Drew12345 Trek Fuel (AFT Mid Drive, Gauges)

Cool vids !

What is the efficiency like with those ceramic bearing mid motors? how fast avg speed and how far can you go on your battery pack ?

How does it compare to the hub motor bikes you have ? avg speed and distance ?

Gab said:
Cool vids !

What is the efficiency like with those ceramic bearing mid motors? how fast avg speed and how far can you go on your battery pack ?

How does it compare to the hub motor bikes you have ? avg speed and distance ?

Honestly, don't know about the efficiency of bearings because I don't know what their like without them. My main goal was that they would last a long time. I guess will only tell with time. I will do a test one day comparing the hub motor and mid drive since I have the cycle analogger. There are a lot of variables though so not exactly apples to apples.

My mid drive does seem faster and more efficient because of the gearing though.

Here's a small clip from my ride at Schaeffer Farm Trails. This place is somewhat fast and has a lot of logs. The trail is actually on someone's farm. They got permission to build on it. During Summer, you ride between the corn stalks which is taller than you standing.

On another note, I ordered the GoPro3. Couldn't afford the black or + version but should increase quality. I will be on vacation this week but will most likely have my laptop with me so will probably post some videos.

[youtube]t0j5cUENHaw[/youtube]

Another ride at Blackhill Regional Park. This ride I kept losing stuff. I lost my old gopro on the trail but luckily recovered it. My front fender starting falling out. It fell out 3 times and had to keep going back and looking for it. I then finally just stuffed it in my shirt. I then forgot to plug in my cycle analogger to get stats. I did manage to get some dual camera footage though.

[youtube]IXpyHPkKcJg[/youtube]

I got a few small goodies from IceCube. A couple of mini anl fuse holders and fuses and couple of precharge connectors.

IMG_0984_resized.JPG

Sweet vids mate :) i think i'll have to invest in a gopro next.
Looks like you've got some nice trails out there, have fun!

Did you try changing that throttle setup yet?

Finally got some time to look at the vids :D Very nice :D I was really surprised that there were no other riders on any of the trails :eek: Really nice speed, current and power displays. Looks like they are from a variety of devices. Is the information coming from your CA? Past couple of years I have been doing road bike rides in those areas. I need to get my GNG bike finished...

Thanks dbaker. All stats are gathered from CA via Cycle Analogger. The logger creates a file and then I import that into racerender where I add gauges and point to respective data. I'm going to do a how to video within couple weeks.

Nice to meet another local! Look forward to seeing your gng build.

Drew thanks for all your great forum and video posts, took me ages to go through most of it. You got me very interested in the aft too. Since I'm in Australia I should go through them I guess to make easier.

I have been scared off by mid drives because of the quality and maintenance issues I could see being reported. Gng/cyclone seemed to have a lot. But if these aussies guys have modded everything enough to not require me to have to keep doing more mods I am interested. I was interested in EGO but they look to expensive and I dont want the backpack. I want to stick to the batteries I am using now.

there's only one reason I want mid drive and that is to climb mountains. Do you think you could make a video where you put the camera off the bike and then you climb from a dead stop? I would hate to buy this motor if it will not be able to do the terrain that I bog down on.

As an example, in this video I am recording from the point my bike came to a standstill (still not even half way up the slope). My buddy would have probably made it much higher but lost his line. From this point we both pushed our bikes about a hundred metres.
[youtube]v7XYGQlIcjY[/youtube]

Hey john bosi,
Im running the aft mid drive on a giant glory. It will climb anything, the only thing that would stop it is rider ability and traction. Ive gotten up hills that are so steep you're slipping and sliding just trying to push your bike up without the motor. It has amazed me a few times by getting me up some nearly vertical short climbs that you wouldnt have a hope of getting up pedalling. The ego site claims you can master up to 40% inclines, and its true. That hill in your vid you could cruise up in first gear at 10-15kmh without a problem, or hit it hard and probably get up at 20-30kmh if ya didnt mind draining ya battery quicker. The mid drive bikes handle so much better on hills and trails its amazing.
Sorry to butt into your thread drew!
Cheers,
Jesse

dypsomaniart said:
Hey john bosi,
Im running the aft mid drive on a giant glory. It will climb anything, the only thing that would stop it is rider ability and traction. Ive gotten up hills that are so steep you're slipping and sliding just trying to push your bike up without the motor. It has amazed me a few times by getting me up some nearly vertical short climbs that you wouldnt have a hope of getting up pedalling. The ego site claims you can master up to 40% inclines, and its true. That hill in your vid you could cruise up in first gear at 10-15kmh without a problem, or hit it hard and probably get up at 20-30kmh if ya didnt mind draining ya battery quicker. The mid drive bikes handle so much better on hills and trails its amazing.
Cheers,
Jesse
I peed my pants over this bike

file.php

is it still holding up? hows maintenance?

My original bike I wanted to buy was giant glory - but the dropouts put me off for a hub - now mid drives open up a huge avenue of other bikes again.

love this bike

All ive done maintenance wise is tighten the drive chain and clean and oil like any bike. 300km in and it still hasnt had a single issue or failure, and thats over terrain that would be challenging on a dirtbike, i like technical trails, not all nice smooth bike trails. Very very impressed with the AFT kit.

dypsomaniart said:
Hey john bosi,
Cheers,
Jesse

I don't mind anyone commenting in this thread. In fact, I'm glad you chimed in. I was about to refer John to you since you live in Austrailia also. I know Austrailia is big but maybe you guys are near each other and he can check it out in person. John, I would also talk to Jim at AFT. He is very helpful and will can probably tell you of some others in Austrailia.

John, I can do a video of starting from stop. But I don't have any mountains close by to do a real test. Have an idea what grade the hills you were on? I might be able to find something.

Other than a few dropped chains in the beginning because my motor wasn't aligned right, I haven't had any issues. And if I did, Jim will help you right away. I did move my controller to downtube but that was to protect it from mud but probably fine where it was.

In general, mid drives are excellent for trails. So far, I wouldn't ride anything else on the trails. But you have to be in right gear to make it work. If you end up in wrong gear going up a hill, you will bog down. I'm still trying to figure out how to be in right gear at various moments. So before you hit the hill, you need to gear down. It will take some time getting used to. Basically, what I'm saying is that it is more complicated and more maintenance. Not sure if that will turn you off compared to a hub motor. And there is the noise factor. If you want to be quiet on the trail, it won't be like a hub motor.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the motor and would buy again but did want to mention the items above.

The only other low maintenance option might be 2wd but haven't heard of anyone riding these on the rough stuff but should be fine going up steep hills.

if you can, I would have two bikes: one hub and one mid drive.

Lots of rain this week so working on a few projects:
1. Clean up wiring on this bike
2. Add pre-charge
3. Upgrade my discharge wires from 12g to 10g
4. Add fuse
5. Add sheet of metal under motor to protect it from mud (might not have time this week to get to this)

So step 1 and 2 are done. Here are some pics. I added a bag to stuff all my wires in. This is SKS bag from amazon. I could cut the wires down and re-solder them but too lazy. Note: I moved my controller from under bottom bracket to downtube because it was getting caked in mud. Also, I like to wash my bike and was very difficult where it was at. The other requirement was I need space in top of frame triangle to be open so I can use my bike rack on my car.

Before
IMG_0915_r.JPG

After
IMG_1022_r.JPG

IMG_1013_r.JPG

IMG_1014_r.JPG

Pre-charge
IMG_1017_r.JPG

I notice you carry your bike over water. Is it deep? Or just scared to a few drops getting in the motor?

As for the log that looks scary for the mid drive. if you slip off the side wouldnt the log hit the motor?

nice fun ride vids. And yeah stop being lazy and cut those wires :) took me all day but made my bike look so much better. Once I am sure where my batteries are going I am going to start cutting more...

John Bozi said:
I notice you carry your bike over water. Is it deep? Or just scared to a few drops getting in the motor?
The motor is sealed because it's filled with oil so should be fine riding through streams. I'm not sure about rest of electronics though. Mainly, I just don't like getting motor caked in mud. In fact, I'm going to build a sheet of metal to go under the motor and then will probably ride through it. Some people would just ride through it.

John Bozi said:
As for the log that looks scary for the mid drive. if you slip off the side wouldnt the log hit the motor?
Never thought about that until you said something :shock: I've hit the bottom motor bracket a few times already.

John Bozi said:
nice fun ride vids. And yeah stop being lazy and cut those wires :) took me all day but made my bike look so much better. Once I am sure where my batteries are going I am going to start cutting more...
Thanks and I agree I should cut those wires! Yeah, your bikes looks nice!

Danschutz said:
Amazing thread you've started! Although I flip flop between wanting a mid drive or dd this thread certainly has me convinced on the mid. I should have looked before responding but where did you buy your kit from?

Kudos to you!
Dan L.

Thank you. You can find direct link in this thread and also did a video with detailed overview of motor.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=56609

Haven't posted for a few weeks here. Been busy with work. Also been busy creating another youtube channel and copied most of my videos over there. It's still in the works but will start using new one instead. I'll keep the other one up though but just not updating it.

Still been riding though. Here are a couple of vids.

[youtube]ejRTk7RXmFI[/youtube]

[youtube]8J2hWngBTbA[/youtube]

Offroad Night Ride Video. I had two of my old magic shine lights going. And for the first time, my motor cut off (not in video). It was towards end of my ride though. I felt the motor and was really hot. I was actually shocked because it was a night ride and temperature was much cooler (around 70f/21c). It was working again after 5 minutes and rode home at easy pace. Glad it has internal temp cutoff. I might have melted the motor.

[youtube]yE7BiSSQ5g8[/youtube]

Back