Drew12345 Trek Fuel (AFT Mid Drive, Gauges)

I made a slight mod to my drivetrain. This involved taking my motor chain off. I used the quick link. I must not have put it back together fully. When I took off, this is what happened. I ordered another chain and should be here tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401302239.128198.jpg

drew12345 said:
I made a slight mod to my drivetrain. This involved taking my motor chain off. I used the quick link. I must not have put it back together fully. When I took off, this is what happened. I ordered another chain and should be here tomorrow.

thats one of the things I fear with the mid drive - chain problems - if my hub dies - I still can peddle in granny home...

thanks for sharing though - im getting near having all the things i need for my extreme 19" experiment... if that doesnt work out - shes going back to on road only and then Im getting aft.

drew12345 said:

i put bmx half link chain on mine,it goes straight on and is easier to get the correct length.
darren

Thanks Cheekybloke. John, looking forward to your build. I've been following your thread. Looks like you've been doing a lot of great research. Very helpful to know.

Well, both of my ebikes are down. But I think I fixed this one yesterday. I was having some issues with what sounds like chain skipping. So I swapped out the chain and cassette. But that didn't resolve the problem. Then Jim at AFT said it might be the freewheel in rear hub. So I had an extra rear wheel laying around and swapped that in. Did a test ride today and didn't skip. Did video below of testing it out on very small hill. Seems like it worked. Time to test on the trail.

[youtube]-x6U9CyQRaI[/youtube]

strange sounds at the back of the wheel bug me too. I seem to get my brake quiet for a bit and then I get it noisy again after going down braking on angle on rough stuff down a mountain....

Good you sorted it. The smaller rear eats mountains, its just traction now. Ie if you walk up these mountain trails you feet will slide down with out spikes.

Short bursts of smooth stuff with a run up is not worth much to talk about, its starting from zero on a steep section where the motor has no chance to get up to speed at all...

anyhow I am overly happy with how the hub goes, I just cant do jumps as I fear braking the wheel.... your mid drive will beat me there hands down :)

Hey John. Yeah, looks like you made a great decision with your setup. I might do the same for my hub bike and start using that off-road also.

Here's a video I did at local trail that I've done before. Difference this time is grade shown so you can see how steep some of the hills climbed. This trail is a lot of twist and turns and short steep hills. The climbs are not long but very technical. Sorry, couldn't add KPH to gauges because my speed sensor is not working and keep forgetting to look at it. All I have is my GPS speed in MPH and cannot convert that automatically.

I have a few videos coming in next few days that shows me hitting a small mountain.

[youtube]t84qGmp_bDY[/youtube]

This is a small mountain not too far from where I live. It's only open during workday so seldom go there. In this video, I do a 2.5 minute non stop climb. It's very tough as the climb is full of loose dirt, pebbles, rocks and ruts. The grade reaches over 20% several points along the way and averages over 10% most of the time. This is part 1 of 4 videos.

[youtube]yEUMumi9clw[/youtube]

looks very efficient

Yeah on paper this AFT mid drive kit should be one of the most efficient kits out their.
It will be a lot more efficient then the GNG/Lightning rods and also the bafang BBs02.

Chain drive and Single stage strait cut planetary reduction is probably one of the most efficient drive systems you can make. The reason is belt drive of the GNG is not as efficient as chain drive and strait cut gears are not as efficient as the multi stage helical gears in the Bafang. But then also AFT uses ceramic bearings on the motor and gearbox which would make it even more efficient again.

John Bozi said:
looks very efficient, no doubt my hub is more efficient in 20" wheel but nowhere near your ability to granny gear the power at such low speeds.

What's the longest ride you've done with your current battery set up?

Thanks, the ability to use the gears definitely makes it efficient. I was climbing all over the mountain in that gear. Motor stayed mostly warm. I took couple of small breaks when it got hot but recovered very quickly. I still want to try a small hub setup on my other bike because its just more simple to just turn the throttle. I'm sure you would leave me behind on those smooth fire trails but I think I would make it up the steeper stuff because of the gears. Pro's and Con's to both setups seems like.

Longest ride so far is 4 hours and sure I had more left. I have to go back and see one of my earlier posts about it. I haven't spent a whole day to see how far I could take it but would like to someday.

Gab said:
looks very efficient

Yeah on paper this AFT mid drive kit should be one of the most efficient kits out their.
It will be a lot more efficient then the GNG/Lightning rods and also the bafang BBs02.

Chain drive and Single stage strait cut planetary reduction is probably one of the most efficient drive systems you can make. The reason is belt drive of the GNG is not as efficient as chain drive and strait cut gears are not as efficient as the multi stage helical gears in the Bafang. But then also AFT uses ceramic bearings on the motor and gearbox which would make it even more efficient again.

Thanks Gab. I'm still learning what reduction is. Good to know.

Part 2 of 4. This video is riding down one of the smaller hills. I almost lost control at one point because I hit a bunch of rocks. Unfortunately, you can't go fast downhill at this place because of loose rocks everywhere.

[youtube]9uWqcuHHcQk[/youtube]

Here are last 2 videos of my ride.

This is another uphill video but not as long as first one but smoother trail.
[youtube]sIbsdZIVYqA[/youtube]

As my first video was going up one side of mountain. This is going down the other side. Can't go fast because of all the loose rocks. I wish it was smoother trail.
[youtube]mSrwnL9ZK_c[/youtube]

call me old but that much rough rock and root just makes for an annoying ride. I don't mind the occasional spot to negotiate but constant hits to wrists or shocks to other parts of the body just doesn't make riding fun.

It looks rough on your bike too. Do you use power while hitting these things or only power on smoother stuff. I am guessing pulling hard on the drivetrain while the derailleurs are swinging around is not probably best practise?

Also, I like a bit of music but is it possible to overlay the motor and other real audio over the music? I try to have it louder than the music so it always comes over.

Just my 2 cent taste, thanks.

Hey John. Thanks. Yeah, this place is rough. But like the rough stuff sometimes because it's challenging and technical. I'm using power unless going downhill. The bike does take a beating but worth it for me. Thanks for video tip.

Just got back from business trip so was eager to get out and ride. Did a ride to trail and back.

[youtube]fBs9kDOj07M[/youtube]

Yeah, never noticed how close they were until you mentioned it :shock: I'm glad they cleared. I just added that chain guard. I've had it since I bought the kit but never put it on.

In regards to battery on bike, probably not anytime soon. I just don't like how it handles with the batteries on bike. But for fun, might throw my battery bag on there one day. Haven't tried it with my new bag.

I'm started to get bored with my other electric bike riding on the road. I don't like dealing with the cars. Probably why I never bought a rode bike. So might convert that bike for offroad with a hub but use smaller rear wheel like what you have. Then I can have two types of offroad bikes :D I was wondering also how a 2WD would handle off road?

This is very small park near where I used to live. It was very boring to mountain bike since it was just mainly grass paths. However, surprisingly found it very fun on an electric bike. It was a change from the tight single track. And no one was there so felt like I had the whole place to myself.

Note: Couple weird things in video. I accidentally flipped the video so everything has mirror effect. And the grade doesn't show negative because type of control. Didn't think worth re-doing so left it.

[youtube]5XFh6NHJWjk[/youtube]

you were hooning in there in sections, nice, and liked the last few alternative shots :)

Been thinking whether there's a cheap high quality small microphone I could attach near the rear to get some clear sound of the motor revs...

Thanks John. It was a lot of fun.

I started another thread on how to add gauges/overlays to your videos. It's part 1 of several videos.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61995

Hiya, I'm hunting some info and came across your thread.
I'm looking at an EX7 tomorrow (its a 2008) and I'm on the hunt for a bike for my next build which will be using LightningRods version of the GNG450 mid-drive motor.
Not a million miles away from the AFT setup with the way it attaches to the bottom bracket.

What size is the bottom bracket on the EX7 do you remember? Did you have any troubles with the motor brackets going onto the BB? (or anywhere else on your AFT build?)

Cheers,
Tom

Back