DoctorBass's new toy: KMX TYPHOON **UPDATE 29 may 2011**

Hey Dave
Lowracer's trike changes the front "wheelbase" length a bit since his whole front axle set rotates. As far as actually raising the trike, well, that is a major engineering project I would think. Maybe just start with a tall tilter trike?
otherDoc

Thank you Dave for turning me on to Ricky's updated treatise. I used to use his design info when I built and rebuilt my old (now retired) first trike. Way cool stuff. Tilters still seem to be the optimum type of trike and I have seen films from the crazy European racers like Hans Seide and others really getting trounced by low tilting trikes ridden by good riders. There was really no contest and both the Scorpion and the Mad Max as well as the delta trikes like Kettweissel got creamed. I wonder if they banned tilting trikes at the races?
otherDoc

Dave Sloan said:
I have not seen a trike like this but would think that it could be built with an actuator between the lower fork to the back wheel and the bottom frame. Of course a chain tensioner would be a challenge but it would allow immediate adjustment between low and high speed.

If you run a jackshaft at the pivot point of the swingarm, then there's no change in tension during actuations.

docnjoj said:
The suspension is nice and really helps the ride comfort and cornering on rough roads as you can lean and unload the inside front wheel so it floats over bumps. I do have to agree that you really have to lean a lot in hard corners and I have gone over a couple of times. To really corner fast on a trike you need a very low CG like Matt's or Doc's but that brings out other problems like being invisible to cars and to make the suspension work you do need some ground clearance. I raised mine to get better visibility and to see better but it does compromise cornering a bit. I just have to go slower. The ultimate is truly a tilting trike or velo. Drymer anyone?
otherDoc

I cannot go with a leaning trike because I like drifting. You need a flat platform for that. :D

Matt

IF I were ME, I'd build aluminum roll cage so if I tip over I would simply roll all the way over back upright and BAM! Take off again WOT like Batman haha :twisted:

Dee Jay said:
IF I were ME, I'd build aluminum roll cage so if I tip over I would simply roll all the way over back upright and BAM! Take off again WOT like Batman haha :twisted:

That's the idea i had with teh T-Rex style shape :twisted: The look is also really cool.

Doctorbass said:
That's the idea i had with teh T-Rex style shape :twisted: The look is also really cool.
Trikes tilt at a predictable angle. If you build a scale model and video record/playback in slow mo you'll be able see it's very feasible and very necessary for all trikers.

It would be amazing and hilarious if you can pull off a stunt like that! You gotta do it, Doc! :D

Hey Matt
You can 'drift with a suspension trike, you just gotta avoid catching the wheels on curbs and low spots. Ask me how I know this :cry: The tires should be low grip though like the drift cars. I like to slide on dirt when it can go a lot slower! The films of the trike racers I saw had all of them sliding around on asphalt, but the tilters had way higher cornering stability and Seide lost one race when he just went into the corner too fast and flipped his Steintrike. The tilters killed them. I'll see if I can find the videos.
otherDoc

Hey DeeJay
The rollcage is a really good idea. Sort of like an open velo with some protection from the blue hairs in their 75 Buicks who cant see over the wheel!
otherDoc

Here is a trike race but not the one I saw. Check out the tilters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJp4tU4TE4

otherDoc

Honestly, tilting does nothing for a high power rig. I merely makes cornering more efficient.

The only problem with a flat trike is, high G cornering requires hanging on tight!

Matt

Green Machine said:
How do you guys think you would do against a high power 2 wheel ebike in twisty swirvey race?

Or impossible to compare?
The more wheels you have on the ground the better you corrner as a rule! A sports car out corners a sport bike anyday!

Green Machine said:
How do you guys think you would do against a high power 2 wheel ebike in twisty swirvey race?

Or impossible to compare?

interesting question!
i think well made tilting trike would be the winner.

But no suspension recumbent trike against recumbent bike?
Or recumbent trike against upright bike?

If you corner hard on a trike, you only use 2 wheels! :mrgreen:

I will be doing some tests once my projects are finished!

recumpence said:
Honestly, tilting does nothing for a high power rig. I merely makes cornering more efficient.

The only problem with a flat trike is, high G cornering requires hanging on tight!

Matt
Hi Matt
Well I always thought that the tilt allows the lateral C/G to go inside much more effectively than leaning in. That tilt gives your upper body much more support and control in corners like a 2 wheeler. Clearly for racing lower is probably better but as usual the tires are gonna limit your power. It is just that if you are tilting you won't flip off quite as easily to the high side, if I dare call it that. I got to try to find that video of the Steintrike simply flipping over while the tilter sailed on bye! I agree WojTec that 3 wheels chould outcorner 2 and the 2 wheelers kill them on the straights since the power/weight ratio is lower on a 2 wheeler. They are just lighter.
otherDoc

Video of some aceleration tests :mrgreen:

15-18km/h gain per second :twisted:

[youtube]EQPjFrxrHbc[/youtube]

Doc

cant wait to get my kmx cobra going ... :twisted:

Hey Doc whats the top speed on that, looks like your having fun, etrikes are just total blast. :D

Zenon

zenon said:
Hey Doc whats the top speed on that, looks like your having fun, etrikes are just total blast. :D

Zenon

My current top speed on GPS os about 78km/h off the charger and drop quickly to 71km/h for 80% of the state of charge on the battery

The problem i have now is that i have not enough grip!!.. the tire just burn and lack of grip... but i also dont want to add weight to the rear to keep it stable .. so i must find a real slick tire... maybe one of those chopper 20" x 3.00 tire... or a scooter tire... that would be perfect for drifting!! and they would last longer than bicycle tire!

Hey doc i found a realy nice 2.25" x 16 scooter tire i will send you a pic and link later.

Arlo1 said:
Hey doc i found a realy nice 2.25" x 16 scooter tire i will send you a pic and link later.

Please share with us all :shock: :wink:

Here you go. http://www.aftermarketcyclepartsnation.com/Shinko-MOPED-TIRES-detail.htm?productId=10835918&ez=Tires~q=tidaa1484zz~r=isidaa8zz~

Attachments

• 008_renamed_32209.jpg
    008_renamed_32209.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,748
  • 001_renamed_30724.jpg
    001_renamed_30724.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,748
Arlo1 said:
Here you go. http://www.aftermarketcyclepartsnation.com/Shinko-MOPED-TIRES-detail.htm?productId=10835918&ez=Tires~q=tidaa1484zz~r=isidaa8zz~

Thanks Arlo! I just bought two of these :wink:

Doc

Back