Do you care about pedaling?

Jackrabbit said:
I would like to be able to pedal along at higher speeds so I'm thinking of fitting a Schlumpf high speed drive.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/patterson165-b.html
$375.00 USD
Patterson 2 Speed Crankset modified with a 12 Pole PAS sensor on the left crank, and a larger 39T chainring and CNC machined chain guard on the right. This gives the equivalent of a 62T front chainring size in the high gear, allowing you to keep a reasonable pedal cadence even at very high travel speeds, perfect for fast ebikes or bike builds with small 20" rear wheels. The chainring freewheels as well, making it useful in custom mid-drive projects too.

This pedaling thing came in quite handy today when my bike died. (I suspect it's a dead hall sensor). I usually don't get much use of the 1:1 gear of my Patterson, but I needed it bad this morning.

I thought while building my bike, that I would pedal less than I do. It, s 100bs, and recumbent, so I figured it would be a bugger on hills etc. I find I, m often peddling with no thought of using ghe motor. I got 13wh/mi yesterday, and 32wh/mi when I started out, a week or two ago. I have a 3spd hub, as a jackshaft, which alllows me to peddle comfortably, from 0 -30+ mph.I tend to peddle along, using 2-300w when I need a boost, and saving the juice for hills. I have 5 speeds I can use on the cassette, 14-28t . The 3speed give me gearing equivalent to a 30,42,55t front chainring set. I can change any aspect of the gearing very easily with a sprocket change, or two. I can, t just sit, and I can, t afford anymore battery, so I must peddle to get where I want to go. I only weigh 135lbs and am in terrible shape, so someone fit (as I ambecoming) could really put some miles on this thing. It is very comfortable. Like the other fellow said, if it, s got peddles...

Toshi said:
Even with a two speed crankset as equipped, pedaling is purely superfluous on a bike like that. Many builds seem to try to emulate (or exceed) this bike's performance for less money. I can relate to that, but these are essentially slow motorcycles with pedals at a high price, IMO.

ummm... when was ~100kph called slow? :lol:

i love air-pedaling. chain went to the trash when i converted the bike.

i make sure it looks like im putting lots of effort in, when i take off at the lights 8)

I absolutely care about pedaling. Which is why I so strongly prefer crank/mid-drives with the motor closely matched to the human pedal cadence range.

And then to add what I consider a complete category all to itself, there is such a thing as a:
Pedal-Cycle With Hill Helper Only Electric Assist:

Definition = Normal Human Pedal Powered Cycle equipped with a secondary drive consisting of an electric motor with a fixed extremely low gearing to the drive wheel such that the electric drive is very slow, but also very strong high torque. Normally you can easily pedal way faster then the electric motor drive and thus it is normally useless and just extra weight to haul around. But when it comes time to climb that big hill that slows you way down to the point where you think about getting off and walking the bike up the hill. Then you are really happy you have been hauling its extra weight around and can push the button or throw the switch and crank yourself up that hill like a winch.

I have built a couple such builds which I consider the ultimate case of an e-biker that likes to pedal. And when well done such a build can add very little weight and no extra drag to a smooth fun bicycle and give a good 30-min or more of "climb a hill like a winch" capability in a small RC type battery or two that easily fits in one of those ultra-small weight weeny bags that tuck in under and behind the rear of the seat.

Toshi said:
Unless you've only ridden 50 and 125 cc motorcycles, 100 kph is indeed slow.

yeah... I have that problem.
over a decade of riding supersport bikes and open class motorcross bikes makes me expect enough power that either traction (wheelspin) or the center of gravity (wheelie) is the limiting factor in acceleration below 60.

You dont get that with e-anything at the moment.

The other issue with that statement is throttle control. You can give me a CRF50 or a CR500 or a CBR600/1000... big, small, 2stroke hit or 4cyl smooth doesnt matter, I have enough power (throttle) control to wheelie all of them...not powerwheelie, but real balance point wheelie.
You cant easily get that kind of throttle control from a e-bike with the controllers available at the moment. very frustrating because you would think a computer controlled, accurate machine would have MORE control available to the user, not less.

I'm required to have an aerobic workout frequently. Heart issue. I first rode a catrike pocket for 6 years. Then too many skelatal surgeries caused me to motorize. But the lack of suspension made me finally sell it. It took me 2 years to find a deal on a suspended trike. I have a HP Scorpion fs26. Recently motorized. I got some good equipment from Grin Tech. I rationalize the expense by calling this trike my health machine. Different parts of different rides I take dictate the ride and the pedaling. I also use the method of throttling on and off to maintain a speed with pedaling action. I have a 2 speed metropolis which is very helpful. It shifts standing still. That is big when I end up at a stop in the wrong gear. I pedal for my health and I pedal for an honest justification of the cost. And I trike for the grins and my not sore ass.

Due to sciatica, my current pedaling is very soft. Hopefully I'll overcome this crap soon...

Back