DoctorBass's new toy: KMX TYPHOON **UPDATE 29 may 2011**

knoxie said:
Whats the latest then DOC? any video of this amazing trike?

Video will be posted soon. Weather is really bad here... Rain and rain and rain for several days :x

Today i need to go to Kingsey falls to record a short 30sec clip with the chanel 43 ( ztele) for anouncing the next green vehicule meet on 5 june where i'll tow another schoolbus with the mongoose . This will be a part of the event on 5 june.

So mant things to do.. so short time to do everything! :?

My trike is ready and i'm impatient to retest it again!.

Dont worrie, i'll post any next updates :mrgreen:

Doc

Cool!

I just relaced my front wheels with 13 guage spokes. The stock 14 guage kept popping from high cornering and braking loads. :)

These things are much different than an upright, two wheeled bike. They are much more car than bike.

Oh, I stock 43mm wide 16 inch front rims for these KMX Typhoons. I had them made custom for me. If you want, I can ship you a pair. PM me if you want pricing. Also, I would suggest 13 guage spokes, from personal experience. They are 117mm long. You will eventually want to move up to them anyway.

Matt

Cool DOC! looking forward to the video when you get the time! shame the weather has gone bad for you, its the same here we had it nice for a few weeks but its turned pretty chilly again. Also be great to see some video of your trike as well Matt, maybe some on board footage, you got a POV camera of any kind? I am a video junkie :twisted:

Update:22 may 2011

18 fets controller repaired for the XX time... :roll: ... again... now it is working.. the pcb traces holes begin to have some sing of age!... another set of 3 fets spent into that controller :lol:

I finally decided to convert the 5302 to a 5304 to make like be easier for the controller!!

At 100A battery current, from a dead start it' 350A phase current according to the simulator software with the 5302!! :shock:

Now with the mod it will be 200A... and i'll have some gain on acceleration from a dead start

a 5302 on 20" and 100A batt current = 700 Newton of thrust ( 157 pounds of trust)

a 5304 on 20" and 100A batt current = 850 Newton of thrust ( 190 pounds of trust)... a gain of 33 pounds thrust and a reduction of the controlelr STRESS that is not negligeable.

The only cons of that is that the powerband will be reduced alot.... the top speed with 5302 is 112km/h and with the 5304 it's 73km/h.. but at that speed it's enough for me on a E-trike!

The most realistic simulation 0-40mph is 4.5 sec
and the 0-100m is 7.2sec

ONce my 36 fets controller will be finally terminated, i might convert it back to 5302... but from now.. I just want to have some fun WITHOUT bothering with WILL IT BLOW?? :x

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG !!!! :shock:

.... 8)

:mrgreen:

I just come from a 600Wh ride with the new repaired controlelr and the mod from 5302 to 5304.. and... and... :twisted: :twisted:

That is just unbeliveable!!! :twisted: :twisted:

The torque ...the TORQUE !!!... ... so much toque than i wonder if the front of the trike could lift during acceleration!!!

if there is a miracle, and we dont have rain tomorrow, i'll make some test with the GPS and G force meter

Doc

and a helmet cam!
we expect to see the sky and sun right at the start ;)

Doctorbass said:

.... 8)

I just come from a 600Wh ride with the new repaired controlelr and the mod from 5302 to 5304.. and... and... :twisted: :twisted:

The torque ...the TORQUE !!!... ... so much toque than i wonder if the front of the trike could lift during acceleration!!!

if there is a miracle, and we dont have rain tomorrow, i'll make some test with the GPS and G force meter

Doc

wojtek said:
and a helmet cam!
we expect to see the sky and sun right at the start ;)

Doctorbass said:

.... 8)

Doc

Soon my friend... SOON !! :wink:

once the rain will stop.. i'll put a nice camera onboard

Doc

It is truly amazing what you can do with one of these trikes.

Wait till you get into the handling and brakes. It really becomes addictive. I have, what I feel is, the perfect balance between outright craziness, and daily drivable. 9kw is just enough to keep from losing traction and I wind out at 40mph. That seems perfect for this style vehicle.

I am looking forward to seeing some chassis upgrades to see how you like it.

Matt

I made another ride today.. probably spent 1600Wh..

Top speed simulated with the swblutoo is 4.5sec for the 0-42mph... and it is pretty close i think!!

I reprogrammemd the controler wih 150A phase current today.. and... :shock: :shock: I need to replace my tire!!! too easy to slip that tire eventhough i have 80 pounds of sorce on the wheel when i'm on the trike!!!

The weight is really good ( 80 rear sheel and 85 on each front wheel including my weight) for a total of 250 pounds

What i found is that when i brake with the rear wheel during high speed, it tend to slide on the side and push the trike to make a 180 degree is i dont maintain the straight direction with the front wheels.. just like if the weight of the hub motor want to go to the front of the trike...

I activated the regen and it can push up to 1.5kW.. but the wear wheel can slide easy and i must correct the directin with the steering to compensate..

I might reduce the regen from HIGH to medium or low to keep beter control

At full charge the no load speed is 88km/h and on the road it is 75kmh.

Curiously, at 75kmh.. it feel safe... i mean.. it's like if as fast as i go with the trike as stabble it become!!.. just like if the rotation of the 3 wheel with the centrifugial force would keep the trike in the right straight direction...

in sumarry, NEVER brake with the rear wheel at speed over 30kmh.... it will make the trike to do a 180 degree and i need to compensate the steering to keep the trike from turning...

Thsi motor is like the 05 .. EXACTLY... except it is a bit faster... I mean.. the hill wont really affect his top speed!.. falt or hill.. the speed is really close!

Doc

Your acceleration numbers look correct. When I read my data logger, it shows just under 4.5 seconds to 40mph. That is just at the edge of traction (I have my slipper clutch dialed in to just eliminate the wheelspin). I also weigh 250 pounds with the trike. So, our numbers are very close. I bet you have more brutal "Hit" when you get on the throttle, though.

Matt

Doc

Dont even bother with the back brake, uprate your front brakes to cope, IMHO rear brakes on trikes are a no no, took mine off.

Cmon get the video sorted Doc :twisted:

The first thing I did with my Cobra was to remove the rear brake and replaced the brake levers with standard levers each controlling the left and right front brakes individually. Gives you turning brakes (And amazing fun on wet surfaces) and it would seem the dual pull lever would require constant tweaking for even braking.

Have fun!!

Greenerwheels

knoxie said:
Doc

Dont even bother with the back brake, uprate your front brakes to cope, IMHO rear brakes on trikes are a no no, took mine off.

He is talking about regen which is nice to help save some extra batteries!

knoxie said:
Doc

absolutely agree with knoxie, regen in the back and big disks in the front are the way to go, my tadpole is a bit heftier, (bout 320lbs with me on it) so im experimenting with a set of gator brake 6-piston calipers mixed with the tubing kit from a set of Magura BIG twin brakes, which are normally designed for rickshaws and pedicabs, hydraulics are always perfectly even on left-right braking force as long as the rotors are the same. heres a link to the magura brakes:

http://www.pedicabshop.com/blog/perfect-twin-disc-brakes-big-magura-twin.html

Yeah.. nice idea about stronger front brakes!

All my other ebikes are equiped with hydraulic 8" 210mm brakes and it work really well.

I see that i'll have a big batch of 6" disk for sale really son :lol:

Doc

Did you ever saw a T-Rex Campagna trike motorcycle?

When i see my KMX, i can't stop thinking about a NO DUCT TAPE body upgrade 8)

This is a quick drawing of what i'd like to try with that KMX

I would love to know someone that is better artist than me and that would sketch that with better quality and shadows etc..than my MS paint "artist" application... Feel free to make your own with the basic file i join to that thread :wink:

What do you think?

Doc

Attachments

• KMX to T-Rex_800x532.JPG
    KMX to T-Rex_800x532.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,487
  • typhoon basic small.JPG
    typhoon basic small.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,487
great brakes!

but i am wondering if it is not more fun to have right and left front brakes independent, especially for off-road fun?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Farfle said:
knoxie said:
Doc

absolutely agree with knoxie, regen in the back and big disks in the front are the way to go, my tadpole is a bit heftier, (bout 320lbs with me on it) so im experimenting with a set of gator brake 6-piston calipers mixed with the tubing kit from a set of Magura BIG twin brakes, which are normally designed for rickshaws and pedicabs, hydraulics are always perfectly even on left-right braking force as long as the rotors are the same. heres a link to the magura brakes:

http://www.pedicabshop.com/blog/perfect-twin-disc-brakes-big-magura-twin.html

29 mai 2011

MORE CONFORT !!

40R 25F

That's the best match i had!!

Yeah.... 40psi REAR... 25psi Front! At 32km/h wich is the legal speed limit, it draw 320Watts for around 12Wh/km avg

The ride is ALOT more confortable and appreciable! :mrgreen: than when i had 55R 45F :?

I also set the max phase amp to 185A and bat curent to 75A I can see continuous acceleration with 8500 to 9000W.

Doc

Those numbers look really really close to what I am seeing. I bet you are very happy at this point.

I have found 9kw is about perfect for these things. Any more gets to be a bit much and any less is, less. :wink:

Matt

recumpence said:
Those numbers look really really close to what I am seeing. I bet you are very happy at this point.

I have found 9kw is about perfect for these things. Any more gets to be a bit much and any less is, less. :wink:

Matt
9kw though the motors you run Matt will proly be a lot more power to the rear wheel then a hub motor!

Arlo1 said:
recumpence said:

Matt
9kw though the motors you run Matt will proly be a lot more power to the rear wheel then a hub motor!

Maybe.. but we both get pretty the same acceleration from 0-60kmh of about 3.5sec

Doc

Astro 3220 claims to have 94% efficiency? i think Crystalyte's lower.
But i am not sure the difference in power and speed is A LOT bigger with RC setup

I run BMC c2s and turnigy RC motor- at 800-900W on both i actually get similar speed.

Doctorbass said:
Arlo1 said:
recumpence said:

Matt

Maybe.. but we both get pretty the same acceleration from 0-60kmh of about 3.5sec

Doc

Back