Dogmans 6x10 trials dirtbike.

dogman said:
Knew I shoulda got around to bracing that rear seatpost rack. :oops:
Yowch--that musta been a heckuva surprise. Hope the landing didn't hurt too much. :(

I tend to ride that bike trials style, standing pinching the seat between the thighs, so I can steer the rear wheel as well as the front. So no damage to dangleing parts. :D When it went, it was a complete suprise though. Worst of all, dirt riding is over for the weekend, on sat morning. :cry: Back to pedaling today, soon as it gets light enough to see.

Any updates with the 20S lipo pack dogman ?
I'm keen to see how the 6x10 goes at higher voltage.
I'd bump the current up to 50 odd amps too, but that's just me :p

I'm stymied by my controller. Something is mis programed inside and I can't get the program to fix it to boot up on my computer. I may have to send it to Lyen to have him fix it.

But the trailis I ride, 48v is more than enough, and more would be illegal on the BLM land trails. 72v would be pretty fun on some dirt roads, but maybe on a better bike. Just how much do you want to trust a $200 bikes frame?

I'm working on a mongoose model with 72 volt 20 amp hour headways as we speak. Gonna prolly call it "STRIKER" as in lightening. 8) Hopefully you have a spare controller. Good luck! Thanks again for the clues to posting pictures. Just need to take the time to learn and try to do it. :roll:

dogman said:
I'm stymied by my controller. Something is mis programed inside and I can't get the program to fix it to boot up on my computer.
What happens when trying to run the program, and which version of Windows is your computer running?

That's just it. I haven't tried or learned to do it yet. Was given instructions by Dogman. Windows XP Pro program is what I use. Just need to bite the bullet and attemp to post pictures. I am just thinking it will take hours to get it to work...

Hi Dogman,
I dont know why I have missed this thread I have only just skimmed through it and I see your thinking about the idea of a nicly setup trials bike. I dont know if you now that this is what I am after. I dont know if you have ever rode trials/ or have any experience of riding trials but you really need in the region of 10-20mph of wheel speed to be able to launch the bike even over smaller stuff. My e-cycle trials rc setup has all the power needed do to some pretty big stuff but it is very difficult to move the bike around when you have no peg pressure input. I have removed the pedals from my bike and now fitted pegs ( big improvement ) but now have hit another problem I cant do big stuff on it because of the lack of rear suspension :( . So now I have just bought a gasgas txt frame ( I have been trying to make a custom frame, but this pre built frame came along at the right price :wink: ). Im hoping that the completed bike can still perform like my e-cycle and I will be a very happy bunny and there will be much video of me falling off of it :mrgreen: .

EDIT:

GASGAS Frame :D

I'm not expecting anything like the performance of the Suzuki 250 trials bike I once had. To really get that I think you'd need better than just a hubmotor. But this one might be pretty nice at higher volts. But real trials riding would likely snap this frame in half.

Near my house on land that was going to get bulldozed till the economy crapped, I have built about 6 miles of singletrack trail. I made it deliberately twisty and hard to ride so motorcycles and quads would hate it and stay off. I like to ride it about 5-10 mph, trials style, and have yet to make it all six miles without putting a foot down. On other local BLM trails, a real trials bike would have enough power to be illegal to ride on them. They are fun though, at this bikes top speed of 20 mph. Like all things ebike, this is a compromise between legality and capability. Most likely I'll stick to 48v so I can ride any trail for the near future.

Just got a hemet cam, hopefully some better vids later with a tighter helmet. But here is a glimpse of the trails I built last winter near my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOaTzvA0vI

Scorpions in the dang house all the time, but out in the desert they aren't much problem on that trail. The local BLM trails in the Dona Anna mts are another story. But the rattlers up there seem to really prefer a favorite rock climbing cliff, and I haven't seen any on the trails. People murder those rattlers on sight, and have been doing that for a few centuries.

I do see lots of wildlife on that trail I built though. Tons of rabbits and quail, occasionally a coyote. The trail system is 4 trails that radiate out on the ridgetops from an abandoned stock tank that holds water in the raniy times, so there is a bit more bunnies there. It's my favorite dog running spot in winter, when it's cool enough to have them chase me on the pedal bike. I made the trails devilishly twisty to discourage use by guys on quads and motorcycles. 10 mph way too slow for them.

I have tried and tried, but never yet made the entire 6 miles without putting a foot down, so it's great trials riding despite the lack of rocks and logs to get over. just the twists and turns are really hard.

Hyena said:
Any updates with the 20S lipo pack dogman ?
I'm keen to see how the 6x10 goes at higher voltage.
I'd bump the current up to 50 odd amps too, but that's just me :p

yeah same if anyone has higher voltage exp please post, I'm getting a 6x10 installed on my evg 26" and mulling over either 48v 20ah or 74v 13ah setup

My 72v controller is on the race bike, and since my 48v controller on the 6x10 keeps it legal to ride on BLM MTB trails, I haven't had much interest in the experiment. I'd need to fabricate torque plates for the bike too. So don't hold your breath.

At 48v lipo, 14s, the bike will do about 21 mph. With ping 48v lifepo4, about 20 mph. Great hill climbing, but it will be a bit slow, about 15 mph on 7% grades.

I would think that at 20s lipo, it would be in the 25-27 mph area. And I bet a 12% grade would be little problem. I bet you'd lose the motors greatest virtue to me though, the ability to climb 10% grades without overheating very fast. No motor is going to stay cool long with 2500-3000 watts pumping into it.

dogman said:
My 72v controller is on the race bike, and since my 48v controller on the 6x10 keeps it legal to ride on BLM MTB trails, I haven't had much interest in the experiment. I'd need to fabricate torque plates for the bike too. So don't hold your breath.

At 48v lipo, 14s, the bike will do about 21 mph. With ping 48v lifepo4, about 20 mph. Great hill climbing, but it will be a bit slow, about 15 mph on 7% grades.

I would think that at 20s lipo, it would be in the 25-27 mph area. And I bet a 12% grade would be little problem. I bet you'd lose the motors greatest virtue to me though, the ability to climb 10% grades without overheating very fast. No motor is going to stay cool long with 2500-3000 watts pumping into it.

See what you mean. Still if i go for 72v I'd still be sticking to 1000 watts or so, just wondering if that that continous sweetspot for the 6x10 is more efficient done with a 72v 13ah pack vs a 48v 20ah. probably apples and oranges. once I get thehub on i'll experiment a bit.

72v x 22 amps is 1584 watts. But the winding of the 6x10 might drop that down just a bit. It has less copper than a 9x7.

Most of the time my CA shows about 20 amps max continuous on a running motor, though a 40 amp spike can happen on an uphill start. And the pingbattery is usually about 50-52v under load, so the CA reading of 1000 watts is about what you'd expect. If your 72v battery is really about 80v, x 18-20 amps, I predict 1400 to 1600 watts while accelerating the 6x10 using a 20 amp controller.

Up the controller to the one I use for 72v ,45 amp, and you will see nearly 3000 watts with 72v.

Back