dubious on the specs.

That's exactly the same cable that's fitted to Bafang 500w BPM and CST motors. Many of us have run both with 30 amp controllers. On one of them, on a very steep climb (30%+), the insulation on the three phase wires coming out of the controller, which were much thicker, melted, but the thinner teflon coated wires from the bullets down that cable were completely OK.

On our geared 500w hub-motors, we rarely get to run continuously at 30A, so I say OK up to 30 amps. I would have high confidence at 25A continuous.

Back