Building E-bike with E-backpack

Looks like an awesome build. Although 2k is a lot of money...

If stealth was the main issue, I am wondering though, why you didn't decide to mount hard panniers, and just drill or cut appropriate holes, using the panniers themselves to hide all the wiring (except to the handlebars of course - but shrink wrapped wires zip tied right next to brake cables are very subtle)

Sunder said:
Looks like an awesome build. Although 2k is a lot of money...

If stealth was the main issue, I am wondering though, why you didn't decide to mount hard panniers, and just drill or cut appropriate holes, using the panniers themselves to hide all the wiring (except to the handlebars of course - but shrink wrapped wires zip tied right next to brake cables are very subtle)

It was a possibility. I just wanted to have a hidden backpack under my jacket and taking it with me whenever I lock my bike somewhere.

the only thing you will see is a big DD hub. Nothing else :D

i wanted the same thing. Another hidden benefit is that with the bats on your back it is easier to carry the bike up stairs or to put it on a bus rack or something. Also, keeping the weight of the battery on your back means that as you naturally move with the bike, you take that weight with you, preserving the feeling of your center of gravity that you were already used to from riding.
on the other hand, having put 2000km on my 15 kilo lipo backpack, i have developed much larger shoulder muscles, and a rash were the straps constantly weigh on the top of my shoulders. Weird, but we all make sacrifices i guess :p.

Doesn't that get heavy on your back? When I go grocery shopping on my bike with a backpack I can probably cram in about 25 to 30 pounds in there and it feels very uncomfortable and awkward riding home with that load on my back. I'm not entirely sure it's the weight or the way it's sitting in the backpack. The pack you got looks like it sits right up close to your back, looks more ideal than a regular pack.

I carry my batteries around in a rear rack bag and I pull the battery off and lug it around with me when shopping and going into work. I find it very inconvenient to have to carry the batteries everywhere I go. I suppose that's the trade off for having an electric powered bicycle.

IM so angry at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!

usps says packaging was successfully delivered when IT IS NOTTTTT........... AGGRRR

Try using USPS to Australia.

I can have a part from China - a supposedly developing country, on my desk in typically 5-8 working days.

From the US, apparently a first world country, it takes 3-4 weeks to get to sorting, 3-4 more weeks to get through customs, 1 day to get to Australia, then Australian customs will hold on to it one more day, and it'll be on my desk 2 days after it arrives in Aust.

What the hell is wrong with you Americans? You're cutting jobs out of USPS at a time where everything in the US is like half the price it is here, and I want my goodies faster!

OK I found it!!!!! My neighboor took it becuase it was in sitting at my front door... why dont they require a signature?

wow
I could have lost 500 bucks

dmxkqe.jpg

2re185x.jpg

here's my current setup untill I receive the battery pack

man I cannot wait to ride this thing

Andje, help me get this bike up to 70km/h lol

think with a 74v/10ah pack Ill be able to reach this speed?

I thought a 9c came with hall sensors... they dont.. I hope that wont cause me problems with lyen's controller...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received my PSU

I love it!!!
Adjustable voltage from 10v to 30.1v (LCD display)
Adjustable amps from 10amps to 80amps (LCD display)
4ports
total output = 2000w :D
super easy for karl to understand

and a very smart Hyperion chargers that is just flawless

Still waiting for the CA to arrive and batteries should be getting here anytime 8 x 5s 5ah nano-tech turnigys

they got a bad rating but I asked them to put a note in my order to check all cells of all batteries before shipment... hope I get them all balanced .....

what else shoudl I order to get this think rolling?

wires? what guage what type? connectors? Andersons maybe but what size?

tonight I cutted the wires on the motor throttle & controller to fix new connectors on all wires :)

hi my motor is taken appart and I am upgrading the phase wires and hall wires.... The cord that is wraped around the copper wire is in the way... Can I cut it without having problems in the future?

Many factories just use zip ties to hold the phase wires down to the interior of the stator, and that varnished cord to hold the windings down has often been in pretty bad shape on most of my motors with no ill effects. I personally haven't worried about the cord and just secure the rest of the phase wire with zip ties, so it's impossible to jiggle around and cause a problem with the rotor.

Maybe some pics just to be sure it's not used for something different and critical on your motor.

SAM_1178.jpg

when I just got my ebikekit!

SAM_1191.jpg

SAM_1190.jpg

SAM_1197.jpg

changed all the hall wires

SAM_1196.jpg

SAM_1195.jpg

SAM_1194.jpg

after 5 hours of strugguling I finaly managed to fit the 5 hall wires with the 3 12awg phase wires with perfect soldering job

SAM_1201.jpg

SAM_1200.jpg

SAM_1199.jpg

SAM_1202.jpg

final results!!!

I cut the cord wire holding many copperwires while soldering I hope it wont blow up my motor....

your patience has been rewarded

:D

SAM_1178.jpg

when I just got my ebikekit!

SAM_1191.jpg

SAM_1190.jpg

SAM_1197.jpg

changed all the hall wires

SAM_1196.jpg

SAM_1195.jpg

SAM_1194.jpg

after 5 hours of strugguling I finaly managed to fit the 5 hall wires with the 3 12awg phase wires with perfect soldering job

SAM_1201.jpg

SAM_1200.jpg

SAM_1199.jpg

SAM_1202.jpg

I would have left the cord that wasn't in your way in place. When it starts burning and smoking at 451F, it's a good indicator you should stop to cool er off. :twisted:

I have a motor I burned it away on that is running fine without it. It could be just that it's helpfull for the initial winding of the wire, more than it's needed later for running.

I see people putting epoxy all over the halls / wires... Should I do that while i am at it?
if so, what type of epoxy

thanks,
karl

High temperature. Typically anything that claims you can fix your engine block with it is good enough. JB weld, PC7, that sort of thing. Generally the 5 min set stuff melts at lower temps. Slower setting epoxy tends to have higher softening temps.

I've been using PC7 for sticking the halls, myself. Surely something better exists, but not in my garage at the moment.

Personally, I don't like to use epoxy that may make future hall replacements difficult. I don't want to be chipping away with a chisel just to get epoxy off. I just like to use a high temp silicone sealant that dampens vibrations, and seals against moisture. It's easier to remove if need be. I could be doing it wrong also....

Errrr I am stuck in my build with the connections....................

I think I made several mistakes.

before starting unplugging I thought maybe lyens controller wont budge because lyens set it for a 74v battery(that has not arrived yet) and wont start with my powersupply set at 31v....

Other question. The red wire on controller that I need to (tap) with the positive battery wire to activate controller... I made a press switch but has mention above it wont start... Or how do I know its on?

Instead of a pressswitch should I change to a perm switch (on/off)????

Back