• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Drewjet's road-racer Ebike build thread-w/ Video

drewjet

10 kW
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
821
Location
Orlando, FL USA
I have been planning this build for quite a while. I statrted dreaming of a race bike when the first death race bike was announced. I have slowly been gathering the parts to do so. Some I have held off as I have been awaiting their arrival to the general public. Matt was going to make a 4" astro motor and I know how powerful a single 3220 is, so figured the 4" would be able to handle the riggors of racing. So far it's not available. Then the Colasus was announced, and still no real availability, plus no control that can realease the beast. I did buy a 24 FET from Steveo in anticipation, but so far it has only seen some use in testing. I bought some front forks, and a rear shock thinking I wanted a full suspension bike. My goal has been to build the bike from scratch, so I also bought a bottom bracket tube and cartridge, and head tube bearings.

So while awaiting the arrival of my dream brushless motor, an Etek brushed motor shows up on the forum for a really good price. I have one of these in my electrathon and at 1000 watt average draw and bursts up to 3000 watts on only 24 volts it reamains barely above ambient. Seems to me this could make a nice race motor at 72 volts, although a bit heavy. I have also been playing with the devolper kit Nuvinci and am really impressed with it, so I picked up another of these. I also have a crap load of the Sony 18650 v batteries coming (another great to hard to pass up deals here on the sphere), but would prefer to use the turnigy nanotechs.

While dayreaming of my bike one day I come to the conclusion that building a frame from the ground up may be more work than I want to do, not to mention the lack of a frame jig. I come up with the idea of buying a steel mountain bike that has a 1 1/8 headset and 3 piece crancks cut the rear end off and just make the extended rear end. This assures a straight frame, and removes a whole lot of work. I start searching Craig'slist and after just a few days come accross this for $75
It weighs 41 lbs as pictured. Steel is heavy!
2011-09-30 08.29.09.jpg
 
I removed everything and chopped of the rear triangle.
It now weighs 10 lbs
View attachment 1

I made my new rear dropouts from 3/8 steel plate. Even though this is a mid drive, the Nuvinci needs the axle to not spin, becuase of the internal gearing.
2011-10-03 12.33.38.jpg
 
Alright Drew. Can't wait to see the progress of this build.
 
Very nice work so far! Very excited to see more. 8)
 
drewjet said:
I have been planning this build for quite a while. I statrted dreaming of a race bike when the first death race bike was announced.
You have 18 days to build your race bike for the SoCal Motor Bicycle Race
on Sat Oct 22nd
If you can stay on the West Coast for a week you could do the Death race in
Tucson too on Oct 29th
Are you going to make it?
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31157
 
MotorBicycleRacing said:
drewjet said:
I have been planning this build for quite a while. I statrted dreaming of a race bike when the first death race bike was announced.
You have 18 days to build your race bike for the SoCal Motor Bicycle Race
on Sat Oct 22nd
If you can stay on the West Coast for a week you could do the Death race in
Tucson too on Oct 29th
Are you going to make it?
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31157

At this point, I highly doubt that I will make it to Cali for those events.
 
I had a chance to get to my friends house who has a tube bender and Mig welder. The result is the frame is nearly ready, just need motor and battery mounts.


2011-10-04 17.01.20.jpg
2011-10-04 17.01.31.jpg
 
Definitely looking slick there drew. When we get our bikes done we gotta get together and go for a ride.
 
Jay64 said:
Definitely looking slick there drew. When we get our bikes done we gotta get together and go for a ride.

Ride...or race...!

Yeah baby, looking forward to it. Maybe we need to organize a Central Florida get-together ride, especially now the the weather has gotton so nice.
 
AussieJester said:
Sick! plenty of room for motor AND lipo now!

KiM

Thanks AJ, that means alot coming from you.
 
Nice job! Looks great Drew!
 
drewjet said:
Jay64 said:
Definitely looking slick there drew. When we get our bikes done we gotta get together and go for a ride.

Ride...or race...!

Both! Ha ha.

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing something on this side of the country. We gotta get an idea of how many people would be interested in doing this. I'm sure Tostino would want to be part of it too.
 
Really nice, how did the welding go? It looks clean!

I may have to try an make the Death Race this year if everybody is building bikes for it. Soo cool, I hope this catches on, cart tracks are perfect for these power levels.
 
my buddy did the welding for me. He has a small miller Mig unit, and is starting to get pretty good at it. I personally am a horrible welder.
 
Finally work stopped getting in my way and I got the tabs mounted for the motor mounts

These will have a 1/4 alluminum plate conecting the upper and lower tabs, to which the motor will mount. It should give me a lot of flexability to try amny different motors.
2011-10-13 16.45.16.jpg
View attachment 1

And a teaser pic with the front frork temp mounted. The front is a 26 and the rear is a 20. they will both be replaced with the Perilli 22's
2011-10-13 16.47.37.jpg
 
drewjet said:
Finally work stopped getting in my way and I got the tabs mounted for the motor mounts

These will have a 1/4 alluminum plate conecting the upper and lower tabs, to which the motor will mount. It should give me a lot of flexability to try amny different motors.
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

And a teaser pic with the front frork temp mounted. The front is a 26 and the rear is a 20. they will both be replaced with the Perilli 22's

Simply Gorgeous!

I love the fact that you are re-using an used frame and welding up that extended rear triangle!

I hope you don't mind if I show your design to my friend that is now wanting to use a hub motor as mid-drive, as he will probably wana steel your design! :mrgreen: :p :lol:
 
Use it. This place is an open network. I would take it as a compliment.
 
Work keeps getting in the way of my fun. I finall got a little bit of progress. Motor is mounted, front forks in, temporary kickstand in (no real race bike has a girly kickstand).

Still need brakes, controller, battery, peddle chain.

I temp mounted a front wheel and didn't get the back hookworm switched out for the Perelli yet, but here is a pic
2011-10-23 10.42.23.jpg
 
My family is in Sebastian and New Port Richey. If y'all start organizing a Florida race, I just might have to make some plans to attend. We have machines to cut, grind, weld, mill and turn parts. Throwing something together would not be difficult, up in the throw away country. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NICE Bike drewjet 8) 8)
 
Look'n good!! :D :D

I'm guessing all that extra space between the motor and seat post is for batteries?

Love how you have brought the crank forward too in this design. 8)
 
Harold in CR said:
My family is in Sebastian and New Port Richey. If y'all start organizing a Florida race, I just might have to make some plans to attend. We have machines to cut, grind, weld, mill and turn parts. Throwing something together would not be difficult, up in the throw away country. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NICE Bike drewjet 8) 8)

Thanks Harold. Hopefully between myself and Jay, we can get something going. If you come you need to get John to come also.
 
Back
Top