Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

teklektik said:
Look guys - this is a thread about CA beta software, not your personal economic views.
Please take it someplace else along with the silly 'commentary' giant images that have nothing to do with the thread topic.

Sorry. Couldn't delete my posts so just replaced the content to unclutter.

Thanks izeman-
Ya - that appears to be the pot mount made by Reinhard Mueller (ES moniker: electricwheels.de) over at e-bike-technologies.de (formerly cycle-analyst.de).
He's a pretty big CA reseller in EU and used to make a bunch of CA add-ons, but is shifting focus to also embrace other products. He has a BBS/CA integration kit he worked up and used to sell some cool little add-on CA dashboards, but those seem to have been discontinued.

CA-DE_6035-S3-L3-P_AP-15_black_TN.jpg

teklektik said:
Thanks izeman-
Ya - that appears to be the pot mount made by Reinhard Mueller (ES moniker: electricwheels.de) over at e-bike-technologies.de (formerly cycle-analyst.de).
He's a pretty big CA reseller in EU and used to make a bunch of CA add-ons, but is shifting focus to also embrace other products. He has a BBS/CA integration kit he worked up and used to sell some cool little add-on CA dashboards, but those seem to have been discontinued.

i own such CA with that dashboard :D
do you know why he discontinued those?

Hello,
An update to a previous problem I asked about.
I have been unable to get the time at the moment to hook up my throttle direct to the controller.
However, I did reprogram to disable the PID and the problem has now 99.9% gone.
Before, if I tried to accelerate by throttle from standstill, then the motor would just make a grinding noise and really struggle to get moving, but as soon as I was up to walking pace (4kph) or if I pedaled and then throttled, then everything was smooth.
With the settings in the manual uploaded, the problem is gone and even on one of my presets which is current control it has gone.
So I guess I just have to learn how to set the CA up properly.

John

I've been using 3.1b4 on both of my e-bikes and although I have not been using the digital auxiliary capability, I have noticed no new bugs or unexpected behavior.

I do have a couple of feature requests:

1) When instantaneous wh/mi is displayed in the rotating display field, show the correct calculated figure when in regen mode, when current is negative, instead of dashes, "--". This means that a negative sign should be placed before the number.

2) When current motor temperature is not part of the rotating display field, show it on the diagnostic screen, perhaps alternating with voltage or speed, since space is already tight on that screen.

Thanks.

It lives!

[youtube]V43KzKqXqQQ[/youtube]

I'm using a CW Industries Mom-Off-Mom DPDT rocker switch in the original 3-position AUX switch holder from Grin. It's this particular unit - https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/cw-industries/GRS-4023C-1300/SW311-ND/81509 .

did probably hit a bug? my controller shunt is at 0.68 but when i try to set my ca v3 with latest 3.1 preview it jumps to 0.7xx and wont keep the 0.68 no matter what i do

Santacruz said:
...the problem is gone and even on one of my presets which is current control it has gone.
Great news!
Ya - the V3 can be a bit stubborn at times, but it looks like you've gotten it under control.
Thanks for posting back about the resolution. :D

irq said:
my controller shunt is at 0.68 but when i try to set my ca v3 with latest 3.1 preview it jumps to 0.7xx and wont keep the 0.68 no matter what i do
Your shunt value is too low for the Lo Range current setting - you need to switch to the Hi Range.
Please see section "4.5.1 Configure Current Range and Shunt" of the Guide.

mrbill said:
I have noticed no new bugs or unexpected behavior.
Thanks for the test results - good news! :)

mrbill said:
I do have a couple of feature requests:

1) When instantaneous wh/mi is displayed in the rotating display field, show the correct calculated figure when in regen mode, when current is negative, instead of dashes, "--".
  • Yep - J picked up on that in b4 tests, but we wanted to get b4 out -- it's already fixed in b5.
    The no-regen positive-only implementation was a little short-sighted (can you tell I ride with gear motors?).
mrbill said:
2) When current motor temperature is not part of the rotating display field, show it on the diagnostic screen, perhaps alternating with voltage or speed, since space is already tight on that screen.
  • Yes - it has always bothered me that that temp did not have some display screen where it was displayed as a matter of course. I'll put your thoughts on the list. Thanks!

lightrush said:
It lives!
Thanks for the vid - a nice tidy demo.
It's really very cool to see this working in the field.

We've tweaked up the button response a bit in b5, so it should work even better very shortly.

(And for those dropping in late, here's a link back to lightrush's wiring for the switch >> here << )

teklektik said:
lightrush said:
It lives!
Thanks for the vid - a nice tidy demo.
It's really very cool to see this working in the field.

So I noticed a small problem with the new behaviour on my first work commute with it. When the first level is selected - that is PAS Level 0.00X in my case - if I pedal after releasing the throttle the motor spins up and then spins down applying little to no actual power to the wheels. Here's the reproduction:

1. Use only throttle to move for some distance (e.g. 20-30m) at some speed (e.g. 20kph). Do not pedal.
2. Release the throttle while moving.
3. Pedal for several revolutions.

Expected:
Nothing happens.

Actually:
Motor spins up as if to engage PAS, then spins down as if I stopped pedaling.
Continuing to pedal more than several revolutions does not keep the motor from spinning down.
Pedaling again after the motor spins down does not spin it up again.

I'm using a Thun BB in Torq PAS mode. My PAS->StrtThrsh is 3RPM and Trq->AsstAvg is 8. The latter may be a mistake but I think it's a mistake that existed on my 3.1b3 setup as well. I'm going to try to reproduce it with PAS->StrtThrsh 10 and Trq->AsstAvg 16.

This doesn't really pose any significant issue so far so it could be filed into the nuisance folder rather than a problem, but I think it's a regression from 3.1b3.

Hmmm...
This needs a look, but I believe you are correct that this is likely an inherited behavior distinct from the DigiAux feature. Anyhow, we'll try to reproduce and get after it.
Your test results at higher start/stop thresholds would be interesting...
Thanks!

Edit - Ah - I see. Regression. You were saying b3 didn't do this.... Okay, got it...

Yes. And I just managed to reproduce it on my way to lunch with PAS->StrtThrsh 10 and Trq->AsstAvg 16. If I were looking for a cause, I'd look at the assist factor calculation. For example whether 0.00X set by the aux is actually 0.00 and not say 0.0001. Maybe the digital aux does not divide the same way as the old method and the assist factor ends up being non-zero but close to zero. I'm just guessing here. You know the code base. :D

Okay - thanks for the results.

We just had a discussion about this and have a couple of ideas - before grinding through the PAS code. In theory, the digital code should be directly re-using the pre-existing analog code, so this is a bit of a head-scratcher.

PAS integration is of particular interest to Grin, so this matter is an attention-getter. We have one major tinker left on b5 and don't want to delay that release, so we'll be getting this issue sorted straightaway in b6.

I was wondering if you could test this using analog Aux (w/digital Aux disabled) by either using a pot or just shorting the AuxPot to Gnd with MinAuxIn = (0.1). No worries at all if this is not doable... :D

teklektik said:
I was wondering if you could test this using analog Aux (w/digital Aux disabled) by either using a pot or just shorting the AuxPot to Gnd with MinAuxIn = (0.1). No worries at all if this is not doable... :D

Wouldn't pressing the UP button in the momentary rocker implementation short the Aux with Gnd? If so, I can just use the rocker to simulate analog aux zero (with MinAuxIn set to 0.1 and digital aux disabled), no? If so, do you want me to test that on 3.1b4 or 3.1b3 or both?

lightrush said:
Wouldn't pressing the UP button in the momentary rocker implementation short the Aux with Gnd? If so, I can just use the rocker to simulate analog aux zero (with MinAuxIn set to 0.1 and digital aux disabled), no? If so, do you want me to test that on 3.1b4 or 3.1b3 or both?
Ya - that would do it - you just have to hold it that way if in AuxA mode - a bit of a PITA.

b4 is the point of immediate interest to better define the scope of the b4 failure, but if you have time to do b3 to help determine if this is an existing or new issue, that would be super.

We have a little bit of a snafu just now for road testing this on a torque PAS setup because of the way all the different bike hardwares are configured, so your tests on a system known to evidence the problem can speed things along. The b5 mod mentioned above is just starting now, so if you want to pursue this testing but can't get to it for a few days, that would be just fine - 'hands full' at this end and all that....

So I tested it with UP pressed the whole time and it's NOT reproducible with analog aux. This is on 3.1b4 so I don't think I need to test 3.1b3.

Agreed.
This pretty much fingers some nuance of the new digital code. This is very good news since those alterations are very localized in the PAS arena.

Thanks very much for the testing - getting this clearer handle on the issue is a huge assist.
:D

madin88 said:
teklektik said:
Thanks izeman-

i own such CA with that dashboard :D
do you know why he discontinued those?

Reason: $$

Hi all,

they were simply too expensive to make, but some parts do still exist. Might do a selloff some day...

Currently we are testing a new CA centremount for e-MTB's and working on some analog/digital poti hardware.
And a Bionic Throttle device :mrgreen:

CA3-CM_centre_mount_for_cycle_analyst_V2_V3.JPG

A page or so back, larghio posted about an interesting Wuxing DK11 2-button assembly:

larghio said:
Bought dual wuxing buttons, they seem like a good fit for auxd mod http://m.ebay.com/itm/272009885557
This seemed pretty cool, if a bit pricey compared to the ubiquitous 3-position switch -- I ordered one up and it showed up yesterday.

This is a pretty nice piece - switches seem pretty good quality and with a good feel for a 'no tactile snap' type button. Lots of room for a few parts and the cable can easily be repositioned to the bottom or wherever depending on how the orientation ends up (you probably want the deep molded side facing forwards so water doesn't get blasted in).

Hard to judge the weatherproofing situation, but it shouldn't differ much from that of the classic three-position switch. A spray of conformal coating on exposed switch and part connections is probably a good plan - or a quick paint with clear nail polish from the drug store.

The bar width is 16mm - a little on the thick side but not too bad - sort of depends on your brake lever length, etc.

wuxing_DK11.jpg

Mine is mounted on my commuter and working great :)

Back