E-S LMX 64 Bike Owners

Bike looking great there Dirty-Kurty :D
Please write your impression after the first ride..

I took out the motor of my LMX64 today.
Dirt easily builds up between motor and controller.
Also had a look at the secret sause of the LMX64 sprocket :shock: :shock:

3RvK635AN4OZyOkAMhx4iKltMT4btq8G19kRpoGuwZCwMmWbpSyv5OVxA9JkWJQwqfMsLD9JL_6wqccBzF_cgCjFLnAzGcEjS4uv7GE6bS83kjHfSnvAWpdQvDNqUR-VRfGxbQZYCpTvhijgtTN6I1cTJaK0UA6gHOmzqQLLOXj9vSzDm-mTnBuevgtKLnCJJ2MKE09-XQu8jLYEJNYAtyR2n5s2_yeo8DK4MScNodi_tn6BliQETg_45YzfZpTZjv8ME1RTtFuLzpBYl_7TnN4dhvWKZNsNhyWLEHaM5N1p61yzxuDNq4EDe1qC7eSne2hW1LIHIUyw-TtTKApi_sY_NiXvywQMRq8p4Jg3YZphqyH0uxhyom-r7tudPFWQqmK15t7p-ybaQ9lLy_ViNWKjOEQvii4-R0_0Ooa1VLKPRjkgRIB3AZiL-q5UiYweu7_Elnk1S5ycEeKbWX6SuYrxt3-bKulauVDox2Wqj8vq0JLz7uGiwhPIDsYjOoVZsUoGELLG__8iydjz2pqYBYBPDwifujAUPwBinSHNmkMJ9dyOjWAqLlmH5W4aS963HaNjPeHIJ8JyO61ClpxfoexMSt9QhiNIYXELjYmhCCi04cZJSiEj5P2HxJL4XFHkNP90NIMGZ3hAaolElcAjC87WwpIo95EU=w1074-h1907-no

koYces2Q_HLqoXPz0yF1TybcApW6DvsCDeZhmGNDEP9hvxs-hIFHQxfqePs19GKli8i4cdWIrl98JoxK4Ie7iVOtggSWTDO7-oLesDzmzuYC60A-OE2zpPdfP-95t4hArCyLLjKJ9gZsEypy7KPqrkeq57usHjyJJO-Mdyomuc92nYXwkMHr63MHXXCHlb70hwiuHxpFMEAsBBG6Eq9V1BLHc-f6ukPqb_19F6jZkcawnKcL8di7QBpW1OX3MVWvde--DYbZ2A5fZDyPdQKJHTFDCGrk4sGZRzMuTDQ8e8_rXIHo5urNy0-t8iB1pR1Ygbn3FVqv9XuVaZ324Use1KGMkKm02la-S6aObKt4NA-FSbOOE5wnGCjxxWXXqunIG7j_3L4oYx_Pmxz-ImBiuzMjzY_dUTKjJ1w61WtAhc9NyLzds8dyQuz0uBfHrRC92BOgRM24R4FmwJ7a7rtIbZl_MF8BSPCnPmWxi-cfDcfLxthPPX8dMjZJggTI8jkjx23pmLHYRs5aeDghMaQ80emyhSDqVEDcJgZlUhr_XaKiOcN-mFZkBlFiYhy3VOls9XH1NqQ1_sN7zK0u09LkY8DHkTAomnensc6Ps_FlAzhid1DK22FSc07xXbTYdRi5CnYLpC29gGkeR4dROiG5BVWzUbweSz72vpvaWPNoTHNql7zyxcJIaLNfoKOf3Hp_1vZhnCMU2_jOPtUCnT9KbcZ58w=w1074-h1907-no

IHhbu0_U8EFxfgwj1Mg7NH6Bu-fzXzA-zt2GIxhcYXRheeHnXi7XtYPqzbYIZyObv6fmfHK1nnjKB4Bd-S9zuaxM_P-ZyM0rE2WgR7Y-ROvpzOC-iLWWmihIsDkSTWbr3txyGeUD-ggnldRU_gTgXk8qZEGesOVJS2fP9CLuvXVoADNXwUBw4FVofPv9frrnTsN5WZXkYZkD4FBjSrxnpDkwCXIK2O0dbfy6-YeFISPiW4T-RH-gEnWLDhWxM7aWwaOqtjRUSBkmI7QQ-mT_xyfXF4hdcAG0ZlqeSpoQ95AuzqFbbrVvkdRiU4eyzdhKf3fkMHMztRFiBDyjsZOE0FA5-BRdE0L3FYo-zAPxBLZBIy-WC7Oto25SVw2XxJVlmhr4a7W3OP4pxMIy8FGE4D7NX_yYXWMENGYaHAykcV0CpOiZsva1Y3pWnnzoaMmOUwMzprh09wR-cKA00pQlGhEey1yCghNVU2QpNYo05qgpPg6d6PuseqnC1kwKbA3DnzIIfio4CK4rDxed7V6Gi3aGyGF3YToaglnTVC2N4H4f_UyoD9chhjVG5Tju8l1ZeMk8eETd5j4zFMp9COhLUx2UVDESI4uWSySs-nknsD5qiSaLZ076eyj96FNb6d4Iq3Aas8KxxFBSLuDPQqKU1N1v4iuvaZR_8AL04d77HI0YnatpxMIHrpPn0aNzkZohC7GYSoFv9WQe9HnsY7RpG2SUvA=w3392-h1907-no

It was really easy to take the motor out. Controller was a tight fit, but no problem, so really easy to service.
Think i will try to apply some thermal pads to the motor, to try and isolate noise from the sprocket, but also increase heat transfer from motor to frame.
I have tried to press my legs on the frame while riding, but that did nothing to the sound.

Have you tried powering the motor whilst on and then off the bike frame without the front cog attached. Could be worth seeing how much noise is being generated by the frame itself.

I have not tried that, but that would be easy enough to try. I dont believe it will make any noise though as i think it is the chain on the sprocket that generates noise..

We try next week a chain 219 o-ring to our bike. Have good results on other bikes with that chain.

They are not cheap.... https://www.kkckartshop.co.uk/karts-components/chain-sprockets/chains/rk-blue-o-ring-racing-chain.html

I’m looking into getting a front sprocket 3D printed. There are some tough plastics out there these days including some composites that are printable. Even if they are disposable items. They are really easy to swap. How much of the load does the front sprocket actually carry? No where near what the rear does. I’ve contacted a local service to see if they can 3D scan a sprocket and then print it. Hopefully trying out some different plastics. ABS, polycarbonate, nylon compound, or even CF compound

Merlin said:
Those cart chains are short. ~70cm.
You need 160cm ~
That means you have to buy 3 of them and using 3 master links.

How come? If they are 219 pitch and 108 links, how will they not fit? What am I missing? I’m obviously counting my link incorrectly.. Oops!

Haah :lol:

Anyway, i am pretty sure that lmx tried O ring chain and it made little difference. Is that also what Surron riders found?

Don't know... I asked about oring chains and mostly they said it eats efficiency... But I can't imagine that those o-ring kills your efficiency more then a bad lubed chain
X-ring would be the deal but you can't buy 219 x-ring chains :(

Surron has 420 chain. So abit bigger. Less chain speed also makes the chain sound deeper.

But... Finished yesterday my outdoor noise level measurements.... Guess what? :p

Cowardlyduck said:
Having no idea about these things...I have to ask, how hard would it be to convert over to belt drive?

Would that make a big difference?

Cheers
It cannot be done on an lmx as it is direct drive from frame to swingarm. As the swingarm alters position the belt will get slacker n tighter, a belt needs constant tension. Belt can be used on Surron as it has a reduction 'jack shaft' and the belt drive section does not change tension.
https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/3280167576/TB2ywkJdQonyKJjSZFtXXXNaVXa_!!3280167576.jpg

Merlin said:
Don't know... I asked about oring chains and mostly they said it eats efficiency... But I can't imagine that those o-ring kills your efficiency more then a bad lubed chain
X-ring would be the deal but you can't buy 219 x-ring chains :(

Surron has 420 chain. So abit bigger. Less chain speed also makes the chain sound deeper.

But... Finished yesterday my outdoor noise level measurements.... Guess what? :p

Guess what.... They are both F**king loud!

brumbrum said:
They are not cheap.... https://www.kkckartshop.co.uk/karts-components/chain-sprockets/chains/rk-blue-o-ring-racing-chain.html

I’m looking into getting a front sprocket 3D printed. There are some tough plastics out there these days including some composites that are printable. Even if they are disposable items. They are really easy to swap. How much of the load does the front sprocket actually carry? No where near what the rear does. I’ve contacted a local service to see if they can 3D scan a sprocket and then print it. Hopefully trying out some different plastics. ABS, polycarbonate, nylon compound, or even CF compound

I belive a CNC'ed front sprocket would be much stronger then a 3d printed one.
And it needs to be VERY strong as it takes a lot of load compared to the rear sprocket. In front you have much fewer tooths to distribute the load over then in the rear.

brumbrum said:
It cannot be done on an lmx as it is direct drive from frame to swingarm. As the swingarm alters position the belt will get slacker n tighter, a belt needs constant tension. Belt can be used on Surron as it has a reduction 'jack shaft' and the belt drive section does not change tension.
https://img.alicdn.com/imgextra/i3/3280167576/TB2ywkJdQonyKJjSZFtXXXNaVXa_!!3280167576.jpg

Good point, didn't think about that.

I've ordered almost all my parts now, just got the front chain-ring to go.
What is the biggest front chain-ring others have used? What would you recommend Adam?

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
brumbrum said:

Good point, didn't think about that.

I've ordered almost all my parts now, just got the front chain-ring to go.
What is the biggest front chain-ring others have used? What would you recommend Adam?

Cheers

I would recommend slightly larger then stock. But i dont know how large stock is.. :?

anybody get EVER a newsletter email from lmx?

if i wouldnt check the shop by my self i would never know about new stuff.

https://lmxbikes.com/en/drivetrain/203-12t-219-pitch-sprocket.html

https://lmxbikes.com/en/spare-parts/202-12t-219-pitch-sprocket.html

who is first? =)

Merlin said:
anybody get EVER a newsletter email from lmx?

if i wouldnt check the shop by my self i would never know about new stuff.

https://lmxbikes.com/en/drivetrain/203-12t-219-pitch-sprocket.html

https://lmxbikes.com/en/spare-parts/202-12t-219-pitch-sprocket.html

who is first? =)

I'm first! Arrived a few days ago.
I'm currently testing out the 14t version. :thumb:
My 161 is Much quieter at lower speeds. The rubber ring helps take away some of the chain chatter. I realise now that due to the high Rpm motor noise it would be futile to expect major noise reduction. At WOT the noise remains similar, but overall there is a noticable difference. Its a step on the right direction.
When installing, i would suggest putting some grease on the outer face of the metal sleeve that holds the rubber ring on. The sleeve is very very close to the frame and can actually cause a little noise itself.
If there were any room for future improvement maybe another rubber ring on the outside face of the sprocket to further dampen down chain contact..... Although this would mean fabrication to the sprocket.

I am stilling looking into possible fabriction of a sprocket made from a composite or resin. I'm also looking up sprcket configurators to design my own.

Back