That is good. This one here uses 90ah
by john61ct » Nov 06 2021 10:36am

For comparison, the portable 12V compressor fridges, Engel as a leading example

can sip 10-14 Ah per 24hrs in drinks-fridge mode, coolish weather

double that in super hot ambients

double again in rock-hard-ice-cream freezer mode

That's a lot.

Can add insulation foam

just avoid the heat dissipation areas. Adding ventilation there helps.

Don't know how old the Refrigerators is. Could be doing the math wrong. That is the one reason I don't like 12V the amps are so high. Was figuring 1500w startup on 12V for a second or two.

What is the draw back of Copper Aluminum Sheet. That is Solid Aluminum sheet with Anodized Copper finish. Sheets are pre-brushed before copper finish is applied to give it a distinctive and elegant look. I'm sure if this was worth anything people would be using it.

Constructed of lightweight aluminum with a copper finish
Will not rust when exposed to moisture
Easy to cut and form with standard tools

36 in. x 36 in. Copper Aluminum Sheet - $41.65

Did some basic math. Nothing is on paper yet. First offer is a 6.5 KW system at $85/month. Guessing that is a 100% markup at 0%/interest + all the KW we don't use. We know they want to come out a head. Will 6.5KW be enough after say 10yrs.
Don't want to pay it off and it would be useless or need all new panels. I'm sure the Box will not last 20yrs or will it?
So that is $1000 per yr for all your electricity ? (24kWh/day = 8760 kWh/yr = $0.114/kWh)
I an guessing that is a better rate than anything you can get on a regular “pay per kW” deal ?
If so, it is a good deal in the short term......but...
....That is a 25 yr deal, and you will likely have to commit and sign a contract to maintain that payment schedule for the full 25 yrs, ..possibly even if you move house or even die .!
So , yes, beware the detail in the agreement !
I dont know what cost are like in your area, but to me a 6.6kW system is available for $3k installed ($5k for a top range system). So for me a self funded system would make make more sense if you have a storage option available.

First asked about who would be liable in the future. They said it would be attached to the house and house service. If the house was sold it would be sold as part of the house and CPS service. This is a concrete pad house there is no moving it. You can not use the house with out CPS service. That is in a law passed 5yrs ago.

Anytime it sounds to good to be true. I'm on the look out for the catch. To start with $85 month for 20yrs for this equipment. They will make a killing on the interest or equipment mark up. Then any KW made that we do use CPS sells to their customers. Then we are one less of a burden on the stressed grid.

Did not figure the dollar cost. That changes with the coal, natural gas surcharges. Solar, wind and nuclear are stable cost. Don't forget the biggest variable is the weather then how wasteful we are.

It cost just to be connected with service that is on. Have not look what that is in the last 5 years. It was $50-$60/month with out using any gas or electric. Our lowest bill not sure is around $90, fall/spring, Winter we use more Nat Gas same electric as fall/spring, Summer or the hot months 6 months of the year it will be $130-$200/month.

With out looking at the real data it's seems like a good deal. I will end up with the house. Figure as the system degrades will add a panel every few years or if the climate heats up faster.

Have not seen the system they are planning, what has become normal is the micro-inverter on each panel. That will deliver dirty AC to the combiner box. That is why i'm looking at some small DC backup with it's own panel 3-600w should do it.

by Hillhater » Nov 08 2021 6:37pm

Did some basic math. Nothing is on paper yet. First offer is a 6.5 KW system at $85/month. Guessing that is a 100% markup at 0%/interest + all the KW we don't use. We know they want to come out a head. Will 6.5KW be enough after say 10yrs.
Don't want to pay it off and it would be useless or need all new panels. I'm sure the Box will not last 20yrs or will it?

So that is $1000 per yr for all your electricity ? (24kWh/day = 8760 kWh/yr = $0.114/kWh)
I an guessing that is a better rate than anything you can get on a regular “pay per kW” deal ?
If so, it is a good deal in the short term......but...
....That is a 25 yr deal, and you will likely have to commit and sign a contract to maintain that payment schedule for the full 25 yrs, ..possibly even if you move house or even die .!
So , yes, beware the detail in the agreement !
I dont know what cost are like in your area, but to me a 6.6kW system is available for $3k installed ($5k for a top range system). So for me a self funded system would make make more sense if you have a storage option available.

The USB-C spec was recently updated to 48v and 5 amps (240 watts.) It's considered extended power range, EPR. It's too early to see much of anything available in the market but this will be pretty big for small appliances, ebikes, etc. Should also be very easy to connect to 12-24vdc or typical AC power. Might be worth seeing what's available for what you're looking to use. Will be a much bigger market in 6 months or so if the chip market can get the new chips that support this new spec out.

Some are wiring their homes worth 48vdc. Anything over that I don't think I'd want in my house. As someone else said here, the newer inverters are very efficient. Copper prices are crazy, you'd likely need much thicker wires to power your appliances if you moved to low voltage dc.

The key is very efficient appliances, smaller living spaces, and design with that in mind.

Or multiple packs, slow recharging over thinner wires.

Back