• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

couple of examples of Low Cost / Low Tech Speedo-O's

dudevato

1 mW
I found I needed to resize my pics in order to post them. Soon I'll get some of the Solar Only boats I've messed with. For now here are 2 speedo's I've put together.

I've read on line (either here or elsewhere) that GPS units are not accurate enough to differentiate very small changes in MPH, say the 1/10's we might be interested in knowing about. These do and for $10 and a couple of hours of fabbing.

This first one is made from a kid's bicycle wheel (10" I believe) with 10 or so fender washers tack welded on. The High Tech part of it :shock: is a digital bicycle speedo from Walmart. They go for like $10 as I remember, and can be calibrated to the different diameters of tires you'd find on different bicycles.

I never got around to calibrating this correctly as I was only interested in seeing differences between motors, directions on the lake (into or against the wind) etc. I'd guess it would be somewhat actuate if you used the 8 or 10" dia these paddle wheels are.

If you make something like this you will find it is Very Noisy :shock: and very Splashy :shock: You'd want to swing it into the water, take a reading, then swing it out of the water. Again, very distracting in contrast to the quite of an electric boat

But I wanted something to keep track of my day's adventure so I started over. I wanted it quite and calm and I wanted it to look a bit nicer.

#2 is based on a plastic/rubber lawn mower wheel. I cut shallow slots in it with a jig saw and Shoe Goo'd in some more fender washers. With it being enclosed the noise and splash ought to be diminished as much as possible.

Attachments

• 178.jpg
    178.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 193.jpg
    193.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 472
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 472
If you really need silent, would a prop on a little DC motor work? You could read the voltage on an analog meter, and calibrate it against a different speedo, marking out the speeds on the meter's face.

If sealing up the motor against water is an issue, you could use a speedo cable from something to drive it off the prop, or gearing and rods, but those make it more complex.

Back