Cecil's ride - 2017 Raleigh Kodiak 1 full suspension 27.5 plus bike with 750w TSDZ2 mid drive and rear rack dog carrier

John and Cecil said:
I am sorry about Peanutbutter, I guess he is getting old?
no, he was only just literally barely two years old, if that, when i unexpectedly just found him dead on the back porch a couple days into this new year. :cry:

yogi, now he's gettin' old, hes about 11, but still healthy except for his left knee, which he messed up about 6 years ago and it's never been the same since, arthritic and expanded. and he doesn't have the energy he used to, but when he gets excited you can't tell that. :lol:

Cecil is showing his age now too, he is 10+ years old. He sleeps a lot and I have him on glucosamine/chondroitin supplements for early stages of arthritis. He walks ok most of the time but he has some days where it appears he has a little joint pain.
when i got tiny, she was already at least 7, and had serious hip/joint issues. i started giving her level 3 of i think it was overby farms joint tablets, about twice as much as the normal dose, for something like 3 months, before she began to respond to it. then almsot suddenly she began getting up without help, and running around like a puppy, etc. i moved her down to the regular dose of level3, and kept her on that the rest of her life and it helped quite a lot. (at least, until she got myasthenia gravis and slowly lost control of her voluntary muscles, starting at the tail end/back legs, though the meds for that helped tremendously for i guess a year?).

I have been thinking about it a lot lately and when he passes on I am going to be devastated, hopefully he has another 5 years but who knows. I am thinking about upgrading to a longtail cargo bike in the future, like the Mongoose Envoy. Then I can possibly adopt another rescue dog and ride with both of them simultaneously so when Cecil does leave me I won't feel so alone. Cecil really does not want another dog in our pack but I think it would be a good idea.
i prefer to keep at least a couple around, not just for me but for them, both so they ahve each other when i'm not there, and so the remaining one(s) and i have each other when one does die. (the hard part for me is not ending up with bunches of them, because i want to help them all, and i don't have the resources to do more than a few).

tiny, who had really always been an only dog even before i got her, didn't want one either, when i got yogi, especially since yogi was so much younger, but he fell in love with tiny on first meeting, and even though tiny didn't really want him there, she didn't reject him outright, and eventually liked playing with him, especially tugowar. it didn't take that long before she had completely accepted him.

when she died yogi was as devastated as i was, and he really didn't want a new one, and even tried to eat teddybear at first meeting, but he got used to her and eventually liked her, too, but she only lived about six months with us before her siezures killed her. then we got kirin, and yogi took a little to accept her, but then partnered up with her just fine; she's now been here like three and a half years i guess. when we then got the puppies (peanutbutter and jelly), yogi didn't really want them there either, way too much energy for him to deal with, but he got used to them and played with them quite a lot, for the short bursts of energy he has to do that with. kirin...she took longer to accept them, and didn't accept jelly for quite a bit longer than peanutbutter, who she took to for playtime easily since they were about the same size, and he was a boy while jelly is a girl (and it's not uncommon for multiple girls, spayed or not, to have troulbe getting along). the only serious problem i have had is that jelly, beofre peebs died, would sometimes just decide she needed to eat kirin, but neither one was ever really hurt, and kirin is bigger, and knows she's "in charge", and isn't interested in continuing a fight.

so...just out of the ones i've described above, there havent' been any serious problems (besides jelly's very rare tantrums with kirin, maybe three times i think, in the year and a half she's been here?).

anyway, just food for thought, that even older dogs that are set in their ways can accept new partners, as long as they're not such jealous dogs that they really will kill a new one over it. (jelly would probably be like that if she was the only dog to start with, if the new one was another girl, but probably not if it was a boy, and tiny would likely have been that way too, with anohter girl. kirin is jealous of other dogs, but as long as she gets to be near me whenever she's got the anxietals then she's ok).

Now you have me thinking about the 23 x 2.5" Mitas SW-08 slick motorcycle tire on a 27.5 rim.
sw-08d.jpg
as long as that is a good sticky tire, it would probably be a good choice. if there was a version of that that would fit any of my 26" rims, id' try it out, but i doubt there is. (or if i had a 27.5 rim to try it on, i'd build a wheel around that--but i don't have one yet, would have to find and buy one. would only want the bicycle rim cuz i don't need a heavy motorcycle rim on the front, not enough loading on the front for that....

if you do end up getting that one, and it does fit your 27.5 rim, then i'd be interested in finding the same 27.5 rim or one with the same bead seat diameter so the tire would fit it, and then trying a pair of those tires as my rear wheels, for when i change the trike over to larger rear wheels (for better ride quality than the ~22" outer tire diameter i have now, with the 16"/20" tires/rims i'm presently using).

John and Cecil said:
I think I just stumbled across a motorcycle tire that will actually fit a 26 bicycle rim if anyone is interested. Mitas SW-13 2.75" x 22 knobby tire. I believe the 26 bicycle rim is actually a 22" rim, as is this particular tire. I never saw a 22" motorcycle tire before.

sw-13.jpg
there's a thread for using 26" bike tires on 19" motorcycle rims over here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458
so if the 22" tire fits a 19" motorcycle rim, then maybe it might fit a 26" bike rim. I don't think it works on every tire/rim combo though, so you'd have to check taht thread for stuff that did work.

amberwolf said:
there's a thread for using 26" bike tires on 19" motorcycle rims over here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458
so if the 22" tire fits a 19" motorcycle rim, then maybe it might fit a 26" bike rim. I don't think it works on every tire/rim combo though, so you'd have to check taht thread for stuff that did work.

I think that link refers to someone swapping a rim on the wheel to use a 19" motorcycle tire. A 26 USA mountain bicycle wheel has a rim diameter of 559mm which is 22 inches. A 19" motorcycle tire will not fit a 26 rim because motorcycle tires are sized per rim diameter and not outer tire diameter like bicycles. I do not know the outer tire diameter of that tire that I posted but it fits a 22" motorcycle rim so I suspect it will fit a 26 bicycle rim if it was wide enough. It might have a taller profile though?

A 27.5 bicycle rim has a 584mm rim which is 22.99 inches. My last Kenda 27.5 plus tire was probably one of the first ones produced before the 650b was standardized and thus it was not stamped 2.8 x 650b but rather 2.8 x 23 M/C. The M/C stamp on the tire means it IS a 23" motorcycle tire. So my early 27.5 bicycle tire was actually classified as a 23" motorcycle tire. The manufacturer is stating on the bike tire that it has the same diameter as a motorcycle tire :)

Although I believe the tire will fit the rim I am unsure whether or not it can be mounted. Motorcycle tires have strong thick beads and they use machines or 12-18" heavy steel tire irons to mount them. Bicycle rims, especially plus width 27.5s are thin plate aluminum and motorcycle rims are heavy plate steel. I am worried that the rim may be damaged from mounting the tire. Perhaps if the tire is heated in the oven to over 100 degrees it might help. I am shocked no one has tried this yet, although the existence of 22" motorcycle tires is not very well known. The one I found is for special flat track racing cycles, it may be the only narrow 22" tire in existence.

I am so sorry about Peanutbutter :( Your dogs are lucky to have you. Cecil would prefer to be an only dog but he would accept and tolerate another dog. I am always with Cecil though and he is almost never left alone, I work from home and I take him everywhere. I even take him with me to the supermarket (they allow that here in Italy!) to go food shopping. He sits in the cart and as I walk around the aisles he sniffs everything. I agree though, it would be good to save more dogs. If we end up buying a small farm I may start a small dog rescue. I love dogs very much and there are a lot of them that need loving homes!

John and Cecil said:
I think that link refers to someone swapping a rim on the wheel to use a 19" motorcycle tire. A 26 USA mountain bicycle wheel has a rim diameter of 559mm which is 22 inches. A 19" motorcycle tire will not fit a 26 rim because motorcycle tires are sized per rim diameter and not outer tire diameter like bicycles.
sorry about that. it's been quite a long time since i read the thread, but i guess i misunderstood all the stuff i read there; it sounded like multiple people had used either mc tires on bike rims or bike tires on mc rims, in that size range, but that it only worked with very specific rims and tires, not just general sizes of rim and tire.

Although I believe the tire will fit the rim I am unsure whether or not it can be mounted. Motorcycle tires have strong thick beads and they use machines or 12-18" heavy steel tire irons to mount them. Bicycle rims, especially plus width 27.5s are thin plate aluminum and motorcycle rims are heavy plate steel.
there's plenty of aluminum mc rims. (the last steel ones i personally had here were from a 1970s honda dirtbike, but i haven't had many, so dont' know what the a/s ratio is out there).

both the mc wheels i have sitting in a shed (don't recall the bike they came from) are aluminum rims. they're huge heavy wide ones, not the type you'd want to try putting on a bicycle, though.

there are also plenty of people here on es that have used aluminum mc rims on their ebikes, in assorted sizes, with mc tires.

they are generally heavier / thicker than bicycle rims, but there are some pretty hefty bicycle rims out there, though i dunno if any come in the size you need.

i don't know about the larger mc tires, but the 16" tires generally fit well enough on the 20" bike rims. the rims i have are from an early zero mc, when they were still more like spiffy ebikes, so i dont' know if they used heavy duty bike rims or lightweigth moped or mc rims, so i don't know which mine actually are. but the shinko tires i'm using on them don't fit perfectly, and actually require careful lining up of the tire on the rim (rubber mallet :) ) as you inflate it or it ends up off-center a tiny bit (mm's).

they're not as thick as big heavy duty mc tires, though, whcih might take some serious leverage to get onto the rims, and as you say may damage thinner bike rims.

there is likely info in either that 19/26 thread or one of the several other bike-vs-mc tire/rim threads about that sort of thing.

I am always with Cecil though and he is almost never left alone, I work from home and I take him everywhere. I even take him with me to the supermarket (they allow that here in Italy!) to go food shopping. He sits in the cart and as I walk around the aisles he sniffs everything.
cant' do that with mine here; could if they were trained and registered as service dogs, but that would take half their lives to do, and more time than i have available. and the training suppresses their personalities and responsiveness, so they only do the specific things they are trained to do, and not whatever their personalities dictate (minus the stuff they're taught not to do cuz they shouldn't). i dont' really want to do that to them, cuz i like all their different personalities and behaviors. :)

i can bring them to my workplace, though, whenever i'm not actually working, so i do that sometimes (not as often as i should, but i don't really feel like going back there when i'm not working most days).

I agree though, it would be good to save more dogs. If we end up buying a small farm I may start a small dog rescue. I love dogs very much and there are a lot of them that need loving homes!
there are. i work with and permanent-foster for the az saint bernard rescue, ever since the housefire when i lost the dogs i had then. so i've always got at least a couple. i'd take more if i could; i have the yard for them, and space in the house, just not the time and money to take care of them.

Back