Building E-bike with E-backpack

I just completed the plans for the hidden controller box
It will be on the right side so it will most of the time be hidden to the drivers

e6u4rd.jpg

2ypjbja.jpg

Drunkskunk said:
You know, if you're capable of building that, you should build it as a box and put your batteries in it.

its on my list for my next build :) whats so wrong with my bak pack lol

today I am shopping for the connector that will connect backpack to Bike. I want something that will look nice. Anderson 50Amps looks perfect but 50amps seems to be low... 120Amps are too big

I Will be using the 18FET controller from Lyen with 9c hub motor

I could be wrong here, but I feel like anderson's aren't really designed for the frequent connecting/disconnecting that you would be doing with this system.

As for the backpack concept itself, it's a neat idea. I'm not sure I would be completely comfortable doing it myself though, for reasons previously stated. You might want to consider a putting in a layer of fire resistant materials to protect your back in the event of catastrophic failure.

x88x said:
I could be wrong here, but I feel like anderson's aren't really designed for the frequent connecting/disconnecting that you would be doing with this system.

As for the backpack concept itself, it's a neat idea. I'm not sure I would be completely comfortable doing it myself though, for reasons previously stated. You might want to consider a putting in a layer of fire resistant materials to protect your back in the event of catastrophic failure.

Yea I think so too! As mentioned in my other thread the backpack will be used with other voltages for many other applications such as my E-bike, lawn mower, hedge trimmer, trimmer, blower and my Iron man outfit. :shock:

110v 10AH
74v 15AH
37v 30AH

Today I purchased Hyperions super conductor connector 120/280 amps
4.5mm
2dtrotj.jpg

and I sarted cleaning the bike because I bought it used and I hate dirty things lol

hi!

i´m using two of these Axio Urban Hardpacks for my 10 and 12AH 48V Lifepo4 Packs

bogjivdliv4bkdue7.jpg

i´m using 30A power poles

bogjkqga1q7ni6azj.jpg

this is just awesome! I love your backpack idea lol :wink:

did you have problem with that setup?

Pedalex said:
hi!

i´m using two of these Axio Urban Hardpacks for my 10 and 12AH 48V Lifepo4 Packs

bogjivdliv4bkdue7.jpg

i´m using 30A power poles

bogjkqga1q7ni6azj.jpg

Nice setup. I have been using cheap soft backpacks, but then they deform with all that weight, need to start looking at a hard pack or better quality soft pack.

Where did you get your spiral power cable? I'm just using 10aw wire and it's not very flexible so would really like something like that.

From what I can see in the pics your bike looks very cool. Do you have a build thread?

I know a few people have asked if you can get extra injuries wearing a backpack when you crash. Yes, I did some damage to my right shoulder when I went over the hood of a car then hit the ground and rolled. The shoulder strap caused bruising and tearing that would not have happened otherwise.

Gary

A hardpack would be safer too, imo. It would make it easier to protect your back and shape a pressure release path in the event of catastrophic failure.

it´s not really a build thread - more like an almost ready-thread and bike number 3 is under construction at the moment.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22035

no problems with the backpack so far. i had my first battery pack mounted on the bike but using 2 backpack-packs makes it easier to carry the bikes and easier to charge the battery in the flat

cable comes from http://www.conrad.at but i don´t think they ship out of europe
http://www.conrad.at/ce/de/product/602227/SPIRALKABEL-OeLFLEX-5G15-5001500/SHOP_AREA_17417&promotionareaSearchDetail=005

I received my backpack today. I am very pleased with the quality of the fabrics. Tonight, I will get to work building the foam block that will secure the batteries in place. I might re-work the styrofoam block because the bag is thinner than I thought.

Should I go ahead and order 8 x 37v packs with 5AH from hobbyking? Or should I order the batteries last?

I can't believe I didn't think of this before (and it's rather late since you've already purchased the plugs), but what about just a normal wallplug? Or a standard 3-prong plug like from a PC PSU? They're not that big, are designed to be plug-cycled a lot, and will handle more amps than you'll be pushing. ...you would want to put in a biga** diode/fuse arrangement to make sure that it doesn't blow up (or blow up other things) if someone plugs it into a wall outlet, but it could definitely work. Actually, the more I think of it, the PC plug would work better than a standard wall plug. Use the female pin side for the battery pack and the male pin side on the bike, maybe under a ledge or something. Or, if you're pushing more than ~100A or so, maybe step up to one of the big server plugs (still not that big).

Thought about this thread when I was poking around at REI. Ended up buying Mountainsmith Lumbar pack on Amazon for 20s2p lipo.

Haven't implemented yet, but testing size here:
file.php

My logic in using it:
- why bother mounting and unmounting a pack this winter to bring inside to charge?
- why not just unplug leads and WALK inside (home or office), unclip the belt, set down using handles and then plug in?
- the added weight on the torso would be irritating over longer trips, but probably not over short ones
- by standing while riding, i'll get some much needed thigh exercise!
- no more worries about leaving the lipo pack out in the cold
- time saved not having to the pack in
- a case with a vent directed away from my body could be created if i feared combustion...
- the bike should certainly handle better, esp in the woods, though the balance will be more to the rear now
Other pics here.

GC,

Don't let the cops near the White House see what's inside your pack! :shock: :D

Nice pack though. How much does it all weigh?

Ambrose

this is awesome its how i ride, i was told it would be a bad idea but i actually like it better, the cg is much more controllable since its strapped to my back, also no need for odd bars to hold it on a full suspension bike, and finally, i dont worry leaving it to get stolen on a bike rack at school since i cant easily lock it (besides the plastic handle) assafely as i can lock the hub rim with 2 chains

Alright folks! Summer is about to begin and I need to finish this project ASAP!

I have 4 x 37v 5AH nanotech batteries pushing 90c burst

I have a hobby charger shown in previous picture to charge them as idividual... Altho it takes ages to charge LOL...
(It weights less than 10 pounds)

I just finished stuffing 24s3p of 5ah lipo into an axio swift hardpack. It weighs in at about 12 kilos, and it does get noticeable over an hour of riding. With the smaller amount you're running I bet you won't even feel it if you get a good backpack designed for biking.

for my personal bike I was wondering if I should use

10s turnigy nano tech battery for 108$ each
After many rc racers at my local track turnigy has a very short life expectation, puffs, and are hazardous

or

10s hyperion battery for 300$ each I run Hyperion products in all my rc and they are flawless (ISO 9001)
very satisfied and they run like new even after a year!

but making a 84v - 15AH pack will cost be $764 if I use turnigy

or $1800 with hyperion batteries

Any comments? considering they will be in a backpack might change some opinion

Turnigy / zippy puff because they do not handle abuse like the high dollar lipo does. But, they are also not crap either. They're pretty damn good for what you pay for.

The reality of RC use is that people run over the C rating, discharge below 3.0v, charge too high, use shitty chargers etc. all day long.

There is also about a 10% dud rate with Turnigy/Zippy so that explains many 'hit or miss' results. Your local RC guys are probably not very obsessive about their battery life like we are in the ebike community. We pay attention when there is a low cell in a pack, we don't just put it on the charger and keep using it without acknowledging that that's a retarded thing to do first.

So if you were to buy 10% extra turnigy/zippy batteries than you needed, after testing each battery to see what condition it is in, this pack would cost you a lot less.

Also for 15ah you don't need nanotech for it's discharge rate. eBikes draw between 15-45 amps for low-mid power setups, and 45-100 for very high power setups. I have a 20ah pack for example and i only discharge 36 amps at most out of it, not even a 2C load, and my voltage drop is about 0.6v on a 10S pack. That's with the cheapo 20C turnigy lipo.

Also that is going to be heavy in a backpack.. it may get old carrying around about 20lbs of weight.. just something to consider.

Back