Current Cycles Prototype Buildlog...

Working on most of that stuff but the ratio is 25:1 in the box. I am getting a good pedal cadence with this. I can easily keep up with the Moto at all but the highest RPM's where you really don't need to be pedaling anyway. As for the gear on the motor, it was mostly because this way I can easily tailor the RPM's for different applications. As for the noise, I have yet to actually run it but I have spun the drive backwards manually to close to the actual rpm and the only real noise is the motor itself.

Thanks for the info! Care to share what front freewheel configuration you are using in the end? Sorry to ask so many questions but after all my research, I prefer your direction the most and plan on making my bike similar. Thanks again!

-Mike

The front freewheel is an 18t white industries...

If you are interested, I will be selling these drives as soon as I have tested this one which will be soon. I already have the materials to make a few. PM me if you would pike to have me send you info for purchasing one... thanks!

Thanks again for the response! In addition to the White Industries freewheel, what are you using for the crankset pair of sprokets/freewheel? It's very nice and compact vs. some I've seen on here. Regarding purchasing, what would be included in the whole kit? Thanks!

-Mike

Well obviously I can do just the box, but I am actually planning on offering it complete minus bike and batteries. I will also build packs if needed...

Any weekend update? I'm eagerly awaiting the results of your testing. You are a terrible tease with all of these updates. :)

-Mike

Well, sorry I had planned to get this thing up and running this weekend but I had family things to attend to unfortunately. I hope to work on it during the week to make up for lost time... My wife needed me to help with the baby and house chores but I promise it will ne done soon! Sorry for the delay!!

Well, I got a little done, got the halls installed so it actually runs! I got to hear it run at WOT! the crazy thing is, even at close to 7000 RPM the only sound oyu hear is the motor! the gears make NO sound! I am sure they will make a little under load, but I think this is going to be great! My camera makes it sound loud, but remember the bike is indoors on a hard wood floor so it sounds much louder than it is! I am really excited. Now I just need to finish the freewheel adapter for the output shaft, and cap the ends and fill it with oil.....YES THIS IS STILL DRY, no chain lube, no nothin!!!

[youtube]tancV2Ke5zk[/youtube]

Huh, it looks ok to me, let me check it out...

Edit: Should be fixed now... Sorry!

your gears are decellerating rather quickly, this could happen because your gear mesh is set too tight

if the mesh is set properly the gears should be able to move a tiny bit when one of them is hold still.

The motor stops quickly like that anyway, but I was also holding the halls in place by hand and they were moving around and causing it to try and lock up. The gears are properly lashed @ .004-.006" using my DRO on my mill... If they were that tight, trust me they would be LOUD!

Looking great, Whiplash!

How long till we see the bike in motion?

Also, when the front shock compresses, are you sure the front wheel won't hit the box?

This is still DRY but I did squirt a bit of chain lube in the box to make sure the gears don't lock up! Not bad really, you mostly hear the motor and a bit of chain noise, which with the chain lubed and under a dust cover, it should be much better. I am pretty excited, I just wish the R/C motor I have was a bit quieter under load, it makes a good bit of groaning when you are using it hard, but I guess that comes with the territory. The camera also picks up every little nuance, its much better in person. all in all I am very pleased with it thus far! its WAAY better than the last box and I would consider it about equivalent to the Opti bike, but not so "Plastic" sounding....... Oh, yeah, and it has about double their best offering of power!! :)

By the way, this blast is about 35MPH GPS proven UPHILL and still climbing!

[youtube]ZW0uHtXUEYw[/youtube]

Ummm, maybe next time drive by BEFORE you go to the corner store. :lol: Not really much to see or hear, but now that you have it together, you have no excuse not to make the race in Grange!

Well, I may try, but I am more interested in preparing for the pikes peak climb. That showcases what my bike was built to do... If I get it all sorted out I will do some of the races, but that is not really what this bike is built for, and I doubt it will fare well against these other hot rods. I am not really a second place kind of guy, if I go to a race, I go to win or I don't go.. I am sure your bike would kick my arse!

fizzit said:
:shock: I blew two of those motors geared for under 35

I have said it before and ill say it again, ITS ALL ABOUT THE SHIFTING. That is the only reason this motor can do this.. That and the reduction of over 50:1 at the pedals to get the cadence I wanted. If i tried to take off in the 30 mph gear, i am sure a couple of times and it would be dead, i ride it like a motorcycle, shifting from first or second every time i talke off
I have over 300 miles on this motor geared exactly like it is currently, and I can climb a friggin brick wall if I wanted! Lol!

Update:
The bike is up and running! I am very pleased with the performance thus far, I need to finalize a few things like bigger side covers to finish the look, but the box is considerably quieter than the previous one and working great! Ill get new pics up after I finish the new side covers and cooling fan for the motor! Im hoping all goes well and I can release the system for sale soon!

-Bryan

Hello all! Testing update: Going well so far, I finally had a day to give it a good ride on road and then at dusk I just took it off road and it did very well! Ill get video soon!

Well, the bike is running great, but its looking like a schedule change at work is going to kill any free time I have to build these for a while. Another big hurtle to overcome, but at least I have work! Ill be posting things still, but the builds will come to a total halt for a bit, keeping the household income going strong takes first place over hobby stuff, even if it was it supposed to generate some income! Hopefully it will go back to normal sometime soon!

Whiplash said:
Update:
The bike is up and running! I am very pleased with the performance thus far, I need to finalize a few things like bigger side covers to finish the look, but the box is considerably quieter than the previous one and working great! Ill get new pics up after I finish the new side covers and cooling fan for the motor! Im hoping all goes well and I can release the system for sale soon!
1) Any idea if you're going to sell these with an ETA for sale date? Cost?

2) I see your work schedule & other project is causing delays but want to know if this is still a high priority project for selling this? Thanks. :)

3) Have you got anyone else testing this prototype or test product?

Unfortunately no, there was just too much time involved to produce these without mass production or very high price. I would be willing to build them on a per customer basis but the price would a bit steep. My figuring showed even getting only a small dollar per hour figure for my time I would have to charge $500 per box for the box alone. If anyone is interested ill be happy to build a few but I scrapped the idea in any quantity due to the high cost and higher noise of the RC motor itself. I asked around the general public and I felt they would not sell due to these issues. My new design using the MAC motor re -purppsed as a mid drive will offer better reliability, ultra quiet operation and more power than this RC motor was capable of sustaining for long periods due to the much larger motor mass.

Hmmm, looks like the mac motor may be the way to go, any ideas what one you will use? Have you heard anything about the 6374-170 motors, I talked to a sales rep and they are not being stocked within the next 3 months, and have not been in stock for at least the past 3 months. I was thinking the 8085-170 as that can be back ordered still, you know of any other suitable replacements? The new 6374 range suck...

It's unfortunate that you don't think you can do the box's cheaply, but hey...

Back