• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

DIY electric motors

Interesting link, Dean, thanks.

Well, I did not manage to cope with the heating of my homebrew ESC at power levels above 500 Watt so i decided to switch to a
3phase motor design. This actually results in a motor even easier to build since you do not have to think about the right
position for sensors etc. My latest design uses 25mm diam magnets, 2x12 wit 9 30mm electromagnets coils in the stator. 31mOhm/pase. This 1.5kg motor can propel me up to 50km/h.
Funny thing: i tested a similar motor with crystalytes 72V 20A pedal first controller and it actually works. But it seems as if i get better efficiency with RC-ESC.
Funny thing no 2: for 30$ you can by a "super simple" 100A 30V controller from "hobbycity" which is actually cheaper than building my own.... and that controller in combination with my latest motor gives me a cruising speed of 35km/h with the NiMh in a 24volt setup.

My best efficiency levels at this point is 15.5Wh km @30km/h. Not to bad considering my friction wheel drive.

/Axel

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=14389
thats a thing of beauty . is this the 1.5kg thats pushing you up to 50kph ?

be perfect for me to get my oldest into . he can take the friction drive from bike to bike as he gets bigger and keep working it over to get more power . i love it.

boy howdy i see a potential market for you to assemble a diy kit with instructions and and maybe some key components for those with out a drill press .
market it to schools and clubs i bet you make some $. may not get rich but doin what ya like has more to offer than $

I am very weak when it comes to electronics, so forgive me if I'm putting my proverbial foot in my mouth. The optical sensors sound intriguing, and you mention that they are inexpensive. Hall sensors have proven to be fairly reliable, but sometimes they have been overheated, or have been damaged by getting them wet.

I am vaguely familiar with the Mallory Unilite distributor. It had a plastic cup with 8 slots in it. I was told as a slot passes over an LED light, the light then passes through and hits a photo-sensor. It takes the place of points in older classic cars. Once set, they never wear out, need adjustment, and are impervious to wet conditions (kids today don't remember having to take off a distributor cap and dry it).

I also recall optical tachs for turbines of various types. A section of the spinning parts was painted a flat black, and a small strip of reflective tape was attached. Each time the reflective tape passed by the LED, light was reflected onto the opto-sensor.

Since the photo-sensor isn't getting a signal from a rotor magnet, it doesn't have to be any particular place inside the hub. If the hub is big enough (like a 9C/GM-Pie) it would seem there is lots of leeway in the opto-sensors location placement, allowing it to never come close to being overheated. I would further guess that the light source/opto-sensor/electronics can be potted under a thin window to completely eliminate any potential wet damage.

If my assumptions are correct, an expensive opto-sensor would be a desireable hot-rod E-bike feature, but the fact that they are reported to be affordable means they should become popular once easy-to-follow guides are published?

spinningmagnets said:
opto-sensor would be a desireable hot-rod E-bike feature,
http://www.simplemotor.com/oimotor.htm

this should change ur mind.
it's how Tidalforce does it.

TFHub30001.jpg

hy axbor

Would you post the plans for your "pancake sandwich " ,at the link : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14134&start=135
we are trying to make a motor like this . So i am the first one to ask(but probably alot of us want to ask this) : If you will not sell this motor
or use it in any other way : you could post the plans and a lot of people would try to make it. it would be like lrk- site-forum - except axial.
then we could all post progress here?
Anyway just an idea , thanks

i could be wrong markobetti but i think he is working his way through his next masterpiece and documenting the build this time . From the little exchange i had with him on uboob id say hes the type that takes his time and will share when hes got something he feels worthy. patience is a bitch.

I will be helping him with some translation related work on his paper to get the English in clear words, and then he will release his DIY axial build paper. Patience :)

wow ..great ... GUYS, YOU JUST HAVE TO AGREE ON THIS ONE: THERES NO PLACE LIKE ENDLESS SPHERE :)

Hi,
Project status:
I’m still waiting for Luke, liveforphysics, to get back to me with a corrected building instruction text. However,
I seem to have lost contact with him, he does not respond to the e-mails I send him.
I have made some progress though.
I have now rendered the final “exploded view” pictures and made technical drawing as well.
The layout is almost complete. Not long now until the first test print.

/Axel

axbor22 said:
Hi,
Project status:
I’m still waiting for Luke, liveforphysics, to get back to me with a corrected building instruction text. However,
I seem to have lost contact with him, he does not respond to the e-mails I send him.
I have made some progress though.
I have now rendered the final “exploded view” pictures and made technical drawing as well.
The layout is almost complete. Not long now until the first test print.

/Axel

probably because luke is busy filing a patent with your design and your excellent "exploded view" drawing. j/k :lol:

Here is another site that gives info on building a 3 phase stator for wind turbines. I know those generators could be used as motors, they have motored them during demonstrations before.

Anyway they have a lot of examples to read through and years of experience putting them together to last years in the elements

http://www.otherpower.com/turbineplans.shtml

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.shtml

forgot to add, that they dont have info on motor controllers

Come on people, the guy made a DIY. book with neat ,impressive motor. Why nobody except me doesn't congratulate him ????

That is true, I will never get around to doing anything like this. Good job Axel, for leading the way for many others. I hope you find many more tricks to help the slow-pokes like me out.

I recived Axels book. Its everything i wanted with really good DIY explanations, i love it. Axel , the only minor thing that i would suggest is to have templates for the guys who buy this in computer format . dxf , cdr, ai or any vector template. The last pages with templates need to be scanned and than printed on a3 or a1 paper for preparation of making the motor ...But its okay that way... Congratulations on your success once again ! :): :):):):)

Hi Axel ! I bought your books 500w DIY brushless electric motor, and Build your own Electric motor. I was hoping you could share with me some of the technical sources that helped you get the knowledge of axial flux machines that you have. Great accomplishment!

Back