BSOs: Bikesdirect Motobecane 300HT or Gravity Basecamp? Unboxed on pg. 2

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy folks.

So i've got 3 recumbents, all which need fabrication of some sort, and don't have the space or time..
But i've been off ebikes for a few years now, and i really don't like it.
I was thinking of putting together another upright, and i saw this fine BSO:

Save Up to 60% Off Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Front Suspension Mountain Bikes

1702773662828.png

I'm thinking of having a max speed of about 30-35mph, and have a motor around 2kw peak..

Anyway just wanted a sanity check on the build quality of these. Any holes in the plot?

I don't know them well enough to say, but if it's useful there's this thread about a much older version of the 550HT using a BBSHD

i saw this fine BSO
What's 'fine' about it except the price? Frame appears ok, but the components are bottom-of-the-barrel. You're not overly far from me,... so... I just might be persuaded to free-up a much better builder. Does it have to be new?

Fine BSO - meant as sarcasm :)

But really, from appearances, framewise, it looks as good as the ol' trek 4500 from the 2000's i rode, except it's not ~20 years old.. :)
Components, i can replace them all. I have a full set on hand.

Let me know what you got - i need an extra large frame, ie 20-22", BTW

I don't know them well enough to say, but if it's useful there's this thread about a much older version of the 550HT using a BBSHD
Thanks for this :)

The cream is a '99 DBR FS. However, after reexamination, the screwy frame geometry might not be suitable for battery. Not measured stand-over yet (or do you want bb-to-top tube numbers?

This one - same color even:

-

Damn, that's a nice bike, but i really want that monster triangle so i can stuff a grin 52v 23ah battery in it:

1702786511755.png

So i have to pass!

My last bike was a turner o2.. but these are also going on 20 years old now.. and it's increasingly hard to find a bike with suspension and an open triangle..

1702786589999.png

Good thing i'm not building a 60mph capable bike this round.. :mrgreen:

I also have a mid-late 90's Stump Jumper, but IIRC it's a 16 or17 incher. Also, a early 90's Nishiki hardtail hidden somewhere under the snow:unsure:. I do not collect Muffys or similar discards.

Also, a early 90's Nishiki hardtail hidden somewhere under the snow:unsure:.
Like this?
1702791878071.png
Someday :roll: I'd still like to build that bike up...even though I don't think I can ride a regular "tall" bicycle anymore (too likely to fall over and break myself).

Like this?
Actually... I was thinking it was the Nishiki, but 'its obviously not (a $50 pond shop score) even the tires are OEM:

Attachments

• P1000-web.jpg
    P1000-web.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P1000868.JPG
    P1000868.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 6
  • P1000854.JPG
    P1000854.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I do have the Nishiki... just need to remember where I put it :unsure:

my 400ht was good for the few thousand I rode it with the bbs02. no bso problems. Motobecane is not a junk company like "Shimenko"... lol. (clone Shimano) ... Motobecane, made in Taiwan, is an old conglomerate or company or whatever. French mopeds.

I've had a couple of BD bikes and know others who have owned them. All had sturdy frames and components better than expected for the price. Good choice IMO.

it's increasingly hard to find a bike with suspension and an open triangle..
I've been looking for a long time and I do find them but dont got the cash when I do find them.

2012 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 is the latest one I saw in my travels, the smaller frames dont have the angled top tube, while the bigger frames have the zig-zagged/angled top tube. Makes it harder to stuff battery in there with the odd geometric shape of the triangle.

That green bike of yours is something I'd build up and ride, but I am more interested in 29x3 capable tires but run 29x2.40-2.60, with torque pas, regen, ebraking but keep everything simplified and not to much clutter on the bike.

...it's increasingly hard to find a bike with suspension and an open triangle..
Some good suggestions in this thread:

If you're looking for FS and an "open" triangle Giant's Maestro system and recent GT's have the shock very low if the frame.

Some good suggestions in this thread:

That's actually a pretty good thread. But my criteria for 'large triangle' is that it can fit a triangle battery, or at least 2 of these small size batteries:

1702935661673.png

My bare minimum is 1kwhrs, so my ideal is both full suspension, and the largest battery we can stuff into the triangle.
My biggest problem is i need an xtra large, so used bikes with super big triangles are even rarer for me. 26" is even rarer.

Going back to the original $298 yellow bike, I like it. Has tabs in front for a disk brake caliper, if you have a spare wheel and rotor/calipers sitting around...

Right? it may have some cheesy parts but the frame looks quality from here ( Reminds me of a good 2000's Trek knockoff ) and i can't find anything negative online about it.

The only caveat is that i know i'd be unhappy without rear suspension in this area. Suspension seat posts are supposedly pretty good, but i'm not sure how much impact they help remove from the frame over crappy pavement, if any.

The idea at least seems sound!

Will this be for the Bikee (worlds lightest) mid drive?

Yeah, that first, then i want to try a Grin All Axle Rear at sorta high power ( 2000W ).

Last edited:
Allright.

I did some further hunting and almost purchased another Turner frame from ebay that was the same size and color as my Super Hiryuu, but the seller backed out and decided to keep it to himself!

Current feel:

1703228992589.png

But.... i want to experiment with chemistries like sodium ion and other mid-density, high safety chemistries like it. I'll need a really big triangle, and a hardtail is where it's at for big triangles, so an e-BSO it is!

Bikeisland, the subsidiary of bikesdirect, had this Gravity hardtail on sale for $139 shipped in their scratched & dented section.
BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

1703228852788.png

Couldn't say no to such a great deal.. less than half the price of the motobecane! let's see how it goes!

Certainly a lot of battery space. Are you planning a custom rigid case to help brace the front triangle?

Suspension posts are well worth testing. I was a late convert to them, and am very impressed with them, at least for on-road. They’re not a gimmick by any means.

Certainly a lot of battery space. Are you planning a custom rigid case to help brace the front triangle?

Suspension posts are well worth testing. I was a late convert to them, and am very impressed with them, at least for on-road. They’re not a gimmick by any means.

I plan to get one of the grin triangle batteries and design a brace for it to sit as far forward as possible, so that the battery weight can be suspended by the front fork as much as possible. I'm hoping that this makes the back less rickety than in previous builds. The battery should also sway around a lot less.

Example of my previous builds ( 15lbs of lipo inside ):

1703280697986.png

This 'Gravity' bike and the motobecane both seem to have fully round tubes, so i can use pipe clamps from the hardware store to make this happen.

Fair enough. I’d recommend putting a dummy load in the frame for a test ride before progressing with the build though. Small tube diameters, especially with large frames, are an acquired taste. The aficionados like to call them “whippy”.

“floppy” is a close synonym though. If you have a stationary resistance trainer and get out of the saddle to put some power down you’ll see all sorts of disconcerting frame flex, particularly if you’re swaying and rocking using the bars for leverage.

I guess my point is twofold. First that if you ride hard and are more used to stiffer frames then you might not like the ride. And secondly, that with skinny tubes the fatigue life is not just theoretical and you’ll encounter it eventually.

Having said that, the downtube and chainstays on your new frame look burly enough. There’ll be plenty of flex around the bottom bracket though.

Last edited:
You've got some good points!

I will admit that the Gravity appears to have the narrowest tubes of the entire lineup. But said tubes may be thicker to compensate. We'll see.

Whereas the Motobecane reminds me a lot of my Trek 4500, which was regarded as an excellent bike at the time.

Lemme know what you think about suitability based on this:
1) I never stand up on the pedals.
2) I like to pedal around 90-100rpm. I'm biomechanically inefficient, so i'm doling out ~75% of the leg torque of the average rider. Higher frequency, lower intensity on the bottom bracket torque.
3) No offroading or jumping.
4) I ride in a semi-tuck with handlebars way forward. So weight distribution is more forward than usual.
5) The battery will be forward biased.
6) Fork will be replaced with a new one with 30mm stanchions.
7) No more than 2000 watts on this bike, and i will limit the initial torque to a little lower than my liking to encourage pedaling.
8) The bike's purpose is temporary. If it holds up for a year, i'm happy.

Does this still hold up to a basic sanity check?😅

Last edited:
Back