Just got back from a test ride. I feel like the modest 7A battery current gain must also scale up the phase current. Since the specs have max phase amps as a multiple of 3 times the battery amps, that would translate to an extra 21A max phase current. So at 67A, that's 201A max phase amps, same as my old PV controller. I rode around for about 10 miles and the bike felt really good, but with all the hard throttle testing, the Leaf definitely was heating up more quickly, hitting 86C on flat ground, but cooling down quickly when off the throttle. Seems to be maxing out a little over 5kW up the hills, so maybe 600W more than before the shunt mod.
I'll probably go out again just to ride around more, then take it back off the bike and attempt to get it up to 80W and see how that feels. On APL's thread, he's peaking at 119A, so I think if I overshoot and go above 80A I shouldn't have an issue. :thumb: I'm not trying to blow up the controller, but am willing to push it more, since I have the stock one if I do.
EDIT: Charged the battery to 81V and went to Popeye's to grab a couple of chicken sandwiches. 6 mile round trip. Even with the mild mod, it's crazy above 80V on throttle (2nd speed on the 3-speed switch); power wheelies at 20 MPH. Power consumption is triple the normal, so probably best to stick with quick errands or short trips when riding like that.
EDIT: 2nd round. I wrapped some strands of copper around the shunts to hold the solder in place while adding it.
Isn't going to win a beauty contest...
Looks like 80A to me, LOL.
I'll mount it on the bike tomorrow morning to see and feel the results.
I couldn't wait, since it's so easy to mount the controller the way the harness is set up. Getting close, and possibly even there. I only took it for a spin, literally around the block, and I tested on a short 1/2 block part of the next street over that's around 15%. I slowed way down near the bottom, then hit the throttle to climb it in an attempt to max out the current. It was noticeably faster climbing than the last round, and my battery was down around 77V, so will be even faster when charged.
I checked the CA when I pulled into the garage, but then remembered that I was still in the middle position on the 3 speed switch, so might be able to pull more current; won't know for sure until tomorrow. Pretty dark out, but my headlights worked great.
If this it the actual limit, then I have one more iteration to go...
Power consumption going around the block was 71Wh/mile. I think I peaked at around 5.8kW, so well under APL's near 9kW.
EDIT 10-08-22 I've confirmed that the limit is now 76A after a few hard launches, so I'll make one more shunt adjustment today. It's odd that I'm getting some bogging on launch, and a sort of motor vibration off the line. Everywhere else it's really strong, but I'm not able to get below 4 sec from 0-30 MPH mainly due to that.
At least it's silent. The buzzy sound is from my tires
It loses close to a second off the line.
Obviously it's not an exact science LOL.
I rode down to the bay to see if I could catch the Blue Angels since it's Fleet Week. There was a thick layer of fog placing a damper on the aerial displays, but I could at least see something above the bank
90A reminds me of going to watch the F1 500cc 2 stroke GP bike races, way back before they stopped 2 stroke racing. Throttling coming out of a curve and the front comes up. I always like riding around these little curves on this path, racing up to the overpass. You can hear my front tire coming down at around 7 seconds since I wasn't expecting the power increase. Same happened going around the hairpin a few curves later.
I don't think I'm going to increase the amps any further. It's performance with 90A feels like a good match for the Leaf motor. I'm going to do two more things to it. First, I'm going to add a temp sensor, just need to figure out the best location. Then I'm going to pot the thing with thermally conductive epoxy and make it waterproof.
I think there would be enough for two controllers.
Thinking of drilling a hole right around here:
EDIT 10-09-22 I tested the soft start switch. Doesn't seem to be soft start. The motor made a grinding noise and spun backwards. I unplugged the jumper and it ran normal. The reverse wires are blue and black, and this was wasn't spinning normal. I ended up setting the CA current limit to 80A and the throttle ramp to 1.3V/sec, like amberwolf mentioned that he was using. That made for a very smooth response and much more manageable off the line, but still produces great response.