Bike crash: A car cut me off and over the bars I went.

e-beach

10 MW
Any Los Angeles area beach I am at. Or Santa Monic
So I flew over my handlebars tonight. Both my wrists are stiff and sore I have a welt on the top of my left hand and middle knuckle. My left knee is slightly abraded as is my right palm....But I didn't end up under the bumper of the car that turned left in front of me. I had full range of motion and full strength in both hands, but the pain and swelling is setting in. I am home now, and I going to drink some beers tonight. :evil:

Some of you know that I haven't been working much since I joined this board, but recently I got some temp work for the political silly season because, “my side is better then your side...blah blah blah,” you know the story. (Actually I am working for a good cause that is not about the presidency.)

But, the work keeps me until after sunset. So with my limited budget, I bought not one, but two super-bright 7 led flashlights and strapped them to my handlebars. I wanted to make sure the cars could see me coming. I have been ridding as many of the side streets I can in my 10+ mile each-way commute through the heart of my gritty city. But as fate would have it, that is where this car cut me off......on a side street.

I was feeling a bit tired when I left work at 8:30 pm so I was cruising a bit slower then usual, probably about 13mph and maybe this confused the driver, a somewhat fast somewhat slow bike. I had full right of way and the guy should have waited for me to pass, but, as I was approaching the end of 5th ave he started turning left in front of me and didn't stop. I slowed down abruptly until I realized that he wasn't going to stop. I clinched both of my break levers hard and over the bars I went!

I felt the back tire going over the top and in the dim of the street lights I saw the ground coming. I thrust my hands forward to keep my head from smacking the street. I ended up in a heap with my bike in the water from the gutters, but, I wasn't under his bumper. :shock:

So out jumps the driver and he try's to pick me up, pick up my bike, pick up my now shattered headlights that were shattered under the weight of my bike.

He didn't speak English.

As Los Angeles is, a very big city, it has lots of immigrants from all parts of the world, so it is not unusual for a driver around here not to speak English, it's just madding when they cause an accident and one can't communicate with them. As luck would have it, a bi-lingual Korean woman was walking past. The driver walked up to her and asked her to translate. He told her his story and I told her mine, and in some strange way she became some hard-nosed arbitrator between us. The Korean driver argued his case and I mine.

Now I am not a vindictive man. And the driver seemed truly sorry. Call me what you will but all I wanted was $20.00 to replace the broken lights on my bike. He kept offering me $10.00. I had not even ridden my bike to see if it was still working, I probably wasn't thinking right at the moment. Finally, after about 10 minutes of going back and forth, I had enough. I told the woman that we need to call the police and let them sort it out. That changed the drivers mind.

I got my $20 from him. I rode my bike home. With the exception of a somewhat deformed right break lever, my bike rode fine. I will give it a full check-up in the morning. On the other hand,I am hurting. My wrists are now very stiff and the welt on my left hand and knuckle has swollen large. I will give my self a full check-up in the morning as well.

But, I am not under his front bumper. :?

So how was your day today? :(

I am not a vindictive or i am a person that wants something for nothing but there is no way i would have let that slide and not called the police and got a report on file for it.

What if you get up in the morning and find you have a broken wrist or something worst, Who is going to pay for your lose of work and medical bills. ????

Milton

I feel your pain mate, maybe a pair of those cree lights up front even for daytime rideing, super bright and cheap, I would have to agree to letting the cops know if you got his plate number, the next couple of days will be bad for you so take it easy

Shit-a-brick
Glad yer still with us mate
Get some anti-inflammatories into you (assuming you are not allergic to em) I find Ibuporfen is best...

N easy on the alcohol, nothing worse than a hangover on top of the next-day-after-pavement-kiss

Joe

First of all, glad you were not severely hurt. Sounds like you were near Wilshire area (k-town) by the local inhabitants, which can be a dangerous place for bikers.

Good thing you have some strong brakes, because that could have been worse.

Unfortunately for you with a front motor, it is easier to go over the bars under hard braking since you don't have the rear motor to even out the leverage. The rotating mass of the front wheel, when abruptly stopped continues as angular momentum to lift the rear. This would have been even more exaggerated going downhill :shock:

Your post comes at an interesting time, as I just declared yesterday that I will no longer ride to/from work without full lights as the days are getting short. I might have to rethink my light setup to include a strobe for added safety. Your story proves that even bright LEDs can be disregarded by some drivers.

e-beach said:
"I had full right of way and the guy should have waited for me to pass..."

Famous last words. Right of way means nothing when you've have tire on top of you. Glad you're still with us but get some training and a sense of paranoia that assumes all vehicles are out to get you.

Proper lighting is essential but some of these setups might do more harm than good if they blind approaching vehicles. And I'm always very, very aware and guarded when it comes to "target fixation" from the other guy. They may not want to hurt you but they often do because they don't understand how to drive safely & defensively. On bikes, we gotta do it for them...

Damn that must have sucked.

I was getting all primed to start lecturing about how you asked for it, hauling ass in the dark or rolling a stop sign. Instead you just encountered a complete moron. Cops might have even made your situation worse, if you aren't medical insured for the amblance ride they'd have forced you into. Too bad though about the money. I'd have started the negotiations at about $200 at least. I don't suppose you got his name and address? Not too late to make him pay more now that you know how much you're hurting. But on the other hand, it's a you say he says deal, and he didn't actually hit you.

Getting around on two wheels is not for the inattentive, tired or not, you gotta be ready for anything. I made the same kind of mistake, my bad crash was at about 15 mph, casually reaching for a drink, and wham. I wasn't paying attention once I slowed from 25 mph. I had just started riding again after years in cars.

You need to learn better evasive manuvers too. Lock up the rear tire first, and skid a turn next time. Get an old crappy tire, and learn to steer a skidded turn. Lock up just the rear brake, then throw the hip to hook a left turn that matches his left trun so you'll pass him. After you are missing the car, then you can add front brakes.

And set up those brakes so the front grabs just a hair slower than the rears. Just slamming the brakes works poorly on two wheels, you just go in a straight line, and rarely can stop in time. Buy time with the brakes, then start steering out of the trouble if it's not too late. Assume every car will left cross you and be ready for it.

I feel ya man, went over my bars yesterday, in the dark, off roading in some grass, I went into a swamp of goo. It was scary as F*ck!! I did a "tuck and roll" and was waiting for the ouch part to happen, but it never did, was like I landed into 3 feet of foam. That was a relief. Although physically ok, mentally I'm still dealing, as the goo I landed in was the most vile mud/rain/lake/sewer/compost/tar/budweiser mixture ever, feet, ass, back, hands, covered in the mixture I pulled the bike, (also perfectly fine physical) out and rode a mile home. People must have been scared that swamp thing just rolled a ghost dirt bike down the road. I've been having flash back of the last "scene" I remember before deciding the tuck and roll. Miraculously my head/face didn't get the goo, and my body is no worse off than before the ride, but man, I have seriously reconsidered riding without a helmet.

oh yeah... e-beach, did you have melon protection on?

Thanks all for the concern. Looks like it is only sprained wrists, badly sprained left hand and a slightly skinned knee. Could have been so much worse. :oops:
Looks like I am not doing much today so I will peck out a few answers using only my elbows and finger tips.

RC Extreme Power said:
I am not a vindictive or i am a person that wants something for nothing but there is no way i would have let that slide and not called the police and got a report on file for it.
Calling the L.A.P.D. is a two edged sward. They have so much on their plate that I would have had to wait until my level of importance on their list popped up, depending on what was happening else-where. A non-amblance type bicycle accident is not high priority. It could have taken a while, maybe an hour or more before they got there. I just wanted to get home.
RC Extreme Power said:
What if you get up in the morning and find you have a broken wrist or something worst, Who is going to pay for your lose of work and medical bills. ????
I knew my wrists weren't broken when I left the accident scene, but it is a point well taken. I would have to pay for the medical bill and sue the driver later.
dingoEsride said:
I would have to agree to letting the cops know if you got his plate number, the next couple of days will be bad for you so take it easy
I did get his license plate number.
winkinatcha said:
Get some anti-inflammatories into you (assuming you are not allergic to em) I find Ibuporfen is best... N easy on the alcohol, nothing worse than a hangover on top of the next-day-after-pavement-kiss
Doing the anti-inflam thing and kept it to 4 pints so no big hangover.....
cal3thousand said:
Sounds like you were near Wilshire area (k-town) by the local inhabitants, which can be a dangerous place for bikers.
I ride Venice Bl to La Brea through Rempau, Olympic, then through K-town and into Pico-union. Then reverse it on the way home. As a local you know that is no easy ride. I went down on 5th ave north of Olympic, South west corner of (as you guessed) K-town. My boss is now telling me I may be transferred to east L.A. :(
cal3thousand said:
Good thing you have some strong brakes, because that could have been worse.
I tuned them up just before starting this new job...guess I did a good job.
cal3thousand said:
The rotating mass of the front wheel, when abruptly stopped continues as angular momentum to lift the rear.
I believe it...having felt the flying force of it. :evil:
cal3thousand said:
Your post comes at an interesting time, as I just declared yesterday that I will no longer ride to/from work without full lights as the days are getting short. I might have to rethink my light setup to include a strobe for added safety. Your story proves that even bright LEDs can be disregarded by some drivers.
Before I got my big (now destroyed) led lights I was just carrying a led flashlight. When it looked like a car was going to try to turn in front of me I shined it at their faces and kind of wiggled it around. For some reason that seemed to keep them from turning in front of me. Not sure why it froze them, but it did. I am going to replace my headlights and reincorporate the flashlight in the face technique.

Ykick said:
get a sense of paranoia that assumes all vehicles are out to get you.
Actually, I have had that paranoia for quite some time. From personal experience. Been ridding bicycles and motorcycles for 47 years. Went 15 years with only motorcycles. So when you say "assume all vehicles are out to get you." ....all I can say is...."no truer words were ever spoken!!!"
dogman said:
Damn that must have sucked.
Yea-it-did! Still does actually.....
dogman said:
Instead you just encountered a complete moron.
Yes he was!
dogman said:
You need to learn better evasive maneuvers too. Lock up the rear tire first, and skid a turn next time. Get an old crappy tire, and learn to steer a skidded turn. Lock up just the rear brake, then throw the hip to hook a left turn that matches his left turn so you'll pass him. After you are missing the car, then you can add front brakes.
Practice is a good idea. On my motorcycles I never engaged my front break before my rear. I need to reconsider my bicycle ridding habits.

dogman said:
And set up those brakes so the front grabs just a hair slower than the rears.
Do you mean set it up so that I have to pull my front break lever further then my right lever to get full engagement?

Lessss said:
Always better to lightly break and turn than it is to hard break and skid or flip.
I have to agree 100%, but this time it happened to abruptly. He paused like he was going to stop and then turned in front of me. :cry:

shock said:
I feel ya man, went over my bars yesterday, ........my body is no worse off than before the ride, but man, I have seriously reconsidered riding without a helmet.
Sorry to hear that! :shock: As they said in my day, "It's bad to be a flying W."
Glad you are ok! Good rolling!
I have been considered the helmet thing myself.

cal3thousand said:
oh yeah... e-beach, did you have melon protection on?

Aaaaaaaa......no. It is on the top of the list but I won't have the budget for at least 12 days. :|

Dang, glad you're ok.

I had that happen when driving a car. The guy turned left in front of me and told the cops he was eating a sandwich and not paying attention.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive. I'm always amazed when I see a car with dents and a missing fender driving like crap. It's like, "hello, do you not know why your car looks like crap? Have you learned nothing?"

im not gonna lie i would hit a guy if he made me crash my bike and offered me 10 bux....glad your ok

MikeFairbanks said:
Dang, glad you're ok.

I had that happen when driving a car. The guy turned left in front of me and told the cops he was eating a sandwich and not paying attention.
Thanks...

Eating a sandwich? All I can say is, (in my best Henry Fonda imitation)...Good God!

skeetab5780 said:
im not gonna lie i would hit a guy if he made me crash my bike and offered me 10 bux....glad your ok
Thanks for that, but I didn't have the hands to do it.....a bear hug and a chomp on his ear maybe... :lol:

Glad you are ok! Had a dude make a right cross on me, knew he was gonna do it, was ready to hit the the brakes, did it, and I avoided it .I circled around the the block and found him unloading a big bag of burger king and said hey dude,you need to watch out for pedestrians and bicyclist's. His answer was, Shut up. He was a big boy, meaning FAT. I was so infuriated all I could say was f#@% you fat ass!. as I was riding off he said, I didn't hit you. I just rode on. Gotta watch out! Randel

No riding for 12 days! Or find the cash to buy a helmet. your 2 logical choices.

ebent said:
No riding for 12 days! Or find the cash to buy a helmet. your 2 logical choices.

To me the real answer is to practice those emergency stops. At only 13mph a rider needs to be able to safely stop in an extremely short distance. Since that's about the only defense you have at that speed other than looking ahead to avoid the emergency stop completely, practice is even more important.

e-beach said:
On my motorcycles I never engaged my front break before my rear. I need to reconsider my bicycle ridding habits.
<snip>
Do you mean set it up so that I have to pull my front break lever further then my right lever to get full engagement?
You could do that. What I also do is swap my levers so front brake is on the right; opposite of most bicycles in the USA, same as most motorcycles. I oriignally did this because the front brake is your main brake, and I also needed to be able to make turn signals by hand, which is done with the left hand (I have long since done this with lights instead, as it is MUUUUCH more effective at communicating since few poeple know what hand signals are).

This page:
http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
has a lot of good info and points, to let people decide what they want to do but know *why* they are choosing that.

e-beach said:
Lessss said:
Always better to lightly break and turn than it is to hard break and skid or flip.
I have to agree 100%, but this time it happened to abruptly. He paused like he was going to stop and then turned in front of me. :cry:
If someone to the left of me (either behind me *or* in front of me) begins to slow AT ALL I also slow, assuming that they are going to turn in front of me, suddenly, at any instant, and I move left to get behind them if traffic permits, and slow a bit more than they did so I leave at least a car-length gap (preferably two if I can), so there is no way I can end up underneath them as they turn. Much of the time they DO end up turning without further warning, someitmes slowing further first but usually not. Occasionally a full stop happens first because they almost miss their turn and have to actually do a little question-mark to make it. :roll:

Sounds like you have more two wheel experience than I thought. Just got caught out that night because you were tired. It happens.

Brakes, yes, I like to set up brakes so the rears engage slightly ahead of the fronts. Same grip on both handles will apply the rear a nanosecond sooner, and the rear will grab harder. I know, the front brake is the one that stops you, yadda yadda. But with the shorter cable and less stretch, you can easily set up brakes so when you do a panic grab, the front brake locks first. I prefer the opposite.

This setup does not mean you can't fully lock the front brake, but it makes it easier to lock the rear without fully locking the front. Locked rear you can steer, locked front, if you don't fly, cannot be steered.

I find the very shortest stopping distance is achieved by having both wheels skidding 90 degrees, and as you know, once pointed a new direction you want throttle instead of brakes. Ya know, how they turn motocross. Just up the skill level to doing it on pavement with skinny tires.

In this particular case, you had plenty of stopping distance, including flight distance. You just grabbed too much front too hard.

That was about average for me too for awhile. Once going to work, once coming back minimum, every day. Then I adjusted my route and my attitude and it got to be once a week at most. Now that I'm all sick and driving to work again, it's back to a close call daily, if not twice daily. :roll:

Today it was walking though, a guy yakking on his phone nearly got me as he impatiently zoomed through the wallmart entrance crosswalk. As I headed for my car around the row he comes, slow now looking for an open spot, and there I am in front of the only parking space in the row. I slowed down, he gave me a look, I gave him THE look. Eventually I moved on. Frockhead.

I hope you don't get transferred to East LA. You can have my helmet if they do that in the next 12 days. :D

I've rode a couple times into East LA to go the abandon-warehouse-looking Sears and it was sketchy to say the least. Lots of big rigs all over the place and people that just don't give a eff.

Heal up buddy, and maybe we can catch a beer together soon.

Back